1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Me and my New XJ750 Maxim and I mean NEW!!!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by happydog500, Jul 27, 2012.

1. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Yes it is. Mine works most of the time but on occasion it's fools me and stays flashing.

2. happydog500

happydog500 Member

Bikebandit is unbelievable!!! I called up to order my tires Monday, at 1:30pm. The person on the phone tried to up-sale me, so I hung up to think about it. I called back at 2:00pm and ordered the tires.
    I woke up this morning to take my dog for a walk and the UPS guy was walking to the door with a tire in hand. I got my tire delivered to my door in less then 24 hours!!! I got the lowest price shipping.

I got one tire. He said the other one maybe coming out of another warehouse.

This leads me to a question. My official Yamaha Service Manual says the front axle nut torque is 8.0ft-lb. it lists the rear one at 80ft-lbs.
    8.0ft-lbs sounds pretty lose.

How come the axle torque is so lose on the front axle nut?

Chris.

3. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I'm a little late to the tire discussion, but I run 712s on my Seca, 1100 miles and no complaints, even in pouring down rain.

4. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Misprint.

5. happydog500

happydog500 Member

The front 712 seems nice. I went around a corner about 5mph and it slipped. Kind of scary.

Chris.

6. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

Brand new tires need to be "Scrubed in". Go to a parking lot and do figure 8's, starting off with light turns and progresively getting deeper (leaning more) that will ruff them up some so they grip better. New tires are slippery you need to be carefull the first 100 miles or so.

7. happydog500

happydog500 Member

This is good advice, thank you very much.

8. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

I get lazy, lol :?

9. happydog500

happydog500 Member

I can see they made this bike go very nice at 55. I understand, since we had the 55mph limit then. On a bike with a sprocket, you can change the gear ratio with the change of sprockets.
    Can you do this with the shaft gears?
    Sure wish this had a 6th gear or the 5th was higher.

Chris.

10. happydog500

happydog500 Member

Just figured out the turn signal cancel. Sometimes I would go around a corner and it would cancel. Other times I would go around and drive down the road with it still on. I then would have to manually cancel. I was thinking it was not consistent.

People tend to put the turn signals on to late. Your supposed to use them 100 to 300 ft from the turn. If you do that, they cancel just after the turn. It's when you don't turn them on soon enough, it seems like there not canceling.
    Knowing this, I now see mine cancel every time.

I changed the fluid in the front brake. We cleaned out everything and flushed it.

We also changed the oil and filter. We put the new oil in and it seems it's darker then the old oil. I guessed that Motorcycle oil might be darker then motor oil but my friend didn't think so.
    Any reason the new oil seems darker then the old?

Thank you,
    Chris.

11. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

The old oil was from up north? ;-)

No really if your saying that the old oil coming out was lighter than the new oil going in...well then something was way wrong with your old oil or your new oil wasn't new. Fresh oil is translucent, amber, and very viscous (you can't create friction when it's present); whereas old oil will be opaque, black, and closer to water when it comes to viscosity. This is normal and what you will find 99.99% of the time.

The 'tangible' differences you will see between automobile and motorcycle oil are non-existent. The differences that exist are chemical not visual. Modern car/truck oils contain friction modifiers and these are not compatible with wet clutches, and for the most part were never intended to be used in air-cooled motors-since they don't exist in the modern automobile world.

Please don't think I'm talking down to you or preaching, but there are some great books out there about motor tech and all that goes with DIY maintenance. I have been working on all kinds of motors and mechanical things for the few decades I have been old enough to do that sort of thing, got off to a rocky start when I was 4 but that's another story, and believe it or not-Every time I pick up a manual or guide or book on this subject I learn something new (and every time I'm on XJBikes).

This one, Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, is really good:
    http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Art-Motorcycl ... m_sbs_b_22

You already have the most important qualities: a willingness to learn and ask questions.

12. happydog500

happydog500 Member

I guess to clarify,
    The old oil was "opaque, black, and closer to water" out of the bike. The new oil was new looking, it was lighter then the old.
    Looking at the old oil in the window, then looking at the new oil, in the bike, it looks darker then the old stuff.
    Maybe since I was expecting lightER oil, it seems darker.
    Chris.

13. happydog500

happydog500 Member

OMG!!
    I finally got the rear tire.
    I would like to apologize and say thank you to bigfitz52.

When I got the bike, we looked at the rear tire and saw some checking but otherwise it was not to bad. When we took the tire off, we realized it had bubbles all over the tire! Separations everywhere! Big bumps.
    The tire was cracked and bubbled all over the place. This thing was getting ready to explode!!
    When I rode the new tire, I could not believe it, it rode so nice.

We looked at the brakes and saw they where coming off. Since it was just the edges, *we put it back and called it good. :)

One thing about the tires. Today, I was very stressed that I got the Shinko's. We tried to balance it, but ran out of weights. We had to take it in and it ended up with 5 1/2 oz of weights. I asked the shop guy why it needs so much weight and he told me the tires are junk. I responded that they had good reviews on the site. He snapped back with, "Bull Shit, I wouldn't put these tires on my kids tricycle."
    I got a bike finally, started running out of money and got tires that where not expensive, but had good reviews. They had more, and better reviews than all the other better name brand tires. I tried to do the best I could with what I had and after I get them, I now have junk tires.

I will try and start a new thread but wanted to coment since these are the answers to stuff here.

Chris.

*Just kidding. The breaks looked real good. Not coming off at all. After cleaning them, they work great!!

14. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

I like it!

15. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Shinkos are mostly fine I know a number of people running them with no issue. The 712s I put on my 750 used the same exact weight (little different position) as the Dunlops that came off it. And the guy that mounted them said he has had good luck with them except one tire that wouldn't balance that got replaced free by whoever they ordered through.

16. happydog500

happydog500 Member

I saw a 83 pamphlet from Yamaha with this seat, but I didn't want to argue. I went to the Yamaha Shop today and the guy said Yamaha had three seats that year. This is the stock seat, although it might not be the one that's on your bike.

Just to mention, I looked at what he was looking at and I saw with my own eyes the different seats in the Yamaha Program on his screen.

Chris.

17. MarkV

MarkV Member

Nice bike. But I agree with bigfitx52. If you keep riding it as is, youre just looking for trouble.

18. happydog500

happydog500 Member

Bike is in excellent condition. Only thing I need is a better windshield.

Chris.

19. redsix

redsix Member

I'm late to this thread, but gawd! It's so shiny!! It's gorgeous! And it's nice to see you've got maintenance and upkeep in hand. :)
    I have Dunlop D404s on mine and I have no complaints at all. I bought mine at rockmountainatv.com, and was very pleased with the service.

20. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

umm.... still has the original front brake lines doesn't it?