1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My XJ650 "Taildragger"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by swguy270, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Engine looks great. Like the seat, is that a Sportster seat? Also like the mufflers.

2. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

yes agreed. this is probably my new favorite bike on the forum. it's not really chopped but its so clean looking, Kinda looks like this is the way it should have come from the factory. Probably would have been a much larger success.

3. Orange-n-Black

+1

4. Natester

Natester New Member

I would just ditch the centerstand...when I built my xs low like that couldn't pull it up onto the stand anymore anyway......bike looks real good though.......there's a ton of crappy looking "bobbers" on here but you managed to keep it all in proportion

5. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Yeah man like to know if thats a quickbob, or a sportbob fender.

6. thorin

thorin Member

did you post the make of your mufflers? i'd like to get rid of my original trumpet style....thanks.

7. Orange-n-Black

Look's like Sportster mufflers to me.

8. BillB

BillB Active Member

What size tank is that?
    If it was from a different bike. What size bike and year?

9. BillB

BillB Active Member

I bet you can get some chrome caps to go over your wheel nuts from a truck stop or something.

10. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Sorry guys. I hit a rogh patch and lost my employment for a few months. I will try to get all of the questions answered. I hate it that I just dropped off the planet like that but that's what happens when you can't pay your internet bill.

11. swguy270

swguy270 Member

The fender is a replacement sport bob fender. It was cut off right at the "flare" to allow mounting on the XJ. The battery box will be protected by cutting the bottom off of the original plastic inner fender and replacing it in its original position. Got the fender off of flea bay, think I paid about $50 for it. I saw some on there that wouldn't have needed cutting.

12. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Yes, the seat is from a sportster. If you look closely in the photos, you can see the "Sportster" logo stitched into the side of the passenger pad. The mufflers and headers are a complete exhaust system from Mac Exhaust. As far as I know this is the only complete system available for the XJ, but with the condition of my original exhaust it was worth the $360 price tag.

13. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Mac Exhaust. Available through Amazon.

14. swguy270

swguy270 Member

As far as I know it is the original 1982 650 Maxim tank. It was on the bike when I got it, and the logo mounts had already been filled.

15. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Great Idea!! Never thought of that. Thanks.

16. swguy270

swguy270 Member

Thanks for all of the kind words guys. Again, I apologize for just dropping off the forum like that, but I should be pretty active again now. Projects for this spring include: Removal of center stand, fabricated sheet metal side covers, new turn signals, new handlebars, Harley Sportster shocks, and a makeover of the instruments and headlight. If anyone knows where to get a good set of T-bars for one of these bikes please let me know. ;-)

17. Orange-n-Black

Tbars will be difficult, especially if you have the molded in bar clamps. Theres a set available with clamps that attach to your old bars, then cutting off the ends of the old bars. Don't know who makes them but several guys on the site have them, maybe someone will chime in that knows.

18. swguy270

swguy270 Member

I know I have seen some sets around. cmccully04 had a set on the bike that he sold, and I have saw another set or two on here. Maybe z-bars would be a better way to go. I have also thought about upside down clubman bars. Want something a little different. Any thoughts?

19. Orange-n-Black

Cmccully04 started out with upside down clubmans, but his MC was at an angle because of how the MC attached to his original bars. The upside down clubmans worked great on my bike as the MC attached level, so it will depend on your MC as to what bars will work. Just remember you need 7/8's diameter unless your going to change out your switchs, throttle & hand controls. Also if you go with taller bars you'll most likely have to change to longer brake, clutch, throttle & fuel enrichment cables.

20. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

I did use upside down clubsman, and then switched to WINDOW bars. That way you can still use the molded in clamps. very simple swap, no big deal easy to do.