1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mad_bohemian's VooDoo '82 xj750 Project-FINALLY COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mad_Bohemian, Oct 25, 2008.

1. krayzeesmoke

krayzeesmoke Member

Re: UDPATED 05-27-09:'82 xj750 Project continues....

1st of all, I must say that it looks good.
    2nd, what gauge cluster are you going with? or are you going to keep it clean with only a single speedo or something.

2. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

I went with 11" shocks which, if I remember right, lowers it by 2" . As far as speedo and tach I haven't really decided yet. A LOT of my time has been taken up lately getting my cnc machine up and running. I'm about 90% there with that. I may just go with the stock speedo this year since my tentative plans for headlight are this...
    [​IMG]

In which case I'd be lookin' to use this for my instrument cluster.

[​IMG]

Since it's a little pricey I may have to wait till next year on that idea though. Hopefully by week's end I'll be machining my fender struts... :wink:

3. Mad_Bohemian

WOOHOO!!! Got the prototype strut finished!!! I used a piece of 2x6 pine and since I can only turn about 3500 rpm's (no high speed head) the cutters left a lot of 'fuzzies' . But at least I can test fit and make the needed changes :) The wood was also about 1 1/2 inches too short , but the tail section is the area I was most concerned with.

The model..
    [​IMG]

The prototype....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't cut the styling groove or the logo in...I'll save that for the real thing. Wow...between learning how to build a rotary phase converter, wiring the machine, learning the CAM software, learning G-code for the machine, figuring out how to get the machine communicating with a laptop...my brain needs a vacation!!! 8O

Now just have to make a few minor adjustments, then on to cutting aluminum!!!

4. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

Re: UDPATED 06-27-09:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Mad....do your models have to be in .cad format? Or are there any other format your machine will use, because is your willing to take on other jobs later on down the road....Ill start modeling... hehehe

5. Mad_Bohemian

Dead I could use a .stp (step) , .igs (iges)or .x_t (solid) file format which most CAD systems can export , so start modeling!!! :D

6. KDOG_007

KDOG_007 New Member

All I can say is WOW!!! That bike is looking awesome! And I don't usually go for custom bikes! Good work!

7. Mad_Bohemian

Time for an update :D
    Finally got done painting the engine. Pulled the head, cleaned her up real good and used some high temp ceramic paints..

[​IMG]

Got most of the covers on. As soon as my metric feeler gauges come I'm gonna check valve clearances, make any adjustments then pop the motor back in. I'll try to get another 'mostly-assembled' pic of the motor tomorrow.....

With the aid of fellow member lowlifexj , I think I got the new controls wired to the xj harness. Once I verify everything works I'll throw up a wiring schematic for those interested.

Finally decided on a front fender!! WOOHOO 8) That came in on Monday. Since the mounting bolts had a 6" spread, I needed to fabricate some front fender brackets. So I modeled some up...

[​IMG]

Took a .250 think 4x7 plate of aluminum, threw it up on the ol' cnc and milled then out , bolted them on to the fender and slid her in....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still working on machining out the rear struts...got one about 65% done...it's frustrating when you have the time to do the work....but not the funds :? I'm running out of things to sell too!! 8O lol Not stressing about it though, I just decided I'd push back the finish date to some time next year... 8) ... how long can you work on a project before it officially becomes a hobby?!?! LOL

8. Mad_Bohemian

Rear fender struts machined...

Finally got both the struts machined !! Woohoo
    Had to rework the backside so they have a nice tight custom fit. Here's the right side all fitted...

[​IMG]

Took the right side strut and finish sanded/buffed/and polished. The left side is is fresh off the machine 8)

[​IMG]

9. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Re: UDPATED:08-24-09:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Jealous? Yes I am. I want a CNC at my disposal.

Looking good man. Keep it up. Can't wait for more updates.

10. schooter

schooter Active Member

excuse me for a minute, ive got to wipe the drrol off my chin and shirt

11. barzu

barzu Member

That painted engine looks really amazing. I think I'll do VHT ceramics on mine as well this winter! Thanks for the pic.

12. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

Brian, Holy fit that thing is sooo sick looking 8O 8O same style I was going for... 8) Love the rear fender with the tail light molded into it... As soon as I get my new tires I'm coming over to really check it out. The rear tire just melted off the other day and wont hold air now :? :wink:
    See ya soon,
    James

P.S. what does GHC stand for??

13. Mad_Bohemian

It's the name I came up with for the madness called customising..

Green Horse Customs

why green and why a horse?? Well...Coopersville's mascot is a bronco (a horse) and their colors are green and white.... soooo... green horse :)

Whenever I mess around with videos they are produced by Blue Chicken Productions...
    [​IMG]

just my twisted sense of humor...

14. That_Guy

That_Guy Member

that engine just look amazing........just amazing

15. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

I thought Coopersville's mascot was the seagull :p :lol:

no just kidding I like the name its unique.

16. Mad_Bohemian

Getting closer!!!

Well, I got the motor in yesterday and finished wiring everything up. I put the exhaust on and slipped on the HD mufflers I got last fall just to see how it will look. I'm not totally sold on the mufflers yet. I'm thinking of trying something simple like the chrome turndowns Strat did on his 85....what do you guys think??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was able to get the motor to turn over jumping the start solenoid w/a screwdriver and they seems to have a really nice sound to them....so it's a toss up right now...

On to the wiring. Here's where it's at right now.
    The gauges power up fine. The horn works (all important :roll: ) , the LH signal works,the RH doesn't, the brake light works, not sure about the headlight since my old one doesn't work, but I get nothing with the start button...here we go again.... :evil:
    However....... I found this laying in my pile-o-parts...
    [​IMG]
    About 6 1/2 inches long, I'm sure it's a ground strap but I don't remember where it goes. Right now I have the neg- from the battery grounded to the motor...which as I type this I'm thinking.."That's not right you dope!!" So where should this ground strap go, and where should the neg from the battery go. I took tons of pics before the teardown, but as Murphy's law has it...none showed the wires in question... DOH!
    If the bike is grounded wrong, would I get the results I'm getting??(some things work, some things don't)

17. schooter

schooter Active Member

Re: UDPATED:08-29-09:'82 xj750 Project continues....

ya, turn downs may look better, those things, idk. I gota say though, that seat looks like it was made for your bike, i like it

18. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

That's a frame ground, goes from the TCI bridge plate to a tab on the frame near the chain lock storage box........

19. joshua

joshua Member

Absolutely love that custom rear fender. no more flying mist in the back. got a template for it? or did u hand make it? Chacal nailed the loccation for u. looks like you can polish the chrome off a bumper hitch. mighty nice!!

20. strat

strat Member

harley mufflers don't look bad by any means but I think the turn downs would look a bit nicer.

i'm a bit biased though. :)