1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

my winter project 81 650 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by iwingameover, Dec 7, 2009.

1. seaguy

seaguy Member

I painted mine Storm metalic gray and clearcoated it. Been on 6 mo and I'm already tired of it. Flat Black maybe?

2. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

So, it just wasn't the exact color you were looking for or the paint itself was just shit? Let me know, because a few more days working on the bike and I might be thinking about paint myself :D

Check out my thread for updated pics.

3. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

I think the paint was ok. The valve cover came out nice and it's already on so it won't match so well.

What happened was two things. I painted when it was too humid and went a little too quickly between recoats. I think if you let the ground coat dry then add the color coat it comes out ok. The instructions don't say that though.

4. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

did you ever take pics of it like that? If you did and don't want to post them up on here at least PM them to me. I really want to check it out.

5. iwingameover

The valve cover is still the metalcast. I'll get pictures on Sunday when I get to work on it again.

6. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

cool.... If I don't see them by Monday I'll keep bugging you :D

7. iwingameover

I hope to be riding on Monday! Wife's out of town for the weekend. If it weren't for the softball tournenment I'm in tomorrow I'd be fixing it tomorrow and riding sunday!

8. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

sweet... I'm actually online checking out paint colors right now at work. I just need to get the fender sorted out first, so I can move on to paint... well....that and the 500 other things I listed.

9. iwingameover

yeah I may well repaint this winter again. It's time to ride now. My bondo skills are not at an expert level so it's far from perfect.

10. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

eh....bondo is easy. Your skills just dictate how much sanding you're going to have to do

11. iwingameover

Here's an update. Long delay due to life, work, and this horribly hot weather we've had here not making me want to be outside, garage has no AC.

First, here's what the metalcast color was supposed to be:
    [​IMG]

Here's what she looks like now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is to figure out why there's no spark. I've got the trouble shooting guide from this site for my next go around.

I've got no power to the TCI, once I run that down I'll get her running and check the exhaust for leaks. Then wrap it and put the seat on.

It'll be running this week. I'm going to the LVCC with it Saturday.

12. KennyNapalm

KennyNapalm Member

nice color !

13. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

cool deal. It turned out prettygood for some rattle can shite. Gives me hope for mine :D

14. schooter

schooter Active Member

phew, i'm not the only one with bondo disabilities

15. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Ok, I was just checking out the pics again and saw the OBX sticker on the HEEP. Where did you go exactly? We're heading up there on the 14th and staying in a house on the Beach for a week. I don't think I can go on the beach that we're staying at, but wouldn't mind checking out some other places close by. I'm not taking the HEEP, but could use the time to scope out where I DO want to go.

SOMEDAY I'll have to make a trip up to meet you in person. I'll trailer the XJ bike and we can take get all 4 XJ's in a pic. Then we can go wheeling a bit if you have some place close by. After wheeling we can go for a ride. I might be ready for a trip like that by this fall. If not I'll DEFINITELY be ready by next Spring. What do you think?

16. iwingameover

I've been down to the OBX twice. My son's mom's grandparents live down there. That was my first visit.

My second was two years ago. My mom and I went for a vacation. Stayed in a little house in Nag's Head right on the beach on the ocean side.

You can not drive on all the beaches during the summer. You have to go up to the 4wd area. Follow Route 12 (by the beach) North and it ends onto the beach in Coralla. The wild horses up there are something to see. I also saw a H2 buried to the axles in the sand. So air down and take it easy.

I also caught a fishing charter down there http://www.godspeedcharters.com/ He sails out of Hatteras and is a great captain and a great boat. We limited out on the dolphin (mahi mahi) after just a few hours and spent the rest of the day trawling for marlin but only caught a barricuda.

There's no real place close by here to go wheeling. Though there's Peter's Mill in Virginia off I-81 a bit south of Winchester that's about split distance from both of us I think. Could wheel and ride down there for weeks!

Schooter I am usually a bit better at the bondo but it's been so hot here it dries before I can spread it. It'll get fixed over the winter but for now it's time to ride.

I had it running last night. Pipes are wrapped on my back porch and i'm about to head out and finish her up. I need brighter back bulbs and an electronic flasher. Pics tonight of the finished product for now.

17. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Sounds good to me man. I'm down with meeting halfway to wheel and ride. Maybe grab a cheap motel, so we can push the bikes inside and not worry about them being stolen while we are out wheeling? I'll look up where we are going and let you know. I don't think it's that far North though.

18. iwingameover

Bike's done. I got about 30 miles on it today and some final carb adjustments.

I'll get pics as soon as i remember the camera.

19. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I took mine for a spin yesterday with the screamin eagle pipes on. It sounds badass, but I have ALL kinds of popping and cracking, the throttle response is off....bogs if I'm not gentle, and the longer clutch cable I got is still too short, so it engages when I turn left....hahahahaha So, I need to toss in the YICS tool I got, synch the carbs, and then see if I need to rejet. Full update is going to be posted in my thread here in a few min. Not much more than what I just blabbed in here though :D

20. iwingameover

Ran mine for 50 miles yesterday. No power over 6k RPM and a nice lean surge. Plug chop and white. +2 main jets ordered.