1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need a wiring guru to please help. 81’ xj750 seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Wegan, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Wegan

Wegan New Member

Hello, so I thought my issue of my bike only turning off if taking off a battery lead was my ignition switch. So I removed it and cleaned it.

After replacing it, I found the issue was still there, and stayed even with the switch unplugged.

Then I got out my multimeter to test continuity (cause none of those wires should be connected before the switch) and I found my red and blue have a short somewhere (this is the red, brown, blue clip harness)

looking at the wiring diagrams, I don’t see any places where they would be touching, or cross paths.

all help is greatly appreciated!!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

are you testing the connector for the switch or the connector to main harness for the ignition switch?

3. Wegan

Wegan New Member

Main harness, the original pressure plate all tests out just fine.

4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

I would say to disconnect every plug in the headlight bucket that has a blue wire in either side of it, then check them all the ones you've disconnected to make sure someone hasn't hacked together two connectors that aren't supposed to go together. Then verify that you don't see continuity between red and blue, and then start reconnecting them to see at least in which circuit the short is located.

5. Wegan

Wegan New Member

so I have the Atari off fully, and so all the plugs are off:/.

6. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

There are no blue wire plugs still connected in the bucket? Not everything in the bucket goes to the Atari. I'm pretty sure there's at least one blue wire going from the ignition switch to the license plate lamp. That one should not go through the Atari.