1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Ride proposal - Aviation Museum

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by bill, Jul 7, 2009.

1. bill

bill Active Member

Should be able to go 64 almost all the way I think. I avoid 40 and 85 on my bike.

Ok as we pull this together I would suggest we meet for breakfast somewhere near Apex since I think Mark is closest to 64. Mark can you suggest a meeting place?

We can decide on times and meet the Charlotte bunch at the Aviation museum. I was thinking of meeting up at 7 or 7:30 to eat that should put us in Ashboro about 9:30 to 10 I think.

I'll start a list of folks planning on coming. Sounds like a pretty large group forming. The more the merrier

2. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Bill can you add a Rally point and time we would leave from that rally point in apex or somewhere near 64? or let me know what time you will be leaving from the diner? I leave in Franklinton and so does two of my friends who'd like to come. If I had to be in Apex by 7:30 I would have to leave my house at 6:15 at the latest, meaning I would have to wake up a lot earlier an so forth to meet up with the guys before heading to APEX. Hate to be a drag, but I might just eat breakfast at home meet with my friends and then meet at a rally point on the way. ??

3. bill

bill Active Member

We can do that or depending on group concensous we can meet later - I'm just throwing out ideas

4. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Bill,

The more the merrier is very true. Try to get an accurate head count. When a group ride gets large (beyond 4-6) motorcycles the following logistics become important and you can't be as informal as you can be with say 4 riders who are familiar with each other.

1.) An initial ralley point or points with times.
    2.) A group ride discussion prior to leaving. Covers safety factors, ride protocol, group technique, leaders, and meeting points in case of separation. Usually also discusses route and may provide maps with phone numbers of leader(s). Choosing the trailers (the last motorcycle in a group) is also important. The leader and trailer have to cooperate for example on lane changes. Sometimes the trailer needs to claim the lane before those in front can move over.
    3.) Limiting motorcycle range. Someone is going to have the smallest tank. We'll need to identify their range and the leader(s) will have to watch their trip odometers to ensure we stop for gas.
    4.) It can be hard to keep large groups from getting separated. Sometimes you have to break into groups of 4-6 and go in multiple groups.
    5.) With a large group, getting lunch can even turn into a big deal. The Harley Museum restaurant closes at 2pm I think on Saturdays. If we all want to eat there than we'll need to factor that into the plan. I think the Aviation Museum and the Harley Museum are close by so leaving for lunch and returning is probably not too big a sidetrack. But if the group is large it might be worthwhile to call the restaurant so they are prepared for a large lunch rush (it's not a small restaurant but it's not huge either, may seat 25-35 max?)

This makes it really sound complicated (and makes me sound like an organization freak) but actually the purpose is to make the ride dynamics and schedule clear, simple, and above all safe. The alternative is unclear expectations, chaos, and confusion. Not characteristics that get you there and back in one piece or make you want to do it again.

5. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

Bill count me in I will definitly be there.

6. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I'll be there also, I have several friends that are interested in going(5 including myself). If we meet in Apex for breakfast the Ihop has the most seating capacity, they are in the Beaver Creek shopping center at Hwy 55 and Hwy 64 across from Lowes. That area is a good are to meet since we are heading East . There are some other eating places but they are mostly fast food places, but I am OK with that if everyone else is.
    It will be fun and I am looking forward to the trip.

7. NATOM

NATOM New Member

Count me in. Let me know a time and a place and I'll be there. This sounds like a great day.

8. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I like Artie's way of thinking, sounds a bit extensive but it will help out I think. MLEW's idea on the IHOP sounds great too.
    I was thinking on meeting you all that the IHOP around 8am, you guys will probably be there earlier but I eat really fast usually and might just eat at home before I leave. If my friend Brad comes ( he will more likely make it if it rains and the ride get's postponed to the 15th) he will probably be the one withthe smallest tank at 3.5 gallons (he's got a sportster)

9. bill

bill Active Member

Guys don't shoot the messenger. I have no problem planning the trip but you guys are asking for who what when where and how and I don't have those answers yet. I did not expect such a large crowd - glad to have them but it will take some time to make the plans.

Hopefully this weekend I will sit down and list who I know is going and check on some logistics.

10. bill

bill Active Member

OK guys - for the Raleigh crew we will be leaving from the IHOP in APEX at 8:30AM for the Aviation Museum. August 8th
    Those who would like to can meet us for breakfast at 7:30AM.

If we have more than passing showers I am proposing August 15th as a rain date

IHOP
    1150 Beaver Creek Commons Drive
    Apex NC

We will be arriving at the Aviation museum about 10AM when they open. It is a 1.5 hour/63 mile ride.
    We Will probably stop about half way for a brief break/drink/ bathroom/gas/whatever. We can decide that before we leave.

