1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Other than your bike what do you drive?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Victa, Oct 3, 2008.

1. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

I'm a CHEV man myself. I drive a 2005 Chev Silverado crew cab, with the 5.3 Litre. Use it mostly for hauling my Travel trailer though!

2. Victa

Victa Member

This is great guys, let's keep them coming.

3. Altus

Altus Active Member

Don't count it as a mistake if you're planning on towing - 2wd gets a good 1000lbs higher towing rating than 4wd. And that truck is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping to get. Why?

Current other family vehicle is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.3L engine. 16mpg city, 24mpg highway, 20 is our average. So I could move into the above truck, and essentially get the SAME fuel mileage, more cargo capacity, and WAY more towing ability; and it just costs a little interior space. As the family wants to get a camper trailer -- guess what I'm gonna do? :wink:

4. goattank

goattank New Member

Lets see... besides the ugly puke green machine (81 maxim 550) I have an 88 S15 4.3l(was a v8 swap), the DD is an 89 civic B18 swap (about to return it to autocross mode), an 84 rx7 v8 swapped, an 80 rx7 on stands waiting for a cage and a new heart, and last but not least a 62 corvair about to go under for a full-on front engine/ full frame setup. My motto is "Why pay for a nice car when I can build a cobbled together piece of crap thats all go and no show?"

5. jonhohlf

jonhohlf New Member

1996 VW Passat TDI Wagon (47MPG and 1030 miles so far on this Tank, and room to haul the family of 5)
    1994 Audi 90 Quatro Sport 190,000 miles and climbing
    1997 Eagle Vision TSI (for Sale)
    1974 Ford Maverick Stallion (one of less than 50 built)
    1959 Ford Ranchero (restoration in process)

6. rmkopp

rmkopp New Member

1986 Merkur XR4TI
    2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

My spouse's 2004 Subaru WRX wagon

7. redfire

redfire Member

82 Ford F150
    84 Chevy Camaro
    94 Mazda Miata
    00 Mazda 626
    01 Ford F150 Supercrew

I like variety

8. dburnettesr

dburnettesr Member

I'll join the chevy crowd,,, 89 IROC my pride an joy ,,,,,dark red with flame red trim,gray leather 350tpi auto ttops power everything all stock,,,113k mi it's not perfect it's been drove,,,,but there's no rust,, lots of knowledge here http://www.thirdgen.org/

99 suburban 350 4x4 I work with the guy that bought it new,,,no kids just light trips to canada,,,, for it's towing ability..

my 05 kaw connie,,,just a good cheap road bike has good support,,here's the link to the forum http://forum.concours.org/

good people on these sites not as good as you guys but good non the same..

9. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch Member

My daily driver is a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

A little heavier on the gas than my wife's Nissan, but I needed something with securable cargo space to haul my drum kit... 8)

10. Victa

Victa Member

Nice, what kind of drum kit do you have?

11. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch Member

I have 2 - a Sonor Designer 5 pc and a ddrum4 setup. Needless to say, neither will fit in my wife's car when in their cases... :(

12. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

1988 F350 Crew cab 4x4 Big Blue , pulls the boat(1991 Bayliner 2655) and take out the trash, at 8mpg I don't drive it much
    Daily driver is a 99 Dodge Intrepid(2.7 L piece of crap engine) can't complain much I only paid 550$ for it
    My wife drives a 98 Sebring conv
    The XJ/XS are my favorites

13. albert311

albert311 New Member

:cry:
    Im japanese all the way
    03 nissan pathfinder 17 mpg
    98 nissan maxima 22mpg 03 nissan 4x4 truck 15mpg

nothing with good mpg Im loving my 82 750 maxim daily rider 34 years nissan tech

14. Wombat

Wombat Member

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Modded & Daily Driver
    1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Bone stock & Garage Ornament
    1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL - Anyone need any parts? ;)
    (2) 1988 Jeep Comanches - Sport Truck and Pioneer Models

Those are the cars I CURRENTLY own. I could add the ones I've had and sold, but it would just be more 3000GT's and Comanches (I kid you not).

Two VR-4's side by side
    [​IMG]

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer
    [​IMG]

Garage full of 3000GTs/Stealth (and a Comanche in the back)
    [​IMG]

First car - 1989 Jeep Wrangler (Wish I still had it)
    [​IMG]

My daily driver
    [​IMG]

15. schooter

schooter Active Member

awww man all those 3000gt's ... and i still beg my dad for one..... sigh he wont let me get it cuz its Jap Crap, rice burner, etc. But i like how you converted your barn into a garage, should get rid of all those freestal pipes

16. Wombat

Wombat Member

I was going to take all of the stalls to the junkyard this summer when the price of scrap was high, but I kept holding out because it just kept going up. I guess I missed my chance, though, since the price went way down again....oh well.

As for the 3000GT/Stealth being Jap crap. Well, it's definitely built better than a lot of older Japanese cars, but it still has it's flaws - and some fatal ones too - like locking transfer cases and spun rod bearings. The problem with this car is that it IS a sports car and a lot of the people that bought them didn't treat them as such. Because the car is AWD, it does require a little bit of extra maintenance when you're changing the oil/filter. Gotta check the transfer case fluid level because they're known to leak with age and if that case goes dry, you're in for a real treat, especially if you're at highway speeds. It was also unknown for the longest time why the DOHC engines in these cars spun so many rod bearings. It wasn't until recently that some diehard enthusiasts figured out that the oil pickup screen is REALLY close to the bottom of the oil pan and because the car sits so low to the ground, the oil pan sometimes becomes dented. When that happens, the oil pump can't get enough oil to the engine, namely the rod and main bearings.

They're fun cars, but the fun comes at a price. It's not cheap to fix these things anymore. I'm due for a 120K service on my daily driver and I've been putting it off until I get my next paycheck, if that gives you any indication of the cost of parts. These cars aren't like most that have 100+ aftermarket manufactures making knock-off parts for half the price. There is a limited supply of parts out there and most knock-off suppliers are making some real junk. For example, the water pump you get at Auto Zone (or someplace similar), has been known to snap the center shaft that the timing belt rides on. Problem is, these engines are interference engines so when the timing belt goes, your valves are now bent. A simple water pump job just cost you your engine.

17. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

[​IMG]

My '01 LHS...great and reliable car...keeping it 'til it pukes...

18. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

if he takes out the loli-columns, the floor joists will sag right down and rest on those gt's.

19. Wombat

Wombat Member

I can still remove all of the old milking stalls without a problem, though. I think that may have been what he was referring to.

20. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Winter/Rain ride is:

2005 Ford Escape XLT - Electric Blue
    V6 4x2 ~60k km