1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Old Bike, Possible New Project.. New to Mechanics..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ScreamingGigabyte, Feb 2, 2013.

1. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

2 minds and 4 hands can often be a blessing! Congrats on finding a new friend and some help-if he knows his stuff (and you'll know right away as he WILL be able to help) be sure and soak up all you can-no better way to learn mechanics than from experience.

ref 'easy-out' - had mixed results with this tool. It seems to work well when there is a big enough 'shelf' to grab, but it's been way easier for me just to remove the small ones just like I described-create new flat slot, sharp small flat driver, vice clamps around lower portion near (2") the stuck screw, downward pressure with steady CCW twisting and...out she comes-after soaking in PB or Kroil of course. It's all about getting it to move that first little bit and the battle is won.

2. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

And its right at that moment when you realize "oh yeah i was holding my breath I can breath now" :D

3. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Yeah. like "pffffffffffffffffffffffff"!

4. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

He does know his stuff. I was told he has helped many people get their bikes running and that he is like a motorcycle doctor. haha. He said first we will make sure the starter still turns over then we will try and get it to fire up after some carb cleaning then move onto the valve clearance check and carb syncing amongst other things.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

When you are lucky enough to have a Skilled Mechanic offer to help you do repairs and maintenance; YOU should be able to hand them your personal Yamaha Factory Workshop Manual.
    Order one.

Having the Factory Text ::: specific ::: to your Bike.
    Owning a YICS Tool and Valve Shim Tool would be a BIG Plus.

When it arrives give your Manual a "Done it Myself" patina.
    In the Carbs, Brakes, Clutch and Head sections; apply overlapping fingerprints using the filthiest oil you got.

Turn to the back and put an index finger smudge right on every critical torque value so you almost can't read the number when you're done.
    On the Electrical Section's pages all you need are coffee cup, Coke-can, and dirty-tool circles and silhouettes.

You'll have all the answers.
    Always know how to do something.

6. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Rick you forgot a folded flat sparkplug box as a book marker on page 69.

7. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

I got the Haynes manual, though I couldn't find a Factory Service Manual when I was looking for a manual.

8. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

So I got the gas drained out and the right hand controls on (had to use a drill to get the screw out of the old one). Also got the wiring for the right hand control and brake hooked up. Went to put in the AGM Battery I bought only to find out I was sold the wrong one and they didn't have the correct one so I had to get a standard battery, which sucks. The guy is supposed to bring by a charger sometime this week so I can charge the battery up.

MC still has the screws stuck in them, we tried using a tap set and they wouldn't back out. He said he was gonna bring some sort of impact screwdriver to try next time and if that didn't work we would have to try to drill the screws out and hope it doesn't mess anything up.

9. RickCoMatic

To Save that Master Cylinder:

Drill-Out the remant to the next Drill size.
    (Not sure if its Metric, Number or Common Fraction)

There is enough Stock to TAP New Threads where the Broken Screws fit.
    Tapping the Hole is quite easily done.

Buy Stainless Cap Screws as replacements.
    You need to Drill the Oversize Hole in the Cover Holes, too.
    A "Single-hole Paper Punch" - or as previously mentioned, a Bullet Cartridge, will act as a Punch.

[​IMG]

10. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

Since I'm not confident in doing that alone, I'll let my mechanic buddy that is helping me know. I'll see if he has a tap set to do that.

11. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

I know I'll have to rebuild the Master Cylinder, but the company I bought the MC from has offered to swap it with another. He sent me this one and asked if it would work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350752419839?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

I like the clearish look all around, makes it easier to see than those viewing windows on the XJ. Would his possibly work? Says it takes the same Brake Fluid I need (last one I saw required DOT4).

12. RickCoMatic

Technically. ... It's the wrong part.

3G1-25850-00-00 = XS
    4H7-25850-02-00 = XJ

The numbers don't match-up in style and fit.

Ii think you could make it happen IF you Swap Handlebars for some off an XS Bike or a Model with the matching numbers.

(The late-70's XS-Specials had a sporty bend.)