1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for some advice/leaking fuel T fitting.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Eldenhiemer, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Eldenhiemer

Eldenhiemer New Member

Heh Everyone wondering if anyone has encountered this issue and if I am correct in my working diagnosis.

86 XJ700S is the bike. Other day was on side standing idling and noted that there was small drip of fuel running down onto ground. This went away when I gave it throttle so I thought that perhaps I had a leaking bowl gasket on the bottom of #3 Carb as it looked like fuel was running off the bowl; and when I goosed it that maybe pulled enough fuel out of bowl to stop leak for a moment.

So I pulled the carbs out (I really need to condition the boots) and took all the bowls off, inspected the gaskets and it all looked good. Nothing leaking while holding them level with fuel in the bowls, all needles and seats clean and not stuck, everything looks clean and clear. So I re-connected the fuel line off of tank, turned it to prime and the bowls looked fine, no obvious leaks from them but there was still small leak from somewhere. I tilted them toward the left to simulate side stand and looks like the leak is coming out around the fitting that splits the fuel line L and R into #2 and 3 carbs in the rack.

Is this something that is common? Or am I missing something? I assume that fitting must have an o ring or something where it goes into carb body that can be causing the leak. I just was looking for some input before I break the rack apart and then have to re-align it etc if that isn't needed.

Forgive me if this is something previously addressed... I am fairly new to the forum but didn't see any other posts like this.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The o-rings will harden with time, and eventually leak.

Start a conversation with chacal. He has the proper replacements in stock.

Franz and hogfiddles like this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

To get the fuel interconnect out you will have to remove carbs from the rail, at this point recommends you take them to church and do full tear down and replace shaft seals ...do it right the first time , you do not want to have to do it later.

hogfiddles likes this.
  4. Jetfixer

Here is picture of one of my spare carb bodies , this shows the butterfly seals these are probably original seals so if you pull the fuel rail as I mentioned replace these seals as well. This carb is fully torn down all jets and seals pulled it is safe to soak in carb cleaner , my preference is Berrymans carb dip in a one gallon can this has a basket inside put carb body in it ,and soak for 45 minutes. When you pull it out use a toothbrush to clean any dirt that remains off, wash carb body in hot soapy water (dawn ) thourhly blow out with compressed air let dry. Then reassemble with all new seals ...xj4ever has the seals , recommend using silicone grease on the seals.( you can get this at ace hardware in plumbing aisle good stuff )

Attached Files:

5. Eldenhiemer

Eldenhiemer New Member

Thanks for the info. Is there any chance that these seals are standard O-rings? And if I only separate the minimum I need to get the fuel interconnect out is re-aligning the carb bodies a reasonable expectation?
    I only ask as I am in Eastern Canada and really only have about a month and a half of decent riding weather left, so I would like to get it back on the road as soon as possible? My plan is to do an almost complete tear down of the bike over the winter to do a moderate restoration, which will include the complete carb visit to church!!

Thoughts?

6. Jetfixer

Bad news all the carbs have to separated, I do not recommend only doing one carb , as I stated do it right first time and you wont have redo it. Buna O rings will work but sorry don't know the size ( I got all my seals from xj4ever)

7. Bradstrac

Bradstrac New Member

This is where I have a fuel leak. I just completed my valve adjustment, got carbs back and now leaking. Carb Leak.jpg

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

700tee.PNG your tee has 1 oring on each side

O-RING
    93210-07180-00
    about 4$ each at a dealership

it may be possible to find something off the shelf to work for you.
    I am in the understanding that o rings for carbs are special sizes I do not know for sure. measure the carb body and the grove on the tee

9. Bradstrac

Bradstrac New Member

Hey thanks XJ550H!
    Is that a parts diagram for an X? When I look at the parts diagram for an 85 maxim X on partzilla, it is not showing an o-ring.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

They are in there and remember when you put them back together with the new rings, to clean the passage ways out really well. Those can be a tight fit going in new with some gunk build up on the carbs. Some MM oil or something will help. Recommended to do a wet run with the carbs out of the bike to make sure you fixed them right. That way you can see if the "O" rings worked and if the float bowls gaskets are also working and not leaking gas all over the place. You will want to do a wet set anyway, so mock the carbs up on a vice or something to simulate they are in the same position as they would be in the bike. Run some gas to them and see how it goes.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

no thats for a XJ700S aircooled
    the X has mikuni carbs. the tee has no orings. it is a molded part. on my 550 i used a tee from a 600 and was able to use the o rings that the 600 used

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

This is why piggybacking on someone else's thread is not recommended. There are literally over a dozen models and sub-models of XJ, each with their own particular needs.