1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mad_bohemian's VooDoo '82 xj750 Project-FINALLY COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mad_Bohemian, Oct 25, 2008.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Re: UDPATED:08-29-09:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Those "Points" that the Front and Rear Fenders come too seem to visually oppose the rest of the Bike which doesn't have a pointed look going-on.

Having points that low on the Front Fender can be dangerous. A piece of debris picked-up by the point could be bad news.

The rear Fender's straight line looks out of place. That flat line under the seat needs a contour.

Do you see what I mean?

2. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Something more like this Rick?

[​IMG]

3. Mad_Bohemian

OK...So I'm spending some spring-break time in the garage tinkering on Maxine and I'm not really sold on the direction I was going with the exhaust (see previous pics in thread) . First I thought about just taking the the pipes 2 per side, straight out the back side by side, bumping them up to 1 3/4 dia....kinda like a shotgun look. Well I spent quite a bit of time yesterday running around town trying to:
    A) Find adapters that would fit to go from 1.5 od to 1 3/4 id.... OR
    B) Looking for a muffler shop that could flare pipe for me...

Nothing...
    So after spending the better part of the day putting about 75 miles on the car yesterday, today I thought I would run up to the repair shop in lil' ol' Coopersville 5 min away. Talked to pipe-bender and told him what I was looking for and he says yeah... I can make a flared adapter to fit your pipe...then he starts telling me how he made a custom exhaust for his buddies quad... :idea: "Let me get back to you on the parts" I told him...

So now the wheels are turning..came home and photochopped some exhaust onto the bike....(this was the only side view pic I had with no stock exhaust in it...) So I am thinking later this spring to take the bike into town and have my new friend :D bend me some pipe. Plan at this point is to have the inner pipe swing out and under the outer so the pipes would be vertically stacked at the ends...

Feed back guys... yea or nay ?? or what about just straight thru shotguns side by side??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

I like the second Photo

5. Mad_Bohemian

wow...it took 100 views to get a response!! lol...geesh..maybe you guys aren't as opinionated as I thought..... NAAAAW!!! :D
    Thanks Tcoop :D

Well here's something else I got done today. Finally finished altering the mounting brackets for the fairing I picked up from evilbay. It has a windshield but it's way too big right now. I'm going to cut it down so it more like a sport bike type windshield....The headlight is just sitting in there. I'm sure I'll have to fab some new mounting brackets for that as well. You can see the 'shotgun' straight pipes I was thinking about in the last pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like it? Love it? Hate it?...or as one of my Profs would say " Questions, comments, criticisms, critiques??"

6. pathebert

pathebert Member

Re: UDPATED:03/25/10:'82 xj750 Project continues....

I love the look your going for and agree with tcoop the angle cut on the pipes look better.

7. prideroc

prideroc Member

nice work man. I like the direction your headed as well. As far as the pipe set up I like the second pic. Is there any wa to include the sharp trailing edges of your fenders into the look of that fairing your installing??

8. skillet

skillet Active Member

IMHO this makes 3 for the angled cut...

skillet
    BTW unless I've missed something, how would the kickstand work if you chose the shotgun style

9. Mad_Bohemian

8O

um...that's one of those aroundtoit design problems....you know... I'll figure that out when I get around to it... :lol: lol
    Good point though. I would probably have to alter the kickstand. I'm liking the slashcut look the more I look at it too :)

I don't know, but it's a good idea. I'll have to take a look and see what I can come up with...

10. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

I like the faring but I think your right about cutting it down some. Maybe cut it to complement the fenders some how.

11. SlightlyOffAxis

SlightlyOffAxis Member

Is this too much or about right...

Attached Files:

12. butchietee

butchietee Member

Your bike looks great. I say go with your gut and try not to over think what you like. Great Job!

13. Plumber

Plumber Member

unless I've missed something, the kickstand is on the other side of the bike and would work as it always did ;0)

14. Mad_Bohemian

Well the dual straight pipes would be on both side of the bike, but I'm pretty sure I could tuck them close enough to the bike to miss the ks. I have been looking at this and am considering a sort of combination of both versions. My outside pipe will be a straight through shot, and the inner pipe will have two 45 deg bends with a short straight so it can come out above the outside pipe. It will look like the photoshopped pic with the outside pipe on the bottom and the inner coming out on top.
    This will also help reduce the cost of getting pipe custom bent :D (they don't call me stingy for nuttin'!!)

