1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My '82 XJ750 "Project Shadow Warrior"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by skylrk62, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

always awesome to see progress, looking good man!!!

2. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

KILLER job so far man! Can't wait to see progress....

3. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I just got in my R6 front fender and I like the way it looks! My bike is a bag of skittles right now with all the colors, but Black/Gold will be the theme w/ carbon fiber accents. I just cleaned up my carbs too. I should get my Eastwood mig 175 welder & plasma cutter in next week. I'll be fabin' up the frame for the tail and rearsets finally!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. lytew8

lytew8 New Member

Great stuff! Loving the build.

Really convinced me on the front end conversion. Wish it was a little cheaper :eek:

Will those brakes just rip the chassis apart. R6 twin brakes are powerful - does it have any impact on an old frame like this? Stress wise?

5. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

lol bag of skittles :D

haha lovin it.

6. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

For the life of me, I can't find a velocity stack that will fit the xj750 carb! The od is 50mm on the inlet. I really like the look of the Trumpets. I hear that they are a pain to tune, but I'm looking at this from an aesthetic point of view. Can anyone give me a link or a reference to where I can find ones that will fit and look good? I appreciate all your inputs! Thanks!

7. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I don't know if my blog is boring or people don't participate? I'd love more input on here. But anyway... I did some digging and found that the FZ600 OIL COOLER ADAPTOR HOUSING should mate up to the engine. I just bought one on ebay for $12. I also found out that a FZR600R spin on filter plate adapter will mate to the oil cooler plate. I found the tread fzronline.com also spin-on @ xjbikes.com

I'll be getting it in the mail soon, hopefully.

8. pingu

pingu New Member

Some here...... :wink:

9. pearlteeth

pearlteeth Member

I've been following this thread for a while now. Definitely not boring! I'm just not anywhere close to being able to offer advice - this is some cool shit that I don't know anything about.

Please continue! I'm enjoying the progress. Nice build so far! (but that recent fender addition is throwing me off a bit ...)

10. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

CHECKED OUT THE SITE, THANKS! I'M STILL DEBATING TO USE PODS OR VELOCITY STACKS? I HAVE THE PODS ALREADY, SO I MIGHT JUST GO WITH THEM FOR NOW.

I WENT WITH THE FENDER BECAUSE IT PROTECTS THE ENGINE & BIKE. ALSO, I THINK IT FLOWS WELL WITH THE BIKE. IT'S HARD TO SEE WITH ALL THE MISMATCH COLORS AND THE ENGINE OUT, BUT THAT'S SOON TO CHANGE! THANKS FOR THE INTEREST!! I THINK IT WILL BE SOMETHING SPECIAL WHEN DONE. CLEAN LOOK BUT VERY DETAILED, HOPEFULLY.

11. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Did you end up mounting the XS750 tank w/o any mods or did you move the tank mounts?

12. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Well, here is a small update. I moved the tank mounts back and lower. I kind of messed up removing the mounts & cut two holes in the tank. I tried to fill them in with my mig welder & ended up melting right through. Beginners misfortune. I'm not too worried. I'm going to fix that tonight. I also got my new headlight from Italy! I also got a Koso RX-2n speedometer gauge. You can also see I got a 86' fz600 oil cooler on there. I mocked up a fake slip-on under the tail. I'm waiting for my DS70 Oval 9 inch (225mm) Carbon Fiber slip-on and some rearsets from fastfromthepast.com. I fabbed up a handlebar stop for the r6 forks too. This is just a mock-up for the moment. I still have a long way to go, but it's starting to look cool though!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. kudoskun

kudoskun Member

How do you plan on running the oval exhaust under the seat?

Do you have a creative way to run the pipe between the rear swingarm and tire without crushing it when riding over road hazards?

14. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

15. NigeW

NigeW Member

Interesting - that bike's coming along nicely. I like the style you've gone for there, particularly with that tank - never really thought that the standard maxim/seca tanks look right with the cafe treatment.

16. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Ok, the bug has officially bitten me. I'm currently looking for a solid XJ900 Seca donor bike. I'm going to use the engine/ ingnition & rear diff. My goal is to increase the capacity to 1000cc and jet the carbs or swap the carbs for something with more flow. Any suggestions on which? I looked into a more radical cam as well. I read there is a digital ignition with adjustable timing for inline four out there? My goal is to be old school fast. I have located a few bikes out there, but it's a hike to get them. This is going to happen. I wonder what a tricked out 900 engine w/ cam, big bore, & timing would make? Any guesses out there? Really would like your opinions guys please!
    [​IMG]

17. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I apreciate all the responses, Not! It seems like I'm alone on the blog, but I digress. I found a 1983 xj900 w/30,000 est for 800. I'm going to offer $500-600ish. Sound like a good deal? It is a ways away, so I'll have to have it shipped here for $300-400. My budget is $1000 or less, so this should work. It has a lot of hail damage, but I'm interested in the motor, drive-train, rear wheel, etc.. & sell the rest.

18. Clownman

Clownman Member

So im new here and all I have to say is I am in love with this build! I recently got my 650 back from my dad (first bike I learned to ride on) and fixed it up to be able to ride on the weekends. I have read your blog a few times from beginning to end and by no means is it boring! I love the idea of the 1000 in this frame and with the modifications you have so far I think its a good fit. One question though, what are you going to do about the mismatched wheels?

I am seriously considering sending my spare lower triple tree mount and a sourced R-6 triple to the same company you did. I love that look. Please keep this blog going, I am inspired by your work thus far!

-Chris

19. mook1al

mook1al Member

I have been watching your build, but haven't reallly found anything I wanted to comment about that would add any value. This forum seems more geared toward the restoration enthusiasts than custom builders. That may be why you are not getting much feedback. I for one can say, you are definitely thinking outside the box. When you are done with it, there won't be a whole heck of a lot of XJ left. But, for just a couple of comments...

I too am curious how you intend to get the exhaust under the seat as another poster mentioned. As short as the frame is, there isn't much space unless you are going to a 4-2-1 and the 1 being a really tiny pipe with crazy bents around the swingarm. Even then, won't the exhaust pipe cook the battery?

The front suspension mods are just down right cool. I do not like the cafe style of bike, but if there is an area that the XJ needs improvement, then suspension is it. The inverted fork should help a whole lot, and I like the gold anodizing look of it.

The front fairing seems just a bit too small for the front end. I like the shape, especially the light. It would be nice if it was a just a little taller to come up over the speedo a couple of inches. Something similar to say the smoked shield for the Yamaha Roadstar Warrior.

Just my personal taste, but the seat pan has good lines, but the current tank you have modded just doesn't seem to flow. The tank is just really flat, and (not sure what to call it) the back part of the pan has a nice angle flowing off the rear of the bike. If you are just stuck on that tank, then might see what it looks like raised about an inch in the front. My choice would be the light blue Kawasaki tank pictured on page 2 of your build. I think those lines would be better with what you have going on here.

Not really got much input either way for the 900 plant. that is just a case of why not...

Great build, and the purpose of a build is that it is YOU building it. That's what makes it yours and special.

20. saab900

saab900 New Member

Yeah you are no longer alone! I am workin on a Maxim 400 and I love the look of the sport bike front end and the old school bike frame! Can't wait to see more!