1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

One cylinder not firing...tips

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by beardking, Mar 7, 2007.

1. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

Thanks Kiwi....

I went down and cut up the coil and measured the primary. It was 2.7 ohms on both coils. The seccondaries were about 11.5k ohms on all but cylinder #3 which was 9.1k ohms. I re-soldered ignition wires on the #2 and popped a new wire on #3 and sealed it all up with JB weld. Just waiting for it all to dry so I can fire it up to see if the coil works again. I will be using the new one I ordered, but if this one works it will be a backup.

:D

thanks for the help on finding that post.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Nice work on the Coil surgery. I started on one and gave-up.

You should be firing-on-all-cylinders ... and ready to rock for the Spring and Summer.

Now ... if we can just get a few of the new people to put their locations on the page below the Avatar ...

... and include their Bike Profile in the "Signature" feature ... maybe a few of them will get fixed-up and runnin' good for the season, too!

3. beardking

beardking Member

OK, so I've finally gotten started on taking down my carbs and getting them all cleaned up trying to get this issue taken care of. One thing that I'm wonder, are my jets correct? I'm attaching a diagram showing what I have found so far in my #1 carb. And for background info, this bike is all stock mechanically. The only non-stock items I can find are the turn signals I put on and the headlight.

[​IMG]

4. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

Not sure about the jets, but that is a nice cross-section view of the carbs...I think I will save that for yet another reference if I ever have to dismantle my carbs.

Yeah, I hope the coil and wires fixes my problem...I really don't want to have to pull those carbs.

5. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

oh and Rick, I added my bike info in my sig. :D

6. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

UPDATE: Last night installed the fully cured coil, put new plugs in, re-adjusted the float bowls (2 was spot on, 1 and 4 were low and 3 was high) and turned the key...fired up immediately and hat hot hot hot exhaust on all 4 cylinders. Checked the floats and all 4 are just on the bottom side of the acceptable range, but they are even all across. Now all that is left to do is sync.....

I'll be riding soon :D

beardking...Hope you get your bike issue worked out soon.

Oh and for your info, all my main jets are 112.5 according to the text on them. I didn't read the pilot jets...I forgot. sorry.

7. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Beardking those jets are all correct for the 650 Maxim. The Seca's have a 195 pilot air jet.
    How did you measure the secondary resistance and come up with #3 being weak? Secondary is measured from one lead thru the coil to the other lead with the plug caps off. So you can't isolate one lead from another.

8. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

I was talking about the plug boots when I was saying #3 was weak...sorry if I confused you. That boot looked damaged, and the plug wires were old and brittle....the secondary of the coil was borderline when I measured it through the two plug wires with no boots. I determined that I needed new wires and boots, so that is what I did.

sorry for the confusion.

9. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Confusion!? Why, that's my natural state!!@ :)