1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is it time to sell my XJ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cortlillard, Aug 12, 2019.

1. cortlillard

cortlillard New Member

I've had my XJ650 for 6 wonderful years, learned to ride on her, and have dragged her through 3 states. I taught 5-6 people how to ride her, and enjoyed doing it. She's running better now than ever before, has new tires, electrical redone, and clean carbs. I decided I wanted another bike at the end of last year and got a beautiful 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, and it's been a blast to ride, but I hardly ever ride my old XJ anymore.

I decided to list my XJ650 for $1100 and got a nibble, but now i'm having a heavy heart. The person interested is a coworker, and it would be his first bike. A fantastic learner bike in my opinion. I know I don't *need* to own 2 motorcycles, but I have a feeling I will regret selling it just because i know how good the XJ is right now. What are your thoughts? Should I let he go , or keep her in my garage only for me to use occasionally?
    DSCN7778.JPG

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You already answered your question.

Jetfixer, Franz and raskal like this.
  3. raskal

raskal Active Member

She runs well, because she gets used. Will that continue?

Stumplifter and Jetfixer like this.
  4. XJ4/550

XJ4/550 New Member

Keep it, you will miss the simplicity of an older bike and the joy of riding it. Modern bikes are great but have no "soul" so to speak!

Jetfixer and cgutz like this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Your sixth sense is telling you to keep it, well that is what I would do but at the end of the day it is your decision.

6. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

How much ammo can the kawasaki hold?

7. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I will be the odd man out here. Sell it, if you don't ride a motorcycle it will just endlessly accumulate maintenance, but get none of the smiles. Having to ride it, instead of your newer bike, just to "put some miles on it" will get old.

Let someone else enjoy it, take the money, and a bunch of pics. I did this with my 750 seca, repainted, everything rebuilt. Sold it to a coworker and he dropped it in 2 weeks. Still rode the piss out of it. Had a chain guide fail, split the cases. He never finished it, and ended up scrapping the whole thing a couple of years later to clean out the garage. I don't feel a thing and don't miss it, so many other bikes have come along since then.

8. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

It only costs the price of insurance to hold on to it I have 3 bikes and I ride each of them at least once every week or so and keep them full of fuel and on a battery tender. One for any mood I'm in.

Personally, I would hold on to it until you are absolutely sure you want to sell it.

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

We all don't *need* two bikes, or three or whatever number, but this is what keeps us happy.

Jetfixer and Timbox like this.
  10. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I currently have 3 XJ's in the stable. 2 are registered, insured and ready to go whenever I want. The 3rd is not registered yet, but it is coming along with a good cleanup/resto. Not sure what I'll do when I have 3 "runners" on my hands, but I feel like I'll never be without at least 1 XJ no matter what other motorcycles find their way to my garage. :)

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it's a shame to sell a bike with new tires, you should try them out for a few K miles first

Jetfixer and saftie like this.
  12. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I've regretted selling all the bikes I've owned , the one I wished I'd kept was an 84 Kawasaki 550 LTD shaft drive , I tend to keep bikes for a period of time , I had this bike for 10 years rode to Ohio,Kentucky , Illinois, Michigan . I sold it to a kid down the street from where I used to live , a month after he bought it ,he put armour all on the tires and spilled bike , I seen bike a year later totally ragged out:( . The other bike I miss is the 82 Honda CB750 custom I bought with 4500 miles from original owner , I made money on it but should have held onto it,was mint perfect chrome 4 pipe exhaust system . Had to replace original tires, and fixed charging system . My XJ 750 Seca my original plan was to flip it....but plans change I have kept it and will hold onto it for awhile longer. I would really have sellers remorse:D

13. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Getting off topic here but selling a bikes to as far away as possible always seems to be best.
    This way you don't have to see your old flame 'go up in flames' (see what I did here?).

Sold a bike that I never really worked on to my neighbors for a big profit. The PO had put a lot of work into it and it ran really nice.
    Now and after 4 month, I have to look at that bike every day, it's barely covered, and that formerly clean bike is showing signs of weathering away. It's a shame. Can't imagine how I'd feel if I had put a lot of blood and tears into that one.

Stumplifter likes this.
  14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I had a CB 750 K2 and sold it when I was young, my biggest bike selling mistake. Person who bought it wrecked it.

15. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Keeping

Pros - it's not really worth much so the gain is small; you have a back up bike if the other breaks or gets stolen. You get to stare at it if that's your thing.

Cons - it takes up space, will require ongoing maintenance even if not used,

Selling
    Pro (?)- you get a 1000 US that you wife/girlfriend/lover can spend on shoes or handbags.

Con - your co-worker will pester you for maintenance advice - you might also get 'jealous'

16. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

I just bought a 2019 Indian Chieftain Darkhorse, I'm still rebuilding my XJ750.

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

A big V Twin

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am always on the look out for a 1100 or bigger big V. It is fun to have one in the stable.

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Tried my cousins Aprillia V 1000 nice bike, but I prefer the XJ.

20. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

What are you looking for in a bike? Speed, carving corners, relaxing, long distance, less wind blast, daily commute to work....
    I'm a a fan of all things Japanese and never liked Harleys much but I've been really drawn to the Indians and the fact that they have the reputation to be far more reliable than Harley. When test riding some, I came close to buying the Scout Bobber but upon thinking about my real use, I want to go on long distance rides with family and friends to northern Arizona, Mexico, and wherever else!
    I don't like the living-room-on-wheels look but I loved the look of the Chieftain Dark horse, it awesome torque and the fact that it's nimble like a small bike, plus it's very comfortable, navigation, full front fairing, music, ride-by-wire ease. adjustable top wind screen, and they're very reliable.
    My first bike was an 07 Triumph Daytona 675.
    I tried an '15 Triumph Thunderbird and traded that in for the Indian after 2 weeks and a long trip...

I really do like the metal look of your tank BTW, I wanted to do that but my tank had some body work and it was the beginning of my project so I went Black since it's easier.