1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Joseph Draher, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Joseph Draher

Joseph Draher New Member

I'm going to check out and probably buy my first bike today I'm looking at 1982 yamaha xj750 maxim looks real mint in the in pictures and for 1000 bucks I couldn't pass it up, I'm wondering how do you tell the difference between the regular maxim and the midnight maxims?

2. Joseph Draher

Joseph Draher New Member

Has 28,000 miles on it btw

Attached Files:

Franz likes this.
  3. Joseph Draher

Joseph Draher New Member

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Midnight Maxims are black where the non- Midnights are chrome, exhaust and such, and other parts that are anodized aluminum are gold colored. Also they say "Midnight Maxim" on the side covers. Mechanically no different.
    John

5. Joseph Draher

Joseph Draher New Member

Thanks alot is there anything I should be looking out for when I check it today? Common issues with these bikes or things may need to be replaced? I know 28,000 isn't really high mileage for a 82 but its definitely no spring chicken

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The Maxim certainly looks well cared for.
    The mileage is low but how it has been maintained is much more important.
    If it runs good, idles at 1100 rpms, this will be your best indication of it's condition.
    If it is sputtering or refusing to run properly, beware of the seller telling you it might need some carb spray or new plugs.
    This is an indication that the carbs will likely need to be removed and rebuilt as they are 40 years old.
    The valves will need to be checked for correct clearances also.
    This site can guide you through this process, it is something you can do yourself.
    Actually, it is something you must do yourself as taking it to a shop rarely fixes the issues.
    Rarely is a $1,000 motorcycle ready to ride.

7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

As Simmy said, even a "clean" bike of this age needs certain things beyond the cosmetics. If it starting and running well, that is a good sign, but other possibilities include:

1) old brake lines/calipers/pads
    2) valve adjustment
    3) carburetor problems - needing complete tear down/overhaul (this aren't "just spray a little carb cleaner" type carbs)
    4) intake boots cracking/leaking air
    5) tires less than 5 years old, check date code on them
    6) fuze box disintegration

I am the only owner of an XJ550 that was kept well, is clean looking, but in the last 10 years I have had to put around$1k in parts (did my own labor) to keep it running safely and well. If all that work has been done already, and done correctly, this could be a very good deal.