1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mad_bohemian's VooDoo '82 xj750 Project-FINALLY COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mad_Bohemian, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Thorlief

Thorlief New Member

Re: UDPATED 04-18-09:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Awesome looking bike! And I'd have to go with buff as well. Looking really good.

2. xjbobber

xjbobber New Member

this is sweet! nice job with the mods. really like the look. love the bars...

3. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Thanks guys! :D Bars, grips, controls and switches were all gotten from ebay, for less than some places want for the handlebars alone. 8) That's one benefit of living in Michigan and doing this stuff over the winter...you have plenty of time to be patient and wait for the perfect deal :D
    As far as my buffing procedure, I put it in a thread here

4. Thee_oddball

Thee_oddball Member

isnt there a way to use a regular compressor as a soda blaster?

5. blisteredbrains

blisteredbrains Member

handlebar switches look like harley switches... is that true? Or are they just harley "style" custom switches?
    Would you just use them and cut the molex connectors and wire the proper wires to the wiring harness? Im trying to figure that out myself and was considering doing the same if possible on my project xs750. Anyway, great build going on here, looking forward to future updates!!

6. Plumber

Plumber Member

What is that tripple tree from, mine has integral bar clamps which are a pain in the arse as they really limit what bars you can get away with.

cheers

Attached Files:

7. Plumber

Plumber Member

oh, those bars didn't always look like that, i ditched it last month

8. Mad_Bohemian

Thanks blistered, and yes, the control and switched are 'Harley' that I will wire in to the correct location on the existing xj harness

Plumber, the triple tree is the stock one on my xj. I took the mounting holes where the stock bars are mounted and opened them up bigger and slightly offset toward center to mate up with the new bars.
    You can see it here, I circled the holes...
    [​IMG]

9. Plumber

Plumber Member

cheers, they are nothing like mine, what model xj was it??

10. Thee_oddball

Thee_oddball Member

hey mad do you find that the pullback on those bars is far enough that you could go for long distance rides with out it being a strain on your back?

thnx

S!

11. Mad_Bohemian

Plumber, I have an 82 Maxim 750. In your pic yours looks the same. Remember , the large holes in the red circles were the same size as the holes just below them that are on the same flat surface....That's how much I opened them up.

Oddball, I have never had this bike all together yet...but when I gave it a 'test sit' it felt pretty good....

12. Mad_Bohemian

Re: UDPATED 05-27-09:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Just got my frame back from powder coating!! Looks fantastic!!! Found a local place that sandblasted and coated the frame, swingarm,side kickstand,center stand,and swingarm brace for $175 8O
    I was going to go with a basic black but they said they could do it in what they called "silver veining" for the same price. I had them do the center stand in black because I don't think I'll be putting it back on the bike, so I figured when I sell it the new owner will love that it looks brand new!!

The place is called Custom Powder Coating and they're in Grand Rapids. Most other places I found wanted over $200 (some as high as $245) , and that was for basic black! If you wanted other colors, that was extra. Custom told me that it didn't matter what color you wanted, if they had it in house, it was all the same price!!
    Great guys to work with!! I know who my pc source around Grand Rapids is from now on!!!
    Here's some pics..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

That silver veining looks really really nice.

14. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

Bohemian that looks great....how involved is it to remove the drive shaft from the swingarm? Did you have to replace any bearings? I should probably look at my manual....

15. DianCecht

DianCecht Member

Diggin' it. I'm a bit confused as to the way the bars mount... does the 650 and 750 mount differently, or am I just looking at things totally wrong? Look forward to seeing the progress!

16. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The 1982 XJ750 Maxim bars are sort of in a world of their own (actually, pretty much identical to the XJ1100 bars), with lots of little special parts. Lots of them.

The 1983 XJ750 Maxim went back to using the "conventional" style bars, same as on the 650 Maxim models.

17. Mad_Bohemian

Thanks for the positive comments guys! :D I'm definitely gonna have to think 'outside the box' for a paint scheme on the tins when the time comes....

Dead, I had pulled the motor, so when I removed the swing arm it had the rear tire assembly still intact. it's just 4 nuts that have to be removed and the drive shaft stays with the rear wheel and just slides out of the swingarm casing. The only bearings are where the swingarm bolts to the frame.

Sorry updates have been slow in coming....I've been busy trying to acquire a cnc machine. I finally got a bridgeport series II that just needs a limit switch replaced. Now the next step is figuring how to get a 7'6" 5500lb machine through a 6' 11" garage door 8O .If I can get rid of some stuff around here I think I'll be adding a third 8' rollup door to my garage :D. That should make things easier...Then I have to build a 3phase converter.....it's always somethin'. But I can't complain seeing as how I got the cnc machine for only $500. :D Once I get her up and running the first job is cutting fender struts for this project, then I'll start making forward control mounting plates for the XJs!

p.s. the really nice thing about the silver veining powdercoat...it hides my less than stellar welds REALLY good!! 8)

18. coachholland

coachholland Member

Just wanted to say that this is by far THE most impressive XJ project I've seen by far. I'm always impressed by the ideas that members here have, but for me the projects generally aren't the style as far as looks that I like.

This one makes me want to squeal like a little school girl.

It's not outside the box, but a metallic flake paint job would be gorgeous on this bike.

19. macksimman

macksimman Member

I am giving serious props for the build so far, Mad. And +1 on the metallic flake paint. ;)

20. NHJAKE

NHJAKE New Member

First let me say your doing an awesome job! I'm a newbie here & still in the hunt for a specimin for my 1st XJ chop.

Are going to run stock shocks or something else? How much have you lowered the rear?

Oh I can't wait to see more pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D