1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New project in the midst

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by reajcox, Nov 4, 2010.

1. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

This is the part of the program where the anti-choppers who told you the bike is too pristine to chop step up and put their money where their mouths are. Make an offer. Prove your point. Show reajcox exactly how nice this bike is.

The silence is deafening...

Chop away, young man!

BTW, Schoot, The Horse Mag rules. Have you ever seen the XJ550 that XS Speed built a few years back. Sweet bike he built for under $1000.

2. schooter

schooter Active Member

nope havent subscribed yet, only bought the mags with TCU members in it. you should go to thechopperunderground.com 16ozbud, they will love your bike

3. mechanicalmadness

mechanicalmadness Member

Im on the fence about mine too. (have to put some pics up) Its in relatively good shape for its years with the only scratches on it visible when you remove the seat(on the tank under the seat). Though After thinking about it I will more then likely go the caffee way.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

A clean low mileage 550 like that can bring $1200-$1800 in the spring, depending on where you are and how well it runs.

I guess it really all depends on if you want to RIDE the bike or work on it all the time. And of course, if you do plan to ride it, HOW you plan to ride it. I have a couple of cafe-racer type buddies who have no problem making fun of my comfortable up-foamed seat, but the shoe goes onto the other foot at about the 200-mile mark... "your bike really is comfortable isn't it?..."

5. reajcox

reajcox Member

Oooooooh ahhhhhhhhh I just found my colors. Gloss black no metallic and bronze marbled scallops.

6. schooter

schooter Active Member

i have a skirtster seat on mine only complaint is my mid controls, my 6'2" body doesnt like them for 200 miles plus

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I'd ride it as is for one season and find out if you like it that way. You may not like the seating position or peg location for long rides or it may fit you perfect, who knows. The handlebars may be in just the right place. The only way to find out is to ride it.

In my case, I found I couldn't get comfortable on my 750 Seca, no matter what I did to it. I installed a full (Vetter) fairing on it for better early-morning rides to work, but I still could not see riding it any farther than that with the seating position. Once I decided I hated the ride, and the looks of the Seca in it's tock form...I decided, that's that.
    I did some reaserch and got some ideas on how I wanted the bike to look, and what I needed to do to make it comfortable for me to ride long distances. Let the cutting begin!!

I took my time and transformed my XJ into something that sits better (for me) and looks better (my personal taste) It took a few years of trial and error. I swapped different parts when I found better ones. I changed the seats 4 times to get one I liked and looked good. I changed the handlebar/riser arrangement 3 times to get ones I finally liked. I did three rear fender changes along the way when I found others I liked better. I re-painted when I felt the need. I swapped the turn signals a few times when I found ones liked better from swap meets and scratch & dent stores or garage sales. I found that in some instances, it's better to make my own part than to buy it. I like to cut, drill, weld and fabricate things, so this project was right up my alley.

The point is, I found the mods to be very enjoyable thruout the whole process and kept me busy learning better ways to do things.
    And most of all, this forum has given me the knowledge to go ahead and do things I may have never done or attempted on a bike.

As long as you remember to make sure all the bolts are tight, your welds are strong enough to hold and your lights are doing what they're intended to do, there is no end to the magic of fabrication or mods.
    Most of my parts/mods are either fabricated by me or from other makes and models of bikes that were not intended for my bike. If I like the part, I make it fit.
    It's like race cars, hunting or any other past time...it gets into your blood!

If your not handy with tools, leave it stock and ride it or go find a bike that fits you better.

8. reajcox

reajcox Member

OK maybe I better clarify a few things here.

My first bike was a GS500E that got T-boned. The second was a GSF600 that eventually got sold. The third was a GS550L that became more rat than stock. Then came a Vulcan 500 that got instantly repainted and bobbed. After the vulcan was a 200cc 3/4 chopper that was well modified to hit 85+mph and street legal. Then came a SECAII (didn't last long). Found my first bike all over again another GS500E which I'm currently still working on and is being made to my wishes. I stumbled upon this XJ550 and decided I could always use another project.

I think I've went through enough bikes to find the points I like and don't like.

I grew up the son of a welder / fabricator / equipment operator. (had to learn the trade. Nuff said) Then I spent 13 years working as a mechanic.

I have no fear of this project!!! If I don't like it it can be changed.

9. reajcox

reajcox Member

10. reajcox

reajcox Member

It has begun!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

11. BillB

BillB Active Member

will you sell me the wind sheild?

12. BillB

BillB Active Member

id also pay up for the highway pegs

13. reajcox

reajcox Member

Keeping the highway pegs they may go back on in the end but the windshield sure. Make me an offer.

14. reajcox

reajcox Member

Now totally committed. Not really I could still slug the tail and weld her back on.

[​IMG]

15. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Since you have the skills, I have two words for ya:

Stretch it!

16. wizard

wizard Active Member

Have you got a plan you want to share?

17. reajcox

reajcox Member

Yeah the plan is a page back.

I like a soft ride so the suspension stays. however it needs to be dropped in the rear. I'm considering a 2" stretch for the swing arm get that tire back there more and out of my butt.

Gauges need to be cut down to a speedo preferably a mini 0-140mph with led indicators.

Exhaust needs to be worked over and will require some more serious thought. But, I do see a wrap in its future.

As for the seat, I'm thinking Black plain and spring rear solo. I also want to incorporate a passenger pylon that is removable.

Possibly a different fuel tank. Thinner less contour but not a peanut. Totally depends on how it looks.

Paint looks like a black frame since it's already spotless. the tank and what rear fender there is done in gloss black base coat and bronze airbrush work.

Wheels???? I gotta find some spokes if I do anything.

18. waldo

waldo Member

I do like the spokes myself. Did you see the post on fitting a rear wheel on the front to get a wider tire on there? Are you going to remove center stand? One of the things I have thought about was to hide all the electrics in part of the fuel tank battery tci regulator basically all the junk under the seat would be gone.

19. wizard

wizard Active Member

More of the same, then?

20. reajcox

reajcox Member

Center stand is going away but will be in the garage to get the bike up for service. I'm thinking or building a battery tray and an electronics can under the seat.