1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

my 1981 xj650 true hardtail project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by vanimal, Nov 9, 2010.

1. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Any pics yet of how you dealt with the triple backbone?

2. jason702v

jason702v Member

any updates?

3. GFunk

GFunk Member

subscribed

I really like that seat and am drolling all over those triples. If you consider reproducing those I would certainly be interested in a set

4. zeek

zeek New Member

i'm with gfunk... i would be interested in a set of them as ell as the forward controls.

hows the progress?

5. vanimal

vanimal Member

Sorry guys, business got crazy and i had to concentrate on getting that worked out. I've finally been able to work on the bike again a little. I got the frame welded, and the rear spoked wheel on. I also have the muffler mostly done, i just need to mount some exhaust springs and a bracket to support it in the rear. Everything fits pretty well, no pipes hitting the frame, and i got about as much ground clearance as possible. Once it's all welded up, i'll be powdercoating it with high temp black.
    I got it started, but needs major tuning as expected since it has pods and a fairly free flowing exhaust. It will barely rev at all, so it's hard to get an idea of the loudness, but it does seem to have a lower tone to it. There are a couple chambers and some baffles inside, hopefully it's enough to help. The wire hardness was made from scratch aside from using the stock connectors. I kept most of the electronics and the hand controls. There will be signal lights and whatnot.
    Some pics of the muffler:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. vanimal

vanimal Member

no pics yet, but i'll take some eventually if i remember. I still have to gusset everything, so it's basically just a chromoly single 1.3125" diameter tube welded to a little bridge connected to the stock frame near the seat/tank region. Nothing fancy.

7. vanimal

vanimal Member

anyone have an idea where i should start with jetting? I know it's been covered to death, but curious about opinions with this particular exhaust. I read +4 for pods and +4 for a pretty free flowing exhaust system. So is that +8, or just +4? I know i'll have to experiment, but i was looking for an idea of where i should start.

8. vanimal

vanimal Member

exhaust clip. remember there's no springs holding the exhaust to the down tubes yet, so there is a very slight exhaust leak so you can hear it sounding harsh when i put the phone down to rev it higher. The tuning is WAY off, it can barely rev past 4k i'm assuming, if that. I need to clean the carbs and rejet them badly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YgfSnBwhIA

9. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Omg, I want your exhaust!!! I love the look of it. I also think I have seen you on Bobberforum.

10. grunt007

grunt007 Member

Hey man, I really like that exhaust collector box. Great idea to say the least. I was thinking about something along that direction but then I would have to also turn my XJ750 Seca into a Bobber also. The temptation is still there but I am doing my best to refrain from it. I have got to see your bike when it is finished. I have a feeling that it is going to really be quite a great bike to say the least. Best of Luck! grunt007, 81' XJ750 SecaR, Mi.

11. ouchie

ouchie Member

Awesome build ya got going there vanimal!

Can you expound a little on the rear wheel?

Is that a Virago wheel or something you created?

Thanks!

12. vanimal

vanimal Member

Thanks guys!
    As for the rear wheel, it is from a Virago. The wheel needs to be modified a little to use the xj650 gearbox, but i think a virago gearbox might bolt up to the swingarm/driveshaft. The brake from the virago must be used, it's much bigger. The axle is also smaller on the virago.

13. XJBobbin82

XJBobbin82 New Member

wow such an amazing build, i cant wait to see the end result, what an accomplishment.. good luck man

14. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Member

I like the exhaust. You may want to put a satin finish or some other way to add grip on that seat to keep you from sliding off. Although you will see if it is necessary once you ride it.

15. Hellbilly1932

Hellbilly1932 New Member

Love this build! New member here will do a intro soon. Just got the admin to fix my account tonight so I could finally comment. I am helping a friend build a XJ650 right now (im a CB750 guy) here in San Diego and I would love to see this thing in person.