1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need tires and I have some questions.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ryancdossey, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

3. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

The fork springs will be bike specific - well kinda - if you want to take advantage of their calculations, etc. Fork springs all look pretty damn similar, so unlike rear shocks where you can just size em up and look at compression numbers, etc, imho i would just go with what they reccomend for your bike.

They'll look just like whats in there and at first im sure you'll think what i did and be like "wtf, what a waste of money, these look exactly the same" but once you get them in and RIDE them, you'll be impressed.

Pull the fork caps, pull the spacer out(just a metal tube), pull the old springs out, pull the drain bolt on the bottom of the fork leg, drain the old fork oil, replace the drain bolt and torque it to the proper spec, add the specified ammt of new fork oil(i and many others prefer 15wt over the stock reccomended 10wt) into the top of each fork tube, drop in the new spring being sure its installed in the right direction, put the spacer back in, then put the caps back on and you're good to go.

If theres a schrader valve on the caps, use a shock pump to bring up the pressure to whats recommended EQUALLY on both sides. I check with a digital pressure gauge with a bleed button to bring down to exact pressure.

5. mtnbikecrazy55

For your capacity - thanks to Len:

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that procedure sort of works but you need some way to support the front wheel off the ground. when you pull the last cap off to take out the spring, the forks collapse all the way from the weight of the bike and the spring comes up soaked in oil and might make a big oily mess.
    get the oil draining, figure out how to get the wheel off the ground then take the springs out.
    with the new spacer size the oil amounts might be different, the springs might come with instructions for different volumes or heights, mine did

7. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Suspensions can be "Tuned" just like an engine. It can be as easy or complicated as you want to make it. If the suspension you have now is bone stock, then new tires and "Fresh" suspension parts may/will feel like you have a brand new bike even though you have put it back to stock specs. For now, just follow what the new part manufacturers suggest and ride it for a while you will then have a base-line for tuning the ride.
    Here is a link to setting up the suspension on bikes known as "Setting the sag"
    http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=na ... Neq4&pbx=1
    It covers the "Tuning" of a bike suspension, lots of links and info or just set it up as stock.

8. mtnbikecrazy55

Oops, forgot about the front end being in the air polock, When i did mine the front end was in the air as i was also putting in tapred steerer bearings.

put on the centerstand and then a few tie down straps with a car parked on top of one end of the strap worked great to hold the back end of the bike down and the front in the air.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Handling wise, do the rears first. With the relatively low mileage on your bike, I doubt the original front springs are "sacked" out of spec; front springs are an upgrade at this point.

However, if your bike has the original KYB (POS) shocks on it, they were all done at 8K, max. Back in the day, we used to throw away the original shocks when the bike was brand new and replace them with S&K's (the company that evolved into Progressive Suspension.) The original shocks were well known for being completely worn out after 6K ~ 8K miles as well as not very good to begin with.

10. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Thank you bigfitz I'll order them soon. Doing some work to my accord right now which has stolen some funds.

Tires will be mounted and balanced tomorrow then its just a matter of getting a nice day to take her out. Break them in and see what they can do.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

this is the wrong time of year to "see what they can do".
    maybe just a little putt putt ride for now

12. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Lol. You have a valid point. It'll have to be a day in the 50's at least. We still have snow on the ground... But end of this next week we are going to be mid 50's the 60's.