1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

need gas tank for 85'XJ700 Maxim

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by btown1056, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. btown1056

    btown1056 Member

    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    bloomington,in
    I put straight bars on my 85' XJ700 Maxim and now I need more room for the bars to turn so i'm wondering what others tanks will fir my bike that are smaller in size than the original tank. If anyone knows please let me know.
     
  2. gremlin484

    gremlin484 Member

    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Instead, you could add a little meat to your turning stop to shorten the turning radius. I put clubman bars on my bike, so after modifying the stop the bars don't hit the tank anymore.

    You only use your turning radius in the garage anyways.
     
  3. btown1056

    btown1056 Member

    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    bloomington,in
    how do you go about modifying the stops?
     
  4. gremlin484

    gremlin484 Member

    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I welded "L" shaped metal pieces to either side of the stop. ( Clean the weld spots with a dremel or similar ) Mind the thickness of metal you use. Too thin and the bars will still hit the tank, too thick and you wont be able to lock the forks. I had to use 1/4 inch thick metal to get it just right. Quick shot of black spray paint to keep it from rusting, and you're golden.
     

Share This Page