1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For Sale Motivated to sell XJ700N, make an offer!

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by pygmy_goat_, Sep 21, 2021.

1. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Hi guys and gals,

Some of you have probably seen me trying to sell this bike in the past. I guess my price was too high. Make an offer! I just bought a boat and need to get this thing gone. Would like to do that before winter. Would really love to sell to someone on the forum who knows what they're getting/looking at.

Yes, you're inheriting my project, and I know that. There are many good parts and a bunch of work already done to the bike, although it isn't much to look at. Much project work also still remaining.

See here, plus pasted below:
    https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/exeter-yamaha-xj700-xj-700-xj700-maxim/7379206716.html

click on the CL ad to see the photos.

ad says $750 but the price is negotiable.
    #######
    Ladies and Gents,

PRICE DROP. Bring cash today and let's make a deal.

Yes it runs! Yes it is available! Come by and see it running and make an offer.

Sadly the time has come for me to part with my XJ700. I have had this bike for about 14 years, it was my first real bike, and I've had some grand adventures on it. However, I simply have too many projects and with a couple kids, I'm never realistically going to finish it in the next few years.

This bike is a ton of fun. I have used it for various things, playing around, commuting, and I even took a cross-country trip on it. It has the insane speed of an inline-4 but also enough power to cruise on the highway easily. The bike is in generally good shape but rough around the edges aesthetically, which makes it a great platform for modifications. People like to make bobbers and cafe racers out of these. It's a nice, clean slate as far as bikes go. I have done a lot of the big mechanical items on the bike, which all take time and money, but don't add to the appearance.

I have done the following:
    POR-ed the inside of the gas tank (and no, 14 year later, I have never seen a sign of any of the material ever coming off).
    Replaced the fork seals with the fancy red ones.
    New fork bushings too.
    Polished upper stanchions in the seal area.
    Replaced rear drive unit with a new (used) one due to PO's omission of the critical spacer.
    Replaced rear drum brake shoes.
    Replaced front brake lines with braided stainless.
    Checked all electric circuits on the bike, cleaned them, checked under load for low resistance (voltage drop), and packed them with dielectric grease.
    Removed, disassembled, cleaned, and re-lubed starter motor with the correct moly grease.
    Checked alternator brushes.
    Repaired heat damage to wiring harness at diode leads.
    Repaired low fuel sensor.

More recently---these were done in the past year and so they literally have 0 miles on them:
    Checked and re-shimmed valves
    Complete rebuild of carbs using chacal's kits (starter circuit, throttle shaft air seals, float needles, bowl gaskets, yadda yadda).
    Fixed leaky front tire bead by polishing the whole internal rim surface (tires installed by pros at local BMW dealer)
    Rebuilt petcock with chacal kit (original with vacuum actuation).
    Rebuilt ignition lock cylinder
    Disassembled, cleaned, polished and dielectric greased left and ride side hand switches (signals, start button, etc.)
    Checked and fixed all the ignition wires and caps
    Set float levels on the bench following the book procedure

That's all I can think of. It's not much to look at but I have tried to take care of the major items. I'm sad to see it go, but honestly I can't figure out how to spend any time with it. I like my kids too much.

Other things that come with it:
    Extra coils
    Extra engine side covers (aluminum crank end covers for the ignition sensor and the oil pump side)
    Busted up speedo that might have some good bits (bezel, glass, whatever)
    Random turn signals and stuff
    I think I have one unobtainium plastic side cover
    New front brake pads
    Probably a few other things I can't think of

Actual mileage unknown. I have ridden maybe 6,000 miles on it (including from Albuquerque to Boston...that was something). It had really good compression last time I measured it. Pulls hard.

I'm open to discussion on the price. I have got more in it at this point than the asking price. Many of the important mechanical issues have been sorted. Beware of low-priced older bikes... you'll have to replace a lot of stuff that I have already replaced on this Maxim!