1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Loose Chain

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JamesLightning, Oct 10, 2010.

1. JamesLightning

JamesLightning New Member

Hello hello,

After doing some work that involved taking off the rear wheel of my 82 Maxim 550, I noticed upon replacing all/the wheel that my chain is rather loose. It has almost 3inches of play compared to the 1.4-1.6 recommended by the manual. I have used the wheel adjusters to their full potential and am left with still a loose chain.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this? Should/can I remove a link of the chain? and if so, what is the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks!
    James

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

How many miles are on the bike?

Unless the PO installed the incorrect chain, it's most likely a sign that the chain and sprockets are worn out and need to be replaced, and SOON.

To check chain and sprocket wear: Put the bike on the centerstand and grab ahold of a pin in the chain that's at the 3:00 position on the sprocket. Pull straight rearward. (See illustration.)

[​IMG]

If you expose more than half of the adjacent sprocket teeth, then it's time for a new chain AND SPROCKETS. BOTH sprockets. They're not expensive and it's not difficult.

I strongly recommend against shortening the chain. If your chain breaks it can loop back around and tear the starter mountings out of the engine casting and completely ruin your motor; and possibly crash you in the process.

If your chain really is that worn out stop riding the bike NOW until you fix it.

Hopefully you had the rear wheel off checking the brake shoes...

3. jeffcoslacker

jeffcoslacker Member

I had a chain break and do a wrap around the rear hub on a CB350...not fun. Rear locked up, luckily only about 25-30 mph, was able to ride the skid to a safe stop.

Dumb question, but it is still wrapped around the front sprocket, yes? Didn't fall off and get around the side of the sprocket?

4. clipperskipper

clipperskipper Member

Great read on the subject Fitz, we can add these items to our spares thread.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I suppose, but if you keep a log book and stay on top of your chain maintenance, it's not a surprise when you need one. Plenty of time to plan ahead and order as needed.

That being said, I do watch eBay for things like proper black OEM sprockets for the stash...