1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

my 1981 xj650 true hardtail project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by vanimal, Nov 9, 2010.

1. vanimal

vanimal Member

thanks!
    as for the shifting, i always had gp style shifting on my sport bikes so i'm kinda used to it.

2. vanimal

vanimal Member

yea, thanks for the heads up on the site man, lots of good info over here.
    As for revolutionary, i dont know, i'm sure it's been done before :D

3. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

i see i see.. i only wish i had the tools to create like you do... i just tore apart my bike and i'm planning on doing a hardtail but mine's the 400 so it's got a different frame.. a little challenging.. but i'm hoping on creating something amazing even though i have no fabricating experience... just time and patients... if you've got any pointers for me my build is artie's 82 xj bobber project...

i'll be following your build and hopefully picking some things up here and there from what you've done... keep up the good work.. can't wait to see the final product!..even though the building is the reward, being complete is a bonus haha..

4. vanimal

vanimal Member

yea, i checked out your build, it's coming along nice!
    might want to consider buying a hardtail kit, they're only about 100 on ebay and it will make life alot easier.
    As for fabricating experience, it's not needed as long as you're willing to deal with the trial and error. ive seen some total noobs build some nice stuff!

Got a little work done today. I machined up a pivot/lever do-hicky for the rear brake. There wasnt a straight shot to the drum from the forward controls, so i needed something. It also converts the forward control from "push" to "pull", which is what the drum brake needed. The lever itself is aluminum, and i made a 2 piece bushing out of 4140 alloy steel then powdercoated them. I anodized the aluminum lever red, and i also anodized the aluminum parts of the forward controls, then i remachined the surface to give them a different look. They look better in person, the flash made them look weird.
    I still gotta make up some fancier rods to replace the all-thread, but that can wait. They function as is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Nice work. Definitely NOT a cookie-cutter bike going on here. Looks good.

6. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I think you have been a bit modest about your skillZz. This bikes going to look really good I think..

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

nice, what kind of mill and software are you using?
    i never got the hang of anodize so i just go with gun kote, you seem to have it down

8. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Looks real nice, I know what you mean about the threaded rod, it gives a little doesn't it. I'm replacing mine with 3/8 inch square rod with milled ends and threaded.

9. vanimal

vanimal Member

thanks guys!
    i'm trying to not go cookie cutter, but it's all been done, so that's hard to do.
    As for my mill, i have a shizuoka an-s cnc mill with a homemade controller using EMC2 software, along with a manual mill. The software i use is solidworks and mastercam.
    Anodizing can be tricky, took me a while to get it down. Still not perfect, but usually acceptable.

as for the threaded rod, yea, it bends a little, but not too bad. I just used it for mock-up purposes so i can get them where i want them, then i'll make a solid rod to replace the all-thread.

as for the bike looking real good when it's done, i can only hope. I can machine stuff ok, but i'm not exactly a style guru. I may need some help from you guys for fender and tank ideas.

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Here's a place where you can get Stainless Rod.

http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/ss-rod.htm

Getting the Die Started on Stainless is tricky sometimes.
    Grind a light chamfer on the end of the rod.
    Having a New Die don't hurt; either. Lots of oil.

11. vanimal

vanimal Member

thanks for the link! probably wont use a die though, i'll just single point it on the lathe.

12. vanimal

vanimal Member

one of the triple trees i'm working on. There's a little more offset in it so the trail will be correct. Looks kinda weird in the pics i guess... i might work on it some more. I thought maybe putting some spikes in the front in the center of each silver square would look a little better.
    open to ideas.
    It's the standard 3.5" spread for bars/risers so i'll have more of a selection of bars if i dont end up making some. for now i'll probably make some risers for my 7/8" drag bars.
    underside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    top/front
    [​IMG]

13. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

dude you gotta make me some.. pleaaaaaaaaaaase..

14. vanimal

vanimal Member

haha wish i could, but they'd be pretty expensive due to everything involved in design/machining/anodizing

15. vanimal

vanimal Member

so i finished the trees and got them mounted. Not too sure about the squares in front, might machine it smooth. I'm not going to do anything with it at least untill i finish the headlight housing, but i'm pretty sure i'll be changing it. It went together pretty smoothly. much better than the stockers, those things are never too good.

First pic is the stem after modding. drilled and reamed for 4 .1875" dowels and pressed them in and put a dab of weld on each one. It isnt going anywhere. It's also a nice press fit into the lower tree.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

nice man!.. i agree with the front squares... would look nice smooth.. but very slick indeed.... you've got some talent for sure... i think your bike is gonna be unique and one of a kind for sure!.. keep it up..

17. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Good stuff. I think the trees look a little beefy but as stated will look better smoothed out. Maybe punch them through the tops to allow lowering in the front if so desired. Great work all around.

18. vanimal

vanimal Member

thanks guys, i'll probably smooth the front out eventually. They do look a little beefy with no bars or headlight, but i think it'll look better when the bike is fully assembled.
    As for punching the holes through the top tree for the fork, i designed it that way intentionally so that's staying. I know i wont be lowering the forks any as i have the rake, ride height, and trail dialed in where i want them.

19. vanimal

vanimal Member

well, i removed the squares. i think it looks better now, and i think it'll look way better once some bars and the headlight are installed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. skillet

skillet Active Member

Damn sure lookin' GOOD!!!

skillet