1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Lets hope its starts *(it did!)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SilentRaven, Jun 20, 2013.

1. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

I like this carb stand......even better & cheaper & quicker to build than the PVC model....

Thanks for sharing....

I just put mine together in about 5 minutes....except I used my good carb boots.....didnt have spare ones laying around........attach 2 feet of vac line to hook to aux gas tank & vice grips to close off fuel.......ready to put board in vise, quick adjustment to level carbs, & then set floats....

Josh,

great idea & thanks

[​IMG]

2. jayo84

jayo84 Member

Mine did the exact same thing! rev up on its own, and when you let off the choke it would hardly idle and when you gave it gas, it would shutoff. I have a couple cracks in my intake boots. I temp fixed them with automotive GOOP, and she purrs now!

3. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

ok so today i finished wet setting the floats, and recleaned the carbs, got it all reassembled and it turned right over (with some help from a battery jump box) but i got a good idle and it sounds awesome, i got another video ill post the link when it loads.

thing is now i have some sorta power drain, i believe it has something to do with the head light because that is not staying on constantly, so im guessing its grounding out somewhere and draining power from the battery. it need the jump box every time even with a newly charged battery.

but i am super pleased with the results! thanks to every one for all your advice and for Ted for lending me all your tools, you can have them back now, lol

FiveofaKind your welcome im glad other people like my creative ideas as well!

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Thanks for a great idea! I was gonna chuck my old manifolds in the trash.....no more! One carb stand coming up!

5. fiveofakind

sure beats the PVC stand.....

6. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

that is a great idea for a "fuel tank" fiveofakind that is just what i may do!

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Add an inline fuel filter (I did on my similar "aux tank.")

8. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

heres the video of it running last night it sounds more 'ticky' than it actually is but that probably just because im using my cell phone, and ive always gotten bad sound from cell phone cameras. oh and i got the head light working as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tVCOw-Ph4

9. Ted

Ted Member

Sweeeeeet man. You gonna' ride that thing over tonight for a vacuum sych? :)

Before I got my bike & when my brother was still riding it he had an issue with a constant power drain like that. He would leave the bike turned off for 2 hrs & it would be stone-cold dead every time. It turned out to be the (I think it's called) battery level wire. If i remember correctly on mine it's white with a red stripe and a little diode near the end of it. This used to go to the battery to monitor level but the newer batteries don't have a place to hook it up so it was just laying under the seat and grounding out on the frame.

10. fiveofakind

bigfitz, why the need to add an inline filter just to set the floats....??? Seems overkill to me.....fuel is going into fuel tube directly into the float bowls....& then one is checking them & then draining them.....

11. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Overkill? Fiveofakind have you actually cleaned the pilot circuits of your carbs? If you have then you should know that even the slightest piece of non-gas material will screw that puppy up. Even the PC has a rudimentary filter because *&#! always finds a way to hang with gas. I've yet to meet a 100% clean gas can, tank, container, etc. I would say Fitz' advice is wise and shamelessly easy to do. My auxiliary fuel tank, which is a HDPE bottle that formerly contained pure EtOH lab grade, has the same $5 in-line filter I use for my main tank. Considering the last pilot cleaning took many hours of my time it's a wise investment. NEVER NEVER will I give any foreign *(#@ a chance to enter my carbs-by gas or by air!!!

SilentRaven: your bike sounds really nice and rhythmic and that is mega good for all you've done, but your idle is still just a bit high. Should be able to get it happy right at 1200, and it will sound a bit lopey there but will rev just fine and run out from stop nice and smooth at that spec level rev. Nice work by the way!

12. fiveofakind

MercuryMan,

Yes I have broken my rack & cleaned the carbs and made sure every circuit was opened.

Ok I agree.... a liitle extra measure when setting floats can't hurt.....I just didn't think of it.