1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Name that exhaust!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by THDrummer, May 31, 2012.

  1. THDrummer

    THDrummer New Member

    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Bloomington, IL
    Does anybody know what kind of exhaust this is? I'm not seeing any manufacturer markings on it. A PO put it on and it's insanely loud. Can I put some baffles in or should I just replace it?

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. pbjman

    pbjman Member

    Messages:
    352
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Algonac, MI
    ACK! Pods and open exhaust! YOU SHALL BE SHUNNED!

    Just kidding, but tuning advice may be hard to come by. I suppose you should be able to insert new baffles or buy new slip-ons, but they may affect jetting/tuning.
     
  3. Wirehairs

    Wirehairs Member

    Messages:
    392
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    St. Paul, MN
    I too recently bought a bike that had an aftermarket exhaust that is WAY too loud. I considered the baffle idea, and researched it online, but it was hard to find one that would fit properly in there. Since I wanted a stock exhaust in the long run, I found one and avoided putting a "band-aid" on the noise pollution and got my permanent fix. Sorry I'm not help in identifying the brand of your exhaust.
     
  4. THDrummer

    THDrummer New Member

    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Bloomington, IL
    Yeah, I bought it before I knew the headache that Pods/bigger jets/exhaust can cause on these bikes.

    I'm considering just taking it back to stock if I can find everything that I need. It does sounds great at idle, but when you get on it, it's ridiculously loud!
     
  5. ManBot13

    ManBot13 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,592
    Likes Received:
    177
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Fairfax, VA
    That looks like it's just the mufflers that are aftermarket, so you've got the collector still intact. You can put any muffler on it really, the collector is supposed to provide all the back pressure you need.

    To go back to stock, you'd need the mufflers and airbox. Get new airbox-carb joints. Getting the airbox in will involve pulling the engine (not hard, just warning you, some have been successful without pulling the engine, but I'm not sure that was on a 750 seca). If you just want to quiet it down a little, but have some grumble, many members have been happy with sporter mufflers that fit or just need a little work to fit.

    I pulled the pods off of my bike, installed an airbox, and replaced the baffles that the PO had destroyed on a MAC 4-2 system. It was well worth it for me to get as close to stock as possible without breaking the bank, and I only had to do a little rejetting.
     
  6. KA1J

    KA1J Member

    Messages:
    729
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Groton, CT
    I'm not sure that the collector is the whole story, maybe it is. My first exhaust was a Mac 4-1 and then I found a Jardine spaghetti but like the original Yama system, there were crossover pipes on the mufflers which have some effect on the extraction. Now I have original pipes with the crossover but I was looking at the Mac 4-2 and they don't look to have a crossover. Hard to find anyone making mufflers to fit on any more so it's good they're out there

    But I do think the muffler design also is important for proper back pressure.
     
  7. jmilliken

    jmilliken Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,572
    Likes Received:
    46
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Dillsburg, PA
    You still got the collector box, you can replace just the muffler
     
  8. OzRoadbandit

    OzRoadbandit Member

    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Cobra Exhaust slash cut maybe ?

    Looks similar to what the Suzuki VS750 Intruder used as stock. Head down to the local MC wreckers and see if you could grab a couple baffles from an Intruder, possibly make them work.

    There's definitely bolt holes for them there so there will be baffles available somewhere.... (its that somewhere that makes it tricky...)
     
  9. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    They're copies of Jardine slash-cuts (if they were real Jardines they'd be marked) probably either EMGO or from JC Whitney; or they could be some no-name Oriental brand off eBay.

    They're just "slip ons" so they will be easy to replace if you can't find baffles.
     
  10. racegeek

    racegeek Member

    Messages:
    143
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    evans city pa
    if you decide to swap back let me know if you sell those.
     

Share This Page