1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

need site logo ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by SnoSheriff, Mar 7, 2006.

1. secaman

secaman Member

ok slammojo u r getting there!
    can u do the bikes un silhouetes?
    or just 2 colors like black and white
    ir some other nice printable color!

How's this? Better? yes

2. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Yes, Robert, that was a very careful consideration when I put in my query. I chose brevity, anonymity, and generalities. I merely asked what their "normal" policy is.

If it came down to "officially" asking, the whole game would change. I'm very familiar with the tact and politics of making such a request.

Z

PS: I didn't think to ask if "XJ" was registered too.
    PPS: I would never "officially" ask without asking first. ;-)

3. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Here are the logo requirements:
    1. It will be used on this site.
    2. It will be used on any potential XJBikes products. Being caps, shirts, bandanas or what have you.
    3. It must be simple. Like a small graphic or just the lettering…

So, a logo with motorcycles on the sides will not be good for #2 above because that takes up too much space. But once we nail the simple logo, then the XJ motorcycle outlines can be added here on the site header. In fact I like that idea.

I really like that first one by furyus with Yamaha logo built into it. Unfortunately we can’t use it :cry:. Can we do anything with that logo?

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

I like this one too. Nicely done.

5. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    One of the problems is that xjbikes.com is long and narrow...

I wonder if we could arc it a bit... or put XJ in large letters and banner bikes.com below it... unfortunately it would could be misinterpretted.

I'm quietly thinking as well.

Another possibility - a line outline of the front wheel (inward spiraling spokes) with xjbikes.com simply wrapped around the top half making up the tread portion... or even done like the dunlop white lettering on the sidewall.

6. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    A really quick sketch of the previous idea I had... trying to capture the swirling wheel the full url and keep it simple enough it could be etched on metal or stamped on a shirt.

Of course I'd replace the swirl with a photoshopped front wheel stylized to black and white and smoothed... and the lettering would be redone to a more sidewall appropriate font.

[​IMG]

7. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Think they'd mind if we used exactly the same logo, but replace the tuning forks with wishbones?! 8O

Sure, that just goes to show my creative genius. :roll: I'll be sitting on the sidelines again, rooting for my favorite.

Z

8. SnoSheriff

How about placing XJ wheel/rim here instead? Could use the fender to 'bridge' the XJ with Bikes on the top. Or not if it looks like crap. Also it would need to be an outline or something to 'fit' the font as it does now...

9. Robert

Robert Active Member

Zilla, I can see I'm rather short sighted. Regarding your earlier post concerning correspondence with Yamaha, I had assumed (yes, I know what that means and I earned those stripes) that your question was your first endevor at communicating with the company (or any company for that matter). Your subtle approach fooled me. I apologize, I did not mean any disrespect. I, however do not understand the logic behind being vauge initial contact, what is the strategy? I'm confused, I would have been very direct. Please help educate me.

10. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

My primary concern was NOT representing myself as the owner or administrator of this site. I did not ask permission to inquire at Yamaha, and from that point the only way to go was vague and incognito.

Secondarily, I sometimes have the nasty habit of approaching tasks from what appear to be reverse angles. If I, with permission, were to earnestly ask for rights to use the Yamaha image as part of this web site's logo, I would not have gone that route. And especially not now, since I know it will only get me the webmaster, who is in the habit of giving canned statements that any monkey would be able to guess. Also, I have a tendency to come across as naive, which I think sometimes gets better results. Honey, instead of vinegar.

Personally, I think it is worth pursuing. This site represents this particular brand, and these particular models in a very positive light. The site is purely about volunteerism and support, where it is desperately needed, on an older, classic Yamaha product. What harm would befall Yamaha in using their icon?

No offense taken. I know we are all here to ask, help, and give, the best way we know how.
    Z

11. Robert

Robert Active Member

Well said comrade, I see the light. Grandad used to say you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar, nice to see this timeless wisdom is shared by fellow members. Zilla, you are truely well versed and clever, I'm glad to have you here spreading the wealth. I have much to learn (I just pray the brain cells don't loose cohesion sooner rather than later, I want to enjoy the knowledge a while). I agree this icon is well worth the effort, it could reap benefits for them (not to mention us!). Peace to all.

12. furyus

furyus Member

More work done...dig it?

Regards,
    Furyus

Attached Files:

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

Nice! They both have excellent qualities, I'd be hard pressed to choose.

14. furyus

furyus Member

I...can't...stop...must...sleep...

Attached Files:

15. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Looks like we have another graphics guru in our midst. I like the first one of the last two. Simple but effective.

IMO, some of the previous ones using the tuning forks, while being very good, don't seem to me to reflect the true XJ status. To my knowledge (and feel free to hassle me if I am wrong) the tuning fork logo never appeared on an XJ bike in any form other than an internal stamp on some moulded parts and of course on the box that all the parts came in.

My choice of a common denominator with most XJ's wouldbe the tank badge. Would be hard to incorporate into logo's stickers etc though.

16. SnoSheriff

Nice work furyus 8O :D. Guys, does that XJ wheel look a little like it’s off a bicycle? Basically not ‘motorcycle’ tough?

I thought about it some more and here is another idea. XJ birth was in the 80’s (or was it late 70s?). So, how about incorporating some sort of extinct prehistoric animal into the logo graphic? Or some sort of XJ evolution timeline?

17. secaman

secaman Member

hmm u calling my bike old?? ;)

18. Andersen

Andersen New Member

How about 3D?

Attached Files:

19. Ian.k

Ian.k Member

you get what you wanted... let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

20. Robert

Robert Active Member

Again you produce great work, I'm jealous. Wish I could imagine such things. Would you be able to whip up something with a decidedly XJ appearance? The previous examples included the swoop exhaust, swirl front rim, and the motor profile. Would you be able to whittle something out of those? I believe, and this is just me talking, that the desire for the logo is to have something that is readily identifiable as an XJ component (I'm still just wondering how to make the oil pump into something but there is no doubt someone here will surprise me).