1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need Help - Master Cylinder Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Palmer650#2, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

Hi gurus! I am rebuilding the MC for my 1980 XJ650J and I'm having difficulty installing the new "piston cup" seal over the piston. I lubricated it w brake fluid but still... Ugh! Do you guys have any tips? What direction should I try to work it over? The threaded side or the end of the piston where the lever contacts it? It's very difficult to stretch onto the piston. The rebuild kit components are correct because everything is the same size.

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I'm no guru but stay with the brake fluid. Stand the piston on end and apply the same force with both thumbs. It'll go on...eventually. o_O I can't remember which end I put it on first when I rebuilt mine a couple years ago.

Gary H .

3. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

Thanks Gary! I soaked the seal in brake fluid and stretched it on from the top (Not the threaded side). I put a smooth pick between the piston and the seal and used it's leverage to aid in stretching it over the raised part. I was worried it would tear but it was more plyable after soaking in the fluid.

jayrodoh and Stumplifter like this.
  4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Anytime.

Gary H.

5. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

Hey folks. 82 Maxim XJ650J. Cant get the retainer ring off to remove the piston. Any ideas? I have a pair of circlip pliers with changeable tips but can't seem to reach in far enought o get leverage to pull the clip.

6. vashtsdaytona

vashtsdaytona Active Member

a long pick or two or a pick and a small but long enough flat screw driver.

use pick to pull snap ring away from groove. put your other implement behind it to keep it from going back into groove. use pick on other ear of the snap ring and pull that side. overall diameter of snap ring is then small then groove and comes out.

7. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

You rock my friend. I went to a hardware store and Oreilly auto parts today looking for a pair of clip ring pliers with longer tips but no luck. Your idea worked great. Thanks again.

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

and always stuff the lower end with rags, just in case the clip falls free.
    oops, I thought we were discussing the piston wrist pin clip. Wrong post sorry.