Aviation Museum 10am to 5pm - $7 per person admission
    2222g Pilots view drive
    Asheboro, NC

DRIVING DIRECTIONS Starting at the IHOP
    --------------------------------------------------
    A) 1150 Beaver Creek Commons Dr, Apex, NC 27502-3919 US
    1. Start out going EAST on BEAVER CREEK COMMONS DR toward ZENO RD. (go 0.2 miles)
    2. Turn LEFT onto W WILLIAMS ST/NC-55 N. (go 0.3 miles)
    3. Merge onto US-64 W toward PITTSBORO. (go 57.5 miles)
    4. Turn LEFT onto NC-49. (go 0.1 miles)
    5. Turn RIGHT onto NC-49 S. (go 3.1 miles)
    6. Turn LEFT onto TOT HILL FARM RD. (go 1.4 miles)
    7. Turn RIGHT onto PILOTS VIEW RD. (go 0.4 miles)
    8. End at 2222G PILOTS VIEW RD, on the RIGHT. (go 0.0 miles)
    B) 2222g Pilots View Rd, Asheboro, NC 27205-9523 US
    >> TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 1 hour 26 minutes | DISTANCE: 62.98 miles

From there we wll go to the Harley Museum for lunch and view the Museum.
    Restaurant closes at 2pm. It is 10 min/5 miles from the Aviation Museum.
    We can play it by ear but will need to leave by 1 at the latest. The aviation museum is open until 5 - the Harley museum until 4.
    We can always swing back to the aviation museum if we want.

Harley Museum 6:00am to 4:00Pm Restaurant closes at 2:00pm Museum is free
    1170 Us Highway 64W
    Asheboro, NC

DRIVING DIRECTIONS
    A) 2222g Pilots View Rd, Asheboro, NC 27205-9523 US
    1. Start out going SOUTHEAST on PILOTS VIEW RD toward TOT HILL FARM RD. (go 0.4 miles)
    2. Turn LEFT onto TOT HILL FARM RD. (go 1.4 miles)
    3. Turn RIGHT onto NC-49 N. (go 3.1 miles)
    4. Turn LEFT onto NC-49. (go 0.1 miles)
    5. Turn LEFT onto US-64 W/US-64/W DIXIE DR. (go 0.0 miles)
    6. End at 1170 US HIGHWAY 64 W. (go 0.0 miles)
    B) 1170 Us Highway 64 W, Asheboro, NC 27205-2250 US
    >> TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 9 minutes | DISTANCE: 5.05 miles

yamasarus if you could arrange the Charlotte folks it would make it easier and we will all meet at the aviation museum at 10am.

Looks like 12 to 14 from Raleigh and 3 from Charlotte area right now. As Artie pointed out this is a good size group. We will most likely

break in half to keep it simple and watch after each other.

If you PM me I'll be glad to send my cell number so we can have contact just in case.

On the week of the trip I will ask for PMs to confirm your attendance - we don't want to leave anyone by just a minute or 2. That is where the cell #s will be handy.

11. xulf13

xulf13 Member

This is looking real good Bill. I can't wait. This will determine how confortable my bike is on long(er) rides. I'll bring my anti monkey butt powder (j/k)

12. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Okay all,

Many of you may not not have seen this post yet regarding bill's motorcycle accident.

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... art=0.html

Under the circumstances, what are everyones thoughts on continuing this ride. Postponing it until Bill can ride again is not realistic. Do we go anyway? Is that what Bill would want? Do we feel good about it?

13. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

I think Bill would want us to ride, but I think out of respect for him under these conditions it would be better if we waited. He might not want to ride again for awhile if ever again.

14. NATOM

NATOM New Member

Hi Artie,
    I think we should go on with the show and fulfill the plans that Bill had in place. I know I would really appreciate the opportunity to meet local XJ owners as I am new to the area. I also think this would be a good opportunity to have a group sign a card for Bill during his recovery. I am a local rider and would be willing to help out in anyway possible, please don't hesitate to ask....Thanks again for keeping us all informed.
    ~Tom

15. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

I was planning on going on the ride. I have been talking to BIll about it over the past couple of weeks. If you all want to go on with the ride let me know and keep me informed I will definitly be there.

Personally I think it would be disrespectful to continue the ride without him seeing as how it was his idea, but if you all want to ride anyways I will go.

If we do ride after we meet the first place we should ride to is the hostpital to see Bill if he is still in there.

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Guys; I'm not local to you. I HAVE been smashed to pieces laying in a hospital bed after bouncing my bike and myself off a car. Granted, I was very lucky and nowhere nearly as badly injured as Bill. But I can tell you this: the "group card" from the Norton Club meant more to me than anything else that got stuck in my room.

I think at the very least you should meet and sign a card or whatever else you might think appropriate.

17. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

I think at the very least you should meet and sign a card or whatever else you might think appropriate.[/quote]

Agreed: That is exactly what I was thinking Mr.Fitz. If we do ride we should see Bill first and foremost, that is most important.

18. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I doubt they'll let anyone but immediate family in where he's at.

If you do ride you should do it safely; THAT is first and foremost and most important.

This one has me rattled bad. Bill and I share basically the same "demographic" and like him, I ride to work quite a bit. Now I'm trying to decide about tomorrow.

"Riding Well is the Best Revenge." I don't remember where that quote came from, but it's always stuck with me.

19. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

They will let friends in, like I stated earlier I am going to see him at 9:00 tommorrow morning. You are right, riding safely is always first and foremost.

20. xulf13

xulf13 Member

WOW, I just found out about this. I was supposed to go to his house today after work. I'll keep him in my prayers.