1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My other ride

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Moparmaniacca, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Moparmaniacca

Moparmaniacca New Member

Here's my other bike I'm currently working on, a 1985 Honda V65 Sabre. The power this bike has is amazing. I plan on tearing into it over the winter, new wheel bearings, head bearings, brakes, etc... I am removing the heavy fairing from the front and will probably end up with a smaller windshield or a Nighthawk style small fairing.

sabre front.jpg sabre side.jpg sabre teardown.jpg

SpearChucker and jack767 like this.
  2. Andyam5

Andyam5 Member

Nice, I'd keep the fairing though, looks vintage

3. jack767

jack767 Member

They're nice bikes, I had a 1985 v65 Magna, one of the best bikes I've ever owned. (Also had an xj900) If it's a high kilometer engine then you should have a good look at the cams. Probably need a re-grind, there's a guy I've used near Vancouver "Colt Cams" he has the vf1000F profile, they'll look like new.

4. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

Nice bike! Funny you posted that, I was just reading reviews of the bike that scared me off motorcycles for 34 years: the Honda V45 Interceptor. I got the wheel off the ground in 3 gears then decided it was smarter to buy a Celica instead. Probably why I'm around today but I wish I'd got back to bikes a little earlier though. That V65 Sabre was supposed to be wickedly powerful and a nice bike to ride too. I'm with the "keep the fairing" camp. It reminds me of the fairing on my 750RL, fits the period.

5. Moparmaniacca

Moparmaniacca New Member

Some progress on the Sabre, managed to get the front end rebuilt, new bearings, brakes, fork seals, lowered front forks an inch, super-sport bars, GP mirrors, clear headlight, l.e.d spot lights, custom fabbed headlight brackets. Definitely has more of a muscle bike stance to it now. Also managed to get some more work done on the Seca as well. Carbs fully rebuilt and valve lash checked. New plugs (again...). The spark issue I was having was being caused by the old boots. Upgraded to NGK boots and now she fires up instantly, even in the frigid cold we have here atm.... Just need a carb sync and set the idle mixtures screws and she'll be ready to go... in a couple of months when the streets are bare.

Jan 21 2019.jpg

SpearChucker likes this.
  6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Love the old big V4 bikes, the Honda is a great bike, just don't like working on those carbs. Getting them in and out of that bike will teach you restraint or drive you nuts... The power and sound of those bikes are very nice.

7. Moparmaniacca

Moparmaniacca New Member

Yep, the first time I pulled the carbs from a v4, it was pretty daunting. This being my third Sabre, I can pretty much now do it blindfolded in a matter of minutes. The worse part is separating them, trying not to break the fuel tubes.