1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Milwaukee/Wisconsin area XJ's

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by IkeO, Oct 14, 2007.

1. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

Did you get a new key cut for it yet? If not, I can recommend a guy that can have it done in a couple of hours. It's a bit of a drive, and you may be able to find someone closer, but hey charged me $25 for a new set of keys for my 550.

Let me know, and welcome!

-c

2. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

I don't think that was me you are referring to. I just picked up the bike last night (although it doesn't have an ignition switch or lock for the gas cap for now).

3. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

I thought the CL ad said there was no key for it? No ignition switch at all?

4. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

Yeah, there's not ignition switch (installed a toggle switch) or lock on the gas cap (straight screwdriver). I've got some work to do, but they are a little further down my list.

5. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

ahh... Well, good luck!

I'm in the neighborhood (kinda), so if you need my vast knowledge and experience, I am available. My experience includes:

- Putting gas in the tank
    - Re-inflating tires
    - Reading the forums

As you can see, my input would be invaluable!

Seriously, though, it looks like you have your work cut out for you. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

-c

6. bk94caddy

bk94caddy Member

Im in Plymouth, about 45 minutes north of Milwaukee on hwy 57, and 10 minutes west of Sheboygan on hwy 23.

7. IkeO

IkeO Member

well funny thing happened over the winter. I got hired at The Shop in here in milwaukee. So now i fix classic bikes as a job. helps when i need to fix my own bike too.

my xj750 woke up beautifully im proud to report.

tis the season people. we should group up and go on a ride sometime.

8. IkeO

IkeO Member

oh man you live right next to my favorite spot. you ever ride out in kettle moraine north? the scenic drive. i got a video of me on that road.

9. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

Lucky!

Congrats, man!

10. peewee

peewee Member

I'd be down for that! My baby has been running great this year...

11. bk94caddy

bk94caddy Member

Hey, does anybody here have carb sync tools? Preferably vacuum gagues, and/or colortune? PM me if you do, and you are willing to help a fellow biker out.

Thanks,
    Brian

12. cilynx

cilynx New Member

Riverwest here.

I've got access to a Carbtune that did wonders on my Maxim-X. I've got a Colortune on order, but not in hand yet.

13. flash1259

flash1259 Member

You are not alone guys wisconsin as well, wisconsin rapids to be exact. about as center of the state you can get.

I recently got my bike (xs400j 1982) Running had it for about 8 months , got it in a trade ,. it didn't run at all no spark. 300 dollars later and i have 20 miles on it just tweeking it.gotta get tags ( Hobby Motorcycle) next week

pretty much know this beast inside and out now thanks to the manuals and the guys here who spread thier knowledge of fixes and tips, Thank you!

once this thing is where it should be i will repaint it the factory (Burgandy) and sell it for a bigger newer one , kinda like the warrior

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/pro ... 0/360.aspx

14. IkeO

IkeO Member

no kidding man? Riverwest here too. i live right near fuel cafe. very cool.

15. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

I'm hoping to get my bike running tonight (assuming my wife lets me out of the house) so we'll need to try and put a Milwaukee area XJ ride together some time this summer. There should be enough of us.

16. TMHack

TMHack Member

Green Bay checking in. A little farther north than most of you but don't mind putting a few miles on to do a ride. Was already up to Superior and back this year. The 550's running pretty good for not having been tuned in a while. Need to finish my other project before I wrench with the bike any more(87 VW GTI 2.0 16v). At least she is running and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Take er easy(and if she's easy take er twice),
    Kurt

17. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

Alright all, I'm up and running now. I will be replacing my gas tank, ignition, and forks tonight (not in that order) and then doing some paint work to make all the colors match. I should be ready, willing, and able to do a ride early next month or so if you're all interested.

18. olinrj

olinrj Member

Recently back to the board. West side of Milwaukee checking in. I am also interested in a get-together in the near future. probably wont have the bike up an running yet, as a few projects at home have kicked up, but plan to do some work in the garage by Memorial Day, if I can get power reconnected to my garage. If there will be a mini carb clinic, sign me up. If there is anything I can provide or supply I'll make it work.

19. olinrj

olinrj Member

Power has been restored!!
    Spent the weekend trenching in the new conduit and fired up the lights Monday. I now have a clean, lit garage that I can hide out in. Going to work on the work platform this weekend while the fiance is out at her batchelorette party (no distractions for me). Then it is on to the fork seals, putting the bits back together, then I am going to properly clean and adjust the carbs. Got a bit of practice on my dad's lawn mower, so my ear is back in line with the sweet noise of a well tuned engine. I'll get some pics up of progress on the garage and bike.

Take it light

20. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

Awesome! Let's get some get-together together!

What weekends work for June?
    Who's interested in getting together?
    Where should we get together?