1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

jis screwdrivers dont seem to fit right?.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Dec 23, 2019.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all.
    i'm renovating a spare set of carbs for my xj600 ,they're mikuni BS32s. i'm replacing the throttle shaft seals, and when removing the shaft butterfly screws, the jis screwdrivers don't fit the screw heads. I used the screwdrivers on other jis screws previously, and they seem to fit fine. the small butterfly screws have the "dot" mark on the head but none of the screwdrivers fit !. I did get them out ok , after grinding the peening off and using an ordinary phillips driver. the markings on the screwdrivers, ( actually they are screwdriver "bits" that fit into the end of a handle) are marked PH0,PH1,PH2,and PH3
    anyone know why.
    upload_2019-12-23_11-1-46.png
    upload_2019-12-23_11-2-30.png
    upload_2019-12-23_11-3-19.png
    upload_2019-12-23_11-4-31.png
    upload_2019-12-23_11-9-34.png

the last picture is the phillips driver?
    sorry for large pictures, I dunno how to do the link thing.
    cheers
    stu

2. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

The bits you are using are for Philips Head screws; not JIS. The markings PH0 ( Philips head size 0 ), PH1 ( Philips head size 1 ), PH2 ( Philips head size 2 ), PH3 (Philips head size 3 ) tell you they are for Philips head screws.

hogfiddles likes this.
  3. bensalf

hmm, well they were advertised as jis on ebay.
    so what markings would be on the jis ones.
    thanks
    stu

4. bensalf

just double checked on ebay, and there are loads of screwdriver "bits" advertised as j.i.s. , but are stamped PH0,1,2,3,.
    so, would it be best to order some of the "vessel" bits.
    thanks
    stu

5. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that always gives me a chance to bring all my screwdrivers together and see what fits, it's never a insert

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

8. bensalf

thanks, Huntchuks, but that item doesn't ship to uk. but I can find the vessel ones on uk ebay, so i'll order them after Christmas.
    happy Christmas ,to you all.
    stu

9. Huntchuks

Well, I received the JIS screwdriver ballgrip with inserts yesterday and it is a nice set. The inserts are long so when in the handle is it like a normal length screwdriver. At first glance it appears there are duplicates of two sizes but in reality one is a phillips and the other jis for those two sizes.

10. Huntchuks

Hmmm, an edit to my previous post, a couple of heads are not JIS nor Phillips. They are PoziDrive and since I don't otherwise have any PoziDrive heads, this is a good thing. BTW, the JIS head is working beautifully on the butterfly valve screws.

11. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I took an Apex bit and ground down the tip slightly and worked perfect . Here is tip use a little valve grinding compound put some into the screw head , push screws diver in firmly , the grit of the compound will keep it from slipping and usually allows screw to be backed out.

12. bensalf

got my " jis" drivers for Christmas from (lo and behold) a local tool store chain (Machine Mart) not a mile from where I live.
    upload_2019-12-26_15-25-2.png

but look what they're stamped, PH1,PH2,PH3,?? . Just the same as the first set of bits I bought
    w.t.f.

upload_2019-12-26_15-27-53.png

but :::: these bits fit!!!!

I think there is a lot of confusion out there regarding J.I.S. , phillips and pozi drivers
    especially by tool suppliers and ebay sellers, it appears the j.i.s. drivers will fit phillips screws, hence the stampings, but not the other way around.
    so it pays to double check the fit before going ahead and gouging the screw heads up, especially on carburettors.
    thanks all
    stu

13. toranscott

toranscott New Member

Yes,the JIS will also fit Philips, just not the other way around. The Vessel driver does work very well and is easily the cheapest option of the bunch on Amazon. Just wish it had a couple more bits for flat heads (the flat head isn't wide enough for main jets and pilot jets and is too wide to fully tighten the air mixture screws down to set the back out). They are mostly needed for the "philips" type screws anyway.

14. Huntchuks

I don't think there is a JIS flathead. I think they include them so they can boost the number of screwdrivers or bits in the package. BTW, I bought the extra long screwdriver set from Harbor Freight and ground down the width of the flat head and it works perfectly in the mixture screw wells and is plenty long enough to extend through the frame with the tank off.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-super-long-screwdriver-set-34253.html

15. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

:::Cover your ears purists:::

I have a multi bit set and that’s what I’ve used on my carbs with great success, including a full breakdown.

Replaced the butterfly plate screws with hex caps and one day I’ll be doing the same for everything