1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My '82 XJ750 "Project Shadow Warrior"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by skylrk62, Jan 27, 2012.

1. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

You are doing a lot of custom work that either hasn't been done or hasn't been done much. combine that with the fact that most people that are modding use the XJ platform for bobbers or similar rather than cafes and there aren't many people that are going to have much experience with the mods you are doing.

2. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Thanks Friend, Comments like this make this blog worth it! I decided that I'm going with a mono shock design. I'll be using my current swingarm and will be transplanting the mono-shock bracket from a '83 XV750. I'll weld the bracket in the same orientation and use the final drive from the XV750 as well. I'll also try to mount a Seca 900 wheel w/ disc brake and a 130/70-18 tire. Stay tuned, parts are in the mail.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

4. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I appreciate your input. I want to hear all the good and the negative about what I'm doing. By being constructively negetive, a different perspective can be reconsidered. As for the exhaust, I'll be mounting it on the right rear high. I felt the same way about the speedometer, so I bought the Motogadget Motoscope Pro instead. It was kinda of pricey, but it's so cool & compact. Thanks & keep watching for updates!

5. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I JUST RECEIVED THE XV750 PARTS FOR THE MONO SHOCK DESIGN! I EYE'D THEM UP AND THEY LOOK GOOD. I'LL BE DOING SOME FABING TONIGHT. STAND BY FOR UPDATES!

6. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

JUST GOT THE SWINGARM FABRICATED AND TACKED IN. IT LOOKS LIKE A PERFECT FIT. I DID HAVE TO HEAT THE FRONT TWO PIPES AND WIDEN THEM APART A LITTLE TO EVENLY SEAT. OTHER THAN THAT, PRETTY EASY. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS HASN'T BEEN DONE BEFORE? ONE NOTE, I'LL HAVE TO SWAP THE DRIVE SHAFTS. THE XV750 IS ABOUT .5" - 1" LONGER. MORE TO COME!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Konoc

Konoc Member

Wicked lil project you got goin on here man!!

8. TheRev

TheRev New Member

Hello

I just read through your build. Awesome! I am doing a xs750 build and I would love to know where you got your seat. I have been looking all over for a seat with that shape. I can't seem to find one. Could you please let me know where you got it? Thanks

TheRev

9. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Thanks for the compliments! I went to Spirt of the seventies website and found this tail. It's not for sale, but I talked them into selling me one. They'll probably do they same for you, just email them with what you want. Good luck on your build!

10. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I did some work on the mono-shock rear this weekend. I fabricated a new tail section that looks a little cleaner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Konoc

Konoc Member

Nice fab work bro!

12. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I did some mod to the driveshaft angle over the weekend. I cut a section out of the swingarm to allow for greater angle on the shaft. I found that the ujoint binds at 18 degrees of angle. The current setup is at 12 degrees of angle. Is this too much? It seem to roll fine, but it may be a whole different story under power?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. tsorel

tsorel New Member

I just created an account because of this topic. I had some longer shocks on my '82 Seca which put the arm at a greater angle. The only problem I noticed is that the U-joint would rub on the housing with the bike on the center stand. No problems otherwise. I did inspect the U-joint at one point and it still looked and felt great (approx 30k miles). I think if you give it too much angle you will increase the "jacking" affect of the swing arm. Basically the wheel will want to tuck up under the bike during acceleration, lifting the rear end. It all really depends on how much static squat you have (preload) and how much the bike wants to squat under acceleration (spring rate). You can always adjust the shock later if it's giving you problems. Keep up the awesome work.

-todd

14. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Thanks Todd! I talked to a few locals guys and they also said the same about the jacking on the drive shaft. There sure a lot of limits with these shafts, but that's the challenge! I want this thing to handle really well, so I'll lower it back down in the rear to level the shaft out. Adjust the seat & tank for the 4"-5"wheel suspension travel.