15. Mad_Bohemian

Re: UDPATED:06/14/10:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Well it's been a while since I have been able to spend any worthwhile time out on the project bike. got two weeks before summer classes begin so I decided to spend some quality time with my other girl (don't tell the wife :D ) Decide to get the get the 'exhaust from he11' finished. yikes! I had no idea the can-o-worms I opened with that idea.
    I went with the vertical stacked pipes with the change of having the outside pipe just a straight pipe with the inner pipe coming out and above. That meant having two just pipes bent instead of all four. So I went up to the local car repair shop and the guy there bent two of the pipes with a 45 deg elbow, a 2" straight section then another 45deg elbow, and two 3' sections of straight 1 3/4 dia. pipe. Then he made me 4 adapters that flare from 1 1/2" (that fit perfect on the ends of the header pipes) to 1 3/4". Everything out the door for $60. One of the first things I found out when I started fitting things together was that the header pipes were angled wrong for what I wanted to do. The ends of the headers were at a downward angle instead of being parallel with the ground. Then I noticed that instead of being like a flat letter 'C', they were skewed and pointing inward to boot. Well...to make a long story short I decided to do the job right.I went and picked up a tubing bender at Harbor Freight and got 8' of 1 1/2 exhaust pipe. I measured the header downtubes being about 20 deg from vertical which meant I needed a 110 deg angle from the header downtube to parallel with the ground. Cut my self a 2' piece of pipe and started bending

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tubing bender was pretty cheap... I got two and 1/2 pipes done and it broke (stripped the set screws :roll: ) So I took it back and got another one to finish the job with. It worked great once the pipes were bent. I could tack weld them to check position and angle. I added about and inch of length to the downtubes so the exhaust wouldn't be right against the bottom of the motor. I was surprised to find that the header pipes are double walled pipes1 ( That explains why it was such a cluster *#ck trying to heat and bend them! 8O )
    So I got the downtubes welded and cleaned up then took them back to my favorite car shop dude and he flared the ends so the fit nicely into the 1 3/4" dia exhaust ..and he did it for free!! Very nice guy!!!

So everything is fitted and all I have to do it weld the tailpipes onto the headers and make the slash cuts on the ends of the pipes and add some hangers that bolt up to the frame. I think I'm really gonna like the way these turned out!

[​IMG]

Ended up hacking off the mounting brackets for the center stand to make clearance room for the pipes.

[​IMG]

With the center stand gone I had plaenty of room for the pipes :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found a guy locally who can do a high temp (1200 deg) black powder coat on them for around $350....jury is still out on that though.. Tomorrow...start working on the forward controls... :D

16. schooter

schooter Active Member

very nice, are you leaving those two pipes staggered or cut them the same length?

17. Mad_Bohemian

No scooter. not gonna leave them staggerd... I went with this look..

[​IMG]

Here's a short video of how they sound here.

Apparently I have picked up a leak on my intake somewhere...got that stupid squeaking bird sound again...UGH!!
    anyways...

I have hangers welded on for the outside pipes but I am having a heck of a time figuring out where to hang the inners from. at this point the best solution seems to be welding a nut on the inner side of each pipe and then taking a small piece of flat stock and screwing it to each pipe. That way the outer pipe would support both pipes. The only issue I have with that idea is that you would be able to see the vertical brace between the pipes...What do you guys think?

18. Mad_Bohemian

Progress has slowed to a painful crawl....but at least it's still in a forward direction! :D

Got the exhaust all finished. 60 deg slash cuts

[​IMG]

I have a hangar from the outside cylinder pipe that mounts to one of the stock footpeg assembly bolt locations (red arrow). The for the inner cylinder pipes I have a brace that goes from the upper (inner) pipe to the lower pipe for support(green arrow). Now the entire exhaust is rock solid!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Re: UDPATED:07/03/10:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Ok, I'm LOVING those pipes. So, how is the bike running after installing them? Did you rejet? Are you popping and cracking all the way down the road? I'm looking at possibly doing the same thing to mine. Any chance you want to duplicate your work if I send you my header? :D

20. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Re: UDPATED:07/03/10:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Do you have a rubber isolator between your pipe mount and the frame? If not it'll transfer the vibration straight up to your back side. And with a steel tractor seat it's noticable......