1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mad_bohemian's VooDoo '82 xj750 Project-FINALLY COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mad_Bohemian, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Re: '82 xj750 Project begins....

thanks G! :D Actually I think that is the exact same model seat that I am using...only thgat one is currently a WHOLE lot cheaper than what I had to pay for mine... 8O But I'm pretty sure it's the same model...or very dang close! :D

2. Mad_Bohemian

Re: UDPATED:06/26/2011:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :D

UPDATE 7-3-2011
    Had my pipes ceramic coated for way cheap and they were supposed to be done a week agao from last Friday..well I got an email at 8:30 (yup..on Sunday) letting me know they finished my pipes and they were on the way to drop them off!! Seems they had some equipment issues during the week which accounted for the delayed delivery. The pipes look FANTASTIC!If you guys are looking for an alternative to chrome / paint / or wrap for your exhaust, give the guys at Kalamazoo Coatings a call. They took my pipes (see previous post) and did all the surface cleaning and prep work on all 4 pipes...I am VERY pleased with the results !! :thumbup1: Kind of a satin chrome look so I will be taking the rear fender struts and side cover trims and sand them to get a brushed look. I got the forward controls all painted with linkages finished. Got the calipers painted and bled... so it looks like I am down to fabbing a license plate bracket then paint / buff assemble and wire...got an issue with the throttle I have to work out yet, but she's getting close now!!
    for the paint I talked to a custom painter who shared some tricks of the trade with me to pull off the snake skin look, but take it from cool to killer!! Hopefully will get time to do a test panel tomorrow and I post some pics..

Here's how she's lookin'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. geissingerj

geissingerj Member

Re: UDPATED:06/26/2011:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :D

Looks amazing man. did you build those forward controls as well? All the kits I've been looking at are $300 to $500, but it doesn't seem like they'd be that hard to build. am I right? Or is there more to it than what I'm thinking.

4. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Re: UDPATED:07/03/2011:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :

I'm really impressed, I love the molded in tail light. Didn't see from the rear , is it one tail light or two and do they also function as signals? Where did you get those pipes or did you mod the existing pipes? Never thought that a full fairing looked good on these bikes but now I'm having second thoughts. Also liking the fender struts. :wink:

5. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Re: UDPATED:07/03/2011:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :D

wow looking great. I'm gonna have to re-read up on this thread!

How "cheap" was the ceramic coating job? I'd be willing to drive to kzoo if price is right!

6. Mad_Bohemian

Tail light info is on page two. It is a running/brake light with amber signals on the far right and left sides. For the exhaust, I fabbed pipes that I bent onto stock pipes that were cut into headers (page 7 I believe) :D

I cost just over two and a half Franklins....not bad for 4 pipes over 40" long each. :D

7. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

I'm love the look. Yours and mine are somewhat similar with the big fenders.

So check you fender for control clearance when turned and compressed. I've dinged mine a couple times on the controls with the forks compressed.

Could have had something to do with the old saggy springs that were on it but take a look anyway.

8. Mad_Bohemian

So here's how I spent my day today... Spent the day practicing my second go at painting snake skin with some tips from a custom painting pro.... [​IMG]
    I redid the helmet and also did an old computer case I had laying around...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the 'scales..

[​IMG]

This is just the first two coats of clear. I still have to wet sand and put the final coat on.

Not sure which shading I like better, the hard edge shadowing on the helmet, or the softer shadow edge on the computer case. The case also has more intense mottling with the copper pearl. i did it on the helmet as well but not as heavy. You can just make it out on the left hand side of the helmet 'skin'

[​IMG]

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it..[​IMG] lol ... now if I can just duplicate it on the bike I'll be all set! :D

9. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

nice man, very cool!

10. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

HEY LOOK!! It's a Harley.... no it's an XJ... wait....

*hides*

;)

11. geissingerj

geissingerj Member

Any updates? I've been dying to see the finished product.

12. Mad_Bohemian

Finally got my paint supplies this tuesday... Hoping to get started on painting tomorrow. Trying to figure out the best way to get some shaded tribal graphics on the sides of the tank...I THINK I got it figured out... lol :D

13. geissingerj

geissingerj Member

Done yet? I want to see it!! lol.

14. Mad_Bohemian

YES!! well... kinda... just have to wet sand, give the final coats of clear, wet sand again and the buff!! But I am definitely on the downhill side of this project!!! Got my aftermarket speedo and tach. I think I got all the wiring figgurd out including the idot lights which I will be wiring up to some 3mm LEDs!! Was going to shade the tribal effects...but after 1 1/2 hours of fricken around with the frisket stencil I made trying to get them off the backing paper and apply them I sed "SCREW IT! they're gunna be on color!!" lolol
    Here's some pics..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. geissingerj

geissingerj Member

Re: UDPATED:07/03/2011:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :

VERY nice!! You do great work. I can't wait to see her all back in one piece. I'm excited for you!

16. aceswild9

aceswild9 New Member

Re: UDPATED:07/18/2011:'82 xj750 Project is still going... :D

Hey, great build! I have been following for a while now and really like the look of the four single long run pipes. I saw on page 7 where koolaid5 asked about re-jetting the carbs and at that time you had said that they were fine with the stock carbs. I was wondering if this is still the case or if you had idle issues at all. I want to get some pipes fabricated and if I need to re-jet I would like to place an order a head of time. Can't wait to see it all together and great job!

17. geissingerj

geissingerj Member

Alright, you've had all week. lets see the final product!! :lol:

18. pygmy_goat

pygmy_goat Member

I'm wondering what "way cheap" means for the ceramic coating. I love the megaphone mufflers on my xj700 and I'm trying to figure out how to keep them, but they're kinda banged up. I was thinking sportster mufflers, but maybe coating/re-chroming is an option?

19. Mad_Bohemian

Put clear coats 3 and 4 on tonight....just gotta colorsand one more time, let 'em gas out a little and then put the final coat of clear on... then assemble!! :D

I got all 4 pipes done for 250. that's less that $63 per pipe! :D

As far as rechroming or ceramic coating goes, that process will show every flaw in the item so it won't hide any imperfections..it'll make 'em nice and shiny..but you'll still see any dents or dings .. :(

20. geissingerj

geissingerj Member

Re: UDPATED:06/14/10:'82 xj750 Project continues....

These are just straight pipes, correct? I like the look, but I think I'll need some kind of muffler on my 1100. Have you ridden it at highway speeds yet?