1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Instruments

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Nigel worth, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Nigel worth

Nigel worth Member

Ok here’s one for all the gurus
    How interchangeable are instrument clusters
    As long as the wiring is hooked up correctly they should be interchangeable yes???
    Also on the xj 750 ex cop bike it has the digital police meter so does this mean you don’t need a speedo cable???

again any suggestions hints tips help information greatly appreciated
    Cheers

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Which bike clusters are you referring to? There are many XJ’s. You GOT to be a bit more specific.

3. Nigel worth

Nigel worth Member

Not just xj any instrumentation doesn’t have to be Yamaha

4. Nigel worth

Nigel worth Member

Ok will xj600 to Speedo work on xj 750 so ???

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I have got XJ600 clocks the pre diversion machine on my 900f, they work fine.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Both the xj600 pre-diversion, and the xj600 seca II speedometers are cable-driven. They both are able to be dis-assembled. You ‘ll have to remove the Rear housing, then remove the front cover. After that, remove the two screws at the back next to the speedo fitting in order to remove the speedo head. You’ll probably need to remove the face and swap it with the face for your bike. To do that; CAREFULLY pull the need off. Make sure that the needle is sliding off the shaft, cuz if the shaft comes out, you’re done—you won’t be able to replace that. After you slide the needle off,remove the two screws that hold the face on. Then do the same thing to the other speedo. Swap parts

to replace the needed, it’s as simple as pressing it back on.

HOWEVER - BE AWARE.......you have to ‘index or pre-load’ the needle. But it’s not difficult.

Here’s how I do it. The needle should be against the need stop, since the speedo isn’t moving. (if it is, stop riding and get off the bike NOW!!!!). I carefully lift the need over the stop so it is on the underside. That removes all preload and lets the needle come to its own. ‘Centered’ stop. I take not of THAT position. When I re-install the needle, I put the needle back on at THAT position. Then simply carefully lift the needle back over the needle stop. Now the prep-load is the same as before. All done.

7. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Nigel worth... I think you will be better off finding help and info' if you keep all your questions in one thread rather than have multiple overlapping posts. Are you in Newcastle NSW ? I am in Vic' and have some XJ750 seca '81 '82 parts I am willing to part with that you may need. I don't check in here like I used to but you will find plenty of help for your project here. Good luck with it.

hogfiddles likes this.