1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Yamaha XJ 750 gets to hot

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rickard S, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Rickard S

Rickard S New Member

Hi.

I was out for a first drive after winter. One of the carbs was overflowing fuel and I found out it was the left one. When starting on cold and also after warming up the left exhaust pipe do nothing get warm. Took it for a ride and seemed as always a good acceleration. The exhaust got warmer on the left side. Drove for 1 hour and when I got home I stopped and started again and just took off the ingnition cap on the left cylinder an I could not hear any change in motor sound. After 30sek I saw some oil bubbling up on the left side(had it on the side stand on idle) of the valve cover and emediately stopped the engine. I have rebuilt to cafe racer so I have no engine/oil temp but my question is why this happened. I changed valve cover gasket last year 4000km driven after that. Now I have changed again and this time to an original Yamaha. I have bought service repair kits to my carborators and are just about to take them off. During the winter I renovated the oil cooler and also changed air filter to K&N. What can cause my air cooled engine to get to warm during 1hour ride and some minutes on idle getting home.. Carb problems, oil cooler or air filter to much red oil applied??.. In Sweden it was 12 degrees Celsius at the time so a lot of cool air. Please help so I know what to do to ensure appropriate actions taken and check so I can get everything back to order again - love my ride - see pictures.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

carb 1 on left as you sit on bike is flooding the cylinder and not firing as it should . that is why pipe 1 is cold or cooler

sounds like the needle valve in carb has failed . this would also flood the crank case with fuel and cause the oil to leak

could also be a bad spark plug cap but you have a fuel issue to fix first before trying to fix any thing else

Toomanybikes likes this.
  3. Rickard S

Rickard S New Member

I’m just about to do a full service of all carbs by cleaning all and changing all needles and gaskets at the same time. I have also bought new “rubbers” for the carb connection to each cylinder.

I have spark on the ignition coil for the spark plug so that should be ok :)