1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Winter Project - XJ550 Seca

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by gomk007, Nov 2, 2013.

1. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Been riding the 550 quite a bit and really like this bike! I'm liking it more than the 650, particularly in the city. It's lighter weight and shorter length makes it really easy in city traffic, particularly dodging all of our potholes.

The engine loves to pull to it's redline and is smoother than my 650 - probably the rubber engine mounts on the 550 vs the 650 ridged mounts.

I won't be selling the 650 anytime soon, it's definatley my choice when riding 2-up, but these 550's are really something....

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yeah they are.

Did you find the little metal clip on the frame tube to keep the clutch cable away from the pipes?

Now ride it a bit more; then put the goofy fairing back on and go for a ride. I'm betting you'll take it right back off and leave it off.

Now, about those horns (if you decide to leave the fairing off...)

[​IMG]

3. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Probably wait on the faring for a bit, I much prefer the looks of the bike without it. Yes, think I got the clutch cable sorted, it's working really well.

Next big thing is to try and find one of those racks for the bike, you bike looks awesome and that rear rack fits in nicely.

Hoping it will warm up a bit this afternoon, probably take the 550 out for a ride.

...oh and yes those horns, where did you find 'em? I really like how you tucked them up next to the headlight.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The rack is a GSM "Sportrack" which was a period accessory. Although GSM is still in business, they no longer make motorcycle luggage racks.

They do however pop up on eBay occasionally. That's how I found mine.

The horns are by a company called Acumen in England. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acumen-12v-Moto ... B009T48RJO I bought them directly from the manufacturer, but I can't find their website at the moment thanks to Google's insistence on being helpful.

I mounted them in the stock locations.

5. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Nice looking ride

6. konigralph

konigralph New Member

The luggage rack is pretty useful, but if you can combine saddlebags and the luggage rack.. that'll be the ultimate touring machine. If only there was a way to mount some of these smaller saddlebags on.. http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle-un ... lebags.htm
    I really like them cuz they have locks, but i don't wanna drill in and let it hit my tire..
    Anyone have any suggestions besides bunjee cording a dufflebag to the luggage rack LOL

7. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Great looking bike.

Really like those horns fitz - how do they sound?

Also Fitz,not to threadjack, butttttt with those bar end mirrors, did you have to cut your grips?

8. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

This thread is getting me awfully excited to get cranking on my 550 project again :D

9. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

This is my dream garage, a 550 and a 650 seca ready to go... I want to be like you when I grow up :)