1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mad_bohemian's VooDoo '82 xj750 Project-FINALLY COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mad_Bohemian, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Re: UDPATED:07/03/10:'82 xj750 Project continues....

Thanks Koolaid! 8) I don't have the bike road worthy yet ( no front brakes or forward controls ) but I haven't had any popping with running it around the garage though.... Didn't do any rejet but I still have to fine tweak the carbs. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to fab any duplicates of this since I returned the second pipe bender as well (apparently it's a quality issue with harbor frieght's chinese supplier...who'da thunk!! ;) ) sorry. :cry:

No isolater at this point Iwin, but if that does start to be an issue it should be an easy quick fix. Good thing to keep in mind. Thanks for the idea :D

2. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

That's cool man. I didn't actually expect you to do it for me. I was just dreaming. I think I'm going to take a stab at it myself. I was originally going to leave the H-pipe in, but now I'm thinking I'm going to chop the header before the H-pipe and then making my own Y pipes, a then a straight piece on either side leading back to the screamin eagle slip ons. It's fine if I have to rejet after that. I actually already have the jet kit and everything.

3. venlis

venlis Member

excellent work mad

4. Treads

Treads Member

Those pipes look amazing. Mine should be heading to the exhaust shop in the next few weeks. Your pics gave me some ideas of what to do. Thanks a mill.

5. mestnii

mestnii Member

Woah, I must have missed this thread when it first started. REALLY CLEAN WORK!! Even though I hate huge fenders, I really love what you are doing with the bike. Quality craftsmanship always shines through.

I'm thinking of doing some Y collectors for my headers, but I'm not too sure of how clean that would look as I don't want to weld them to the actual headers.... hmmm... ideas ideas.

6. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Hey mestnii - I want to do the same thing. We should brainstorm and come up with something. I saw someone on here that cut off the headers a bit and then took like 3" pipe, one on each side, jammed it over two of the header pipes, hammered on it a bit to get it to form to it and then welded it on and wrapped the pipes, so it didn't look bad. Another guy found some Y pipes, but I don't know where.

7. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

you can find the two-1 merges alot of places.

Example: http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/co ... ctors-117/

You can easily make one with a length of tube and a welder. Figure you're length and width fond the angle and cut each pipe half that angle. Then weld them up.

8. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

thanks man...

9. damonk

damonk New Member

Great looking bike - this is giving me lots of ideas.

10. Mad_Bohemian

Thanks for all the positive replies guys.
    I'm really frustrated with not being able to get this finished this past summer, but I am determined that I WILL get it done for riding by summer of 2011...even if I have to paint it with rattle cans (no offense anyone..) and tape forward controls on with duct tape! 8O At least I was able to scrounge up enough $ to get the cnc com board fixed (at least I hope it is enough!)
    Again thanks for all the kudos! and I will post any new progress as soon as it happens!! :D

11. frankenbiker

frankenbiker Member

Awesome build man love the way its heading can't wait to see the finished product.

12. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

this is exactly what i wanted to do to my second maxim project. lol. gotta finish the first one though. you take another pic with the rear fender on it? I want to do "small apes" but i was worried the fenders might be "too big" for the bike. what did the fairing come off of? do you know? great job though. i want more updates

13. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

oh and to answer the kickstand question... figure out what mod your actually going to use, and then maybe weld a tab to existing to come out by pipes so you can grab it with your heel or something... that way you dont have to start over from scratch with it.

14. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

The kick stand can be heated and bent to fit the proper angle or cut to be shortened. I refabbed mine so the bike would lean over at the right angle after lowering it and it works perfect.

15. Mad_Bohemian

this project is still moving forward...slowly... Have been trying to get the cnc working but there are endless problems there...so I finally took the plates for the forward controls out to my fathers and used his old manual knee mill to rough out the general shape, then I bolted them together and ground the profile in with my bench grinder. :D

Here they are mounted up with the pegs and levers I had laying around for what seems liek forever!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

slight snafu... I'll have to get levers with more of an 'L' shape so I can bring them up higher.. :(

Got the mount for the headlight and fairing finished so I can check that off the list. I really can't tell you much about the fairing. Found it on ebay a while back, it was just listed as a Yamaha fairing.... no marking or manf info on it either...

so now I am down to rebuilding front calipers, and getting the brakes finished, license bracket paint and a few wiring odds and ends.....gettin' closer...

Coty likes this.
  16. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Re: UDPATED:05/31/11:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :D

Looks good!
    I tried using 1/4" flat steel for the peg mount too, but it seemed to bend to easily on the brake side when I applied the brakes. That's when I decided to go with a cross brace to stiffen things up a bit, and it make a world of difference.

17. Mad_Bohemian

Re: UDPATED:05/31/11:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :D

UPDATE time..
    So I took the forwrd controls and swapped them from side to side and they worked great like that with the controls I have! So the forward controls are done and painted and the brake calipers have been painted and bled ...so I'm getting real close to FINALLY getting this beast done. Next on the agenda is paint....

I had thought about a snake skin look so I did this yesterday.. I took an old helmet I had laying around to do a quick proof-of-concept paint job to see if my idea for a snake-skin look was do-able. This is just the paint with no clearcoat on it yet and there are some areas that ran a little but I'm not too worried about that, I was trying out a new detail gun and knew I was going too fast and not taking my time, I just wanted to see if using a mesh and with directional spraying would get the effect I was going for. I think the diamonds will be eliminated or at least the color will change to more of a maybe a rootbeer brown, this was just what I had laying around paint wise, but I do like the blue/silver/black... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's no Sure paint job...that's for sure :roflmao: but I might just try to put this paint scheme on the this bike...I'll try to post some updated pics as well later today..
    comments, critiques, criticism....??

18. geissingerj

geissingerj Member

Re: '82 xj750 Project begins....

First off, awesome job on the bike so far. I'm super excited to see how it turns out, especially because I have an 82 XJ1100 that I'm thinking of doing the same thing to. I wasn't sure if it would be worth it to me to do a custom build, but after seeing where you're going with this, I'm 110% in.

Do you happen to remember what model seat this started life out as? I like the look and have found a few that are similar, but wasn't sure.

This one looked semi close, but it's not the same.

Can't wait to see the "completed" bike!! (I put that in quotations because when is a project really ever complete?) :lol:

19. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Re: UDPATED:06/26/2011:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :

Like the forward controls. Do they still move on you? Like the paint scheme on the helmet.

20. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Re: UDPATED:06/26/2011:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :D

I like the paint. I saw once at a show a guy who had used lace to mask off a deep cherry color the lace pattern was maybe two shades off the over coat and they were both metallic. looked real nice in the sun. I think this will give the same results. Maybe black with a rootbeer candy.