Update: I just received the 150/70-17 tire. It's going to interesting fitting! Also, I purchased a complete XJ900 engine, Microsquirt EFI, GSXR 600 throttle body, 420a coil, & wideband O2. They should be in next week, so stay tuned! I'm shooting for 110-120 crank Hp when done.

15. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I recieved some goodies in the mail last week. I'm still waiting on the '95 Diversion wheel from Germany. It was mailed Sep. 11th & it's still in German customs, what's the deal?? This has been the big hold up in my project. I need it to get the geometry right on my mono-shock setup. I now have a XJ900 engine!! Thanks to a great guy in the Missouri area on this site, I was able to locate one. I have most of the EFI parts now. I only need the fuel pump and 3" trigger wheel( which I just purchased min ago). I want a '99 Hayabusa inline fuel pump, but they are going for around $300 on ebay. I hear there is a walbro that is comparable to it, need to research more. Hopefully that 4" rim comes in sometime soon? I'll take pics of me fitting it in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-s ... 4988_n.jpg
    [​IMG]

16. fintip

fintip Member

Man, I don't stay much on this part of the forums, but when I do, I always stop by this thread. Great work. I personally wonder if this wasn't the best frame to start with--you started with an XJ750, but now even the engine has been discarded! It looks like all that will remain will be the frame and title!

But as far as you've been going... Have you considered actually altering the frame itself into something like a perimeter frame, like the FJ1100/1200 featured? You could probably find some frame in a junkyard and take parts off and add them in.

I have to say that either the tank or the or light should go... Either the light is too aggressive, or--since you seem to really like it--the tank is too old school. I think when you got the tank you hadn't clearly visualized what you wanted, and were thinking more of an old-school cafe racer design. I don't think it's going that way anymore, though, so you should consider a different tank and save this one for another project.

I have to say, for being a beginner, I'm SUPER impressed with the work you've done. Keep it up, keep updating us. I just can't wait for the tuning to begin.

17. tsorel

tsorel New Member

That will be nice power upgrade. Interesting direction on the wheel, I wasn't aware of the 900 Diversion. I have previously pondered the idea of mounting a GS500 (Suzuki) rear wheel on my 650 Seca. If and when I do a front 17" wheel conversion (I already have 300mm Brembo brakes on there now) I would want the rear wheel to match. It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to make an adapter that allows you to bolt up the Yamaha drive splines on the Suzuki sprocket carrier. I'd go with the GS500 wheel since it's 3.50" wide (fits) and I have a set in the garage. The front tire is a 110 width and the rear is a 130. They're the typical 3-spoke wheels that all sport bikes had in the '90s but in more Seca appropriate widths and more nimble handling.

Keep going!

-todd

18. tsorel

tsorel New Member

I think it looks great as a neo-retro cafe, kind of in the vein of the Ducati Classics and the new Norton 961.

-todd

19. TheRev

TheRev New Member

Are you going to wire it up using the MotoGadget M-Unit. I have been looking at that for my xs750 build. I wonder if it really does simplify the wiring? I am looking forward to see how you do it. Thanks

20. tsorel

tsorel New Member

I went and offered up the GS500 rear wheel to my Seca 650. I did find that there is no way to fit anything larger than a 130 tire in there. The spacing between the drive housing and the right side swing arm is 5-1/2". The 130 tire (on a 3.5" rim) just barely squeezes through if you let the air out. I also had to loosen up the rear drive housing screws to move it out of the way a little. The GS wheel does fit in there, there is good room for the tire once it's in there, the axle is the same diameter as well. One big problem, there is 1-1/8" more offset on the GS wheel than on the Seca wheel on the drive side so no dice being able to adapt the splines to the GS wheel. The wheel is hollow inside so I can't just machine the center out.

You show you purchased a 150 tire for your build. will that fit past the drive housing on the Maxim?

I did find that the mufflers off my Ducati Monster bolt right on...

-todd