1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New XJ750 owner

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JackStandSunfire, Nov 9, 2021.

1. JackStandSunfire

JackStandSunfire New Member

Hi all! I just picked up my first motorcycle, An XJ750J maxim, i was wondering if there was anything other than basics like oil and sparkplugs that i should check before i get on the road with it! Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Beautiful bike.

Check date on tires...even if lots of tread, they can be dried out and prone to cracking/less traction if more than 5 years old.

Check brake pads on front. Check the rear brake adjustment that is left (believe this version has drum brakes, not hydraulic, on the rear?) Some models were prone to having rear drum brake pads "delaminate".

Check brake fluid color in master cylinder. Check function of brakes. Check date on brake lines - if original, REALLY replace. If I am not mistaken, they are about a 5-8 year replacement cycle if rubber. Replace with stainless steel if possible.

How do the valves sound? You actually want them to be noisy, like a sewing machine. If they are quiet, they are likely too tight and can cause damage. They tighten up with wear. Using the instructions on this site, it is really easy to check valve clearances and replace shims if out of adjustment.

Others can pipe in with suggestions. Safety items should always get a thorough review.

JackStandSunfire likes this.
  3. JackStandSunfire

Honestly thank you! Newish tires at 3 years old. Brand new brake lines. Fluid needs a change. And it runs just like a sewing machine. Brakes we're done shortly after the oil earlier this year, i got receipts from the seller.

The carbs feel a bit sluggish so ill run a bottle of carb cleaner through it eventually.

Thank you again!

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Really a clean bike. The PO must have loved that bike, so I would guess just from the look of it ride and enjoy.

JackStandSunfire likes this.
  5. JackStandSunfire

Yeah, id like to say he did. Bought it from an older guy off FB marketplace. Unfortunately he couldn't keep the bike due to nerve issues. I promised him id keep her nice and clean for the rest of her life

6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have had great success keeping my one owner xj550 running by regularly using SeaFoam or Mercury Quickleen in every tank.

It won't "unplug" carbs, but if fuel is flowing, I do believe it helps keep passages clean.

I have also religiously avoided using gasoline with alcohol added. Straight gas is still available where I live.

7. JackStandSunfire

Yeah, I've been looking around for my rouge can of seafoam, i bet it got lost in the last move, ill probably go buy some proper carb cleaner when i get paid and run around the neighborhood just to let her clean out a bit

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Carb cleaner sprayed inside really doesn't do much for the carbs on these bikes. In fact, they can probably do more harm than good...IMHO

Timbox likes this.
  9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I bet if you look for a white can instead of rouge, you’ll find it quicker :D:D

Franz and jayrodoh like this.