1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My '82 XJ750 "Project Shadow Warrior"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by skylrk62, Jan 27, 2012.

1. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Thank you for the advice! I checked out the app that you mentioned and double checked the math. I came up with having the gt2052 "48 trim" as well. I think this is what I'm going with. I checked out bell intercoolers website and found they have 2.25" thick intercoolers that will be safe to install where the oil cooler is now. A 7.5"L x 5"H x 2.5"w has 329 cfm. This is plenty of flow for what I'm building and can be completely custom made.
    Earl's performance makes a 2" thick oil cooler that I'll mount underneath the bike. The collector currently under the bike, which is 4" in the front of clears the ground well. I should be ok, in therory.

oil cooler Example:

[​IMG]

2. hoopsuk

hoopsuk Member

Good show.
    No doubt that thing looks unique. But to my eye, it comes back to my comment about it being an aesthetic challenge to fit an IC.
    I think, thus far, your build is a very attractive bike and hanging a large IC and/or OC out front could upset the looks a bit. Especially when one considers the additional pipework to re route back to the intake.
    An engineering challenge to maintain aesthetics.
    It might be that going beefy, steel and industrial makes it look like a real beast, difficult to judge until seen.
    Best of luck

3. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Thanks for the complements! I agree that a huge intercooler mounted upfront would be blocky and ugly. The one I'm looking to build would not be much larger than the current oil cooler mounted. I'm going to do some mock ups this weekend to see how it might fit. Having the oil cooler under the bike will be a way to make it less compact. I can also have a larger oil cooler mounted underneth, because of the larger area. I would have to fab a ram air effect to grab the air flow.

example:

[​IMG]

4. farmer

farmer Member

I would consider a gt20 series vnt turbo for your 900. here it is compared to the gt1749v, which I am using. THis is the stock turbo from a jetta tdi diesel. (mine). You may also find my turbo works well on the 900, but it could start to become a little bit on the small side. Run the numbers on it. About the HP gain, I am not sure but at 9~11 psi that I am am running the bike is getting pretty quick, 11 psi it cannot hold the clutch back with EBC HD springs and EBC friction discs. I want to say its almost double the HP, what is stock 65 engine hp for the 650? I would like to get it up to 18~20 psi once I upgrade the clutch system to handle it.

Here is a comparision photo of the turbos.
    http://jsperformance.ca/gallery/albums/ ... .sized.jpg

In first gear, it spools at around 5 grand with the 650 motor. The VNT feature really allows it to spool quick. One problem though I have is that for some reason its gets bogged out right at the onset of spool in 1st gear. I have an AFR gauge, it reads 10.0 which is very rich. I am unable to lean it out, i think megasquirt is the answer so that I can control my mixture at any rpm or load. The other issue is that at cruise i generate between 1-3 psi boost at cruise rpm. However with megasquirt you may be able to electronically control the vane position of the VNT. THe benefits are much greater boost response and less backpressure as well as being able to spool a big compressor that much quicker..

That is a big oil cooler. Guess you could have it on a thermostat though if it allows the oil to get too cool. I am running the stock 650 turbo one in the stock 650 turbo location. I was thinking of going bigger.

5. IMWirtz79

IMWirtz79 New Member

Man I'm loving the bike, and had been doing some research into doing my XJ750 and realized I had been beaten to noticing the virago swing arm would look great (Damn! My originality is always behind the curve)... I'm not so sure about the turbo idea, because of the stress it would put on the head gasket. If you do it I would look into the possibility of twin turbos, and base it off of the '93-'96 RX-7 to help avoid turbo lag. It used a smaller turbo to help spool the large turbo in essence. If it were me, I'd leave it the way it is so I wouldn't blow it up, but I'm only looking at the ability to enjoy the fruits of my labor before they've spoiled... What the hell am I saying?! Frankenstein that bitch!!!!! :twisted:

6. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I finally finished the tank flush fuel cap mod. I also adapted the fuel delivery as well. I welded the petcock location shut and replaced it with "an" male fittings on each side. I also fabbed a retun fitting with a extended internal hard line spraying away from the fuel out port.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. NateK

NateK New Member

What fuel pump are you using? Is it in the tank?

Thanks
    Nate

8. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Hi Nate, it's a '99 Hayabusa external fuel pump with built-in fuel regulator.

9. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I'm actually going to be upgrading to a Waldron inline with a aeromotive fuel regulator for my turbo setup. The hayabusa pump works well with the current setup. It has a low amp draw

Gus likes this.
  10. NateK

NateK New Member

Does not having a sump in the tank cause problems when your fuel is low?

Thanks
    Nate

11. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I don't know, I haven't used it yet? It might be a while. Doing a turbo on the bike.

12. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

It's official!! This is going to be a microsquirt Turbo bike build now! I just purchased today a BorgWarner S1BG Turbo (# 313296). I talked to the engineers at Borgwarner and I couldn't of found better guys to talk to. They know there stuff and really friendly. They really went out of there way to help me. I bought the turbo from Southeast Power Systems. There rep there, Mike Franky, was awesome doing business with. He has a lot of experience with turbo bikes and knew how to get the job done. The turbo was not the easyiest to find, as there are none currently in the usa. They did a lot of communicating and found one at there plant in Kibo, Germany. I will hopefully get it in about 4-5 weeks, maybe sooner.

TURBO BIKE, GAME ON!!!!!

[​IMG]

13. farmer

farmer Member

yeehaw

14. kinen1

kinen1 Member

skylrk62 your XJ is like a fantasy bike!

Let the Turbo begins!

good luck and keep us posted mate!!!! pic and pics and a lot of pics please!!!! :)

kinen1

15. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I received some goodies for the turbo mod!! XJ700 "X" clutch assembly, XJ650 Turbo oil pan & oil pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. farmer

farmer Member

sweeet!

you may also want the turbo oil feed check valve and fitting. I looked on Ebay and there was nothing there currently...

Also, what are you doing about a knock sensor? When i convert to microsquirt i plan to interface the stock 650 turbo knock sensor into it if possible...

17. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

IT HAS ARRIVED!!

I finally got my turbo in from Germany today! I did a mock up with a 2 1/4" intercooler. It looks like it will fit like a glove in there. It's nice and compact. I'm thinking of full exhaust instead of dump pipes. I have enough room to make a nice 90 bend down and shoot out the back. I haven't made up my mind yet on that?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. uhoh

uhoh Member

Great stuff - what an amazing transformation! Please keep us updated!

19. farmer

farmer Member

will the front fender hit the intercooler under full compression?

20. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I finally got all the parts and supplies for the turbo build. I have the bike up on the stand and started the fabrication.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]