1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Michigan Xj people...... who is up for a cruise?

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by dfknoll, Jan 5, 2010.

1. schooter

schooter Active Member

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You go through the Secretary of State.

There is no test but they do require additional documents like your birth certificate, SS card, etc.

It costs $45 (in Michigan) and takes about 3 weeks.

It is used as a "Passport Lite" in that it will allow land and water travel to and from Canada or Mexico (only.)

Next step is a "Nexus Card." It allows land water AND AIR travel to and from Canada or Mexico. More like a Passport, but still North America only.

Or get a full blown passport.

The bottom line is you can't cross from Michigan to Canada or back with just a smile and a wave anymore.

3. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    i dont know how i missed the other posts on Port Dover but i did somehow...

im getting REALLY geeked up. with the weather all crappy ive been pretty much in a hibernation mode but im really interested in this ride. i might have a couple of other non-xj riders going with me/us but theyre all cool...

4. schooter

schooter Active Member

me too, I mite take some friends.... the ones I'd take ride a ninja 500, and GASP, a SPORTSTER

but I know this is kinda supposed to have an "xj" mentality, I'll only ask them if the number of riders is low

5. dfknoll

dfknoll Member

Its ok to invite firends without xj's guys. First and foremost it would be just awesome to have a huge froup of people. I invited my buddies and their rides are a sportster, 2 GSX-R 100's, and a 1980 something Kawasaki 1100. Like i said, lets get as many people as we can. I dont want us to look like stuck up harley jerks by not letting non-xjers ride with us.

6. seaguy

seaguy Member

I thought half of Michigan was down here in Orange beach. You guys missed the boat!

7. Stamplicker

Stamplicker Member

This is the only PD13 for this year. Plus it's the 50th consecutive PD13 Ride. IT's going to be massssssive!!! Guestimation of 40k - 50k bikes will be roaring through. The last summer ride had around 30k riders. the streets were filled with bodies and constant stream of bikes, it's something you have to experience and don't want to miss =). Look forward to seeing/meeting up with the some XJriders this time around.

Keep'n an eye on this thread =)

8. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

I can't imagine the freakin' hassle trying to get a herd of yahoo XJ riders into Canada. The last time I crossed into Canada was at Niagra Falls. We were in our 36' motorhome. I was 42 years old at the time as was my wife. Our 2 kids, 10 and 12 years old were in the bedroom watching movies. Nice clean cut family group. I was calm and polite and answered every question truthfully. The a$$hole border guide dude wasted nearly 45 minutes trying to get me to leave my guns(of which I had none with me - Duh!!!) at the border so I could pick the up when I crossed back into the States. He advised, cajoled, got nasty and even threatened to toss the contents of the motorhome unless I turned my guns over to them. It got to the point where I nearly told him he could stuff his freakin maple leaf country and I'd just stay in the U.S. and spend my all green money at home.

Now, think of trying to get 10 or 20 or 30 long haired US motorcycle gang members (XJ riders) across the border!!!! If I was there I would probably shoot my mouth off after about 5 hours and would be filing posts to this forum from my Canadian prison cell!

BTW, this was way before 9/11.

Nope! Not for me! I think the Caribbean would be a nice cruise destination. Especially this time of year.

9. bigfitz52

I was planning on crossing at Marine City-Sombra Ont. There is a largely overlooked ferry boat there, and the most casual crossing I've ever experienced. Groups of bikes have never been a problem, even as recently as two years ago.

Besides, I haven't had shoulder length hair since 1977. And what's left now is grey.

10. parts

parts Member

+1 Wamaxim!
    I was pulled over yesterday because I turned into the right
    hand lane after a left turn. Didn't mind the warning but
    there was THREE of them! THREE!
    Bastered need to know where I was going-where I'd been,
    how long I lived at my house....all none of his damn business
    at leasted as far as our constitution reads!
    I don't think I'll give the canadians a reason to do the same.
    BTW. I was all for going north untill yesterday.

11. FABFABINC

FABFABINC Member

Look guys we can go on forever about customs and I could say the same stories about me crossing into the USA.......

12. Galamb

Galamb Member

It's not that bad to cross. When the border guards are bored, they just ask all kinds of questions. Once when I went at night and nobody else in the line up, he wanted to know my whole life story. But as soon as there was another car behind me, he told me to go.

Anyway, there is going to be a big Motorcycle show this weekend in Toronto.

here is their web page.

http://www.supershowevents.com/super/index.html

Might see some of you guys there. It's on Friday,Saturday and Sunday.

I'm going Saturday afternoon.

13. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

i never even thought about taking the ferry across...

ive done that a few times in my life (wifey 1 was from Marine City (China Township actually) her family owned the Cheese House on Marine City Hwy)...

if i recall though, isnt the river road from Sombra to Sarnia about the SHISTIEST roadway in the world? i never liked it years ago but maybe theyve repaved since 94...

and then you have the reservation you have to be careful about running through. better hope who ever is leading the pack has an accurate speedo...

still, that would be a cool route to take...

14. Stamplicker

Stamplicker Member

Niagra Falls crossing has Always ALWAYS been a SOB to cross. No matter which way your going. Crossing at Port Huron has been Great past couple years. Got stuck a few times crossing in to states, but routine check up.. no biggie. Ferry crossing sounds great.. haven't done that in years!... At the past PD13's I've heard of guys crossing in packs with no issues. Basically they know your coming for one thing.. PD13 and head back home.

15. FABFABINC

FABFABINC Member

Well I will leave Montreal Quebec on the Thursday evening get some riding and sleep over night when I reach the halfway mark. I will be meeting you guys in Port Dover. Its a +- 700km ride. Its a done deal

Fab

16. bigfitz52

They did repave it.

But who goes back up to Sarnia? That would be completely unnecessary if we're backroading it East by SE to Port Dover.

I've been over many many many times on the Norton; used to take the coast route-- Port Stanley, Port Burwell, Port Rowan, Turkey Point and then Port Dover. What a route, on the way to the CVMG Rally at Welland.
    Started taking the ferry back then, when they were still building Bluewater #2. Got spoiled by NEVER having to wait (except for maybe the next ferry, a whole 12 minutes max) and have been crossing there ever since.
    In June '02 when I went over on the ferry, there was me on my Norton and one guy, on foot, with a handcart stacked with Labatt's from the duty-free shop. That was at about 8:00 on a Friday morning. Me and some guy on a beer run -er- walk. We had a nice conversation about the spring weather.

My brand new NOS 150mph unit is dead nuts on at 60mph verified by GPS.

17. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

we it wouldnt be a straight shot across to london and down huh...

mapquest doesnt route it that way but whatever...

18. bigfitz52

F* Mapquest and Google Maps (Google doesn't even "see" all the Port towns.) That stretch of coast (you drop down from St. Thomas through Aylmer and down to the coast) is absolutely charming. The cliffs along the lake average 40-50 feet, and each little Port town is nestled in its inlet; some with still surviving perch fishing fleets.

The road is a narrow, often unmarked two-lane blacktop that snakes along the edge of the coast and doubles back on itself; runs out and has to be re-joined; and is the complete polar opposite of an hour on the expressway.

You really feel like you're in a different land, a step back in time.

I am probably going to get reservations at a little B&B in Port Stanley for Friday night so I can relax and use up the weekend wandering back.

19. NursePadawan

NursePadawan Member

I'm in, sounds like a great ride!

20. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

i was thinking SOMETHING along the same lines. by the time we go the water route, it will be a looooonnggggg day over, there and back...