1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Perfect day, until your gas tanks spills into your crankcase and into the street

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by Edwin Portillo, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Edwin Portillo

Edwin Portillo New Member

Hello! I've been a member for a little maybe a year first post but I've read countless forums on here that have saved me, riding a 82 maxim xj 750

Well I changed my peacock because I noticed it was leaking one day, now a whole season later, I go to leave where I had parked my bike( temperature dropped by 25 degrees around and 50 at night 70 day) when I went to turn over the engine nothing, sometimes it's a rough start if it's been sitting for sometime but it was 2 hours so I thought it was odd, played with the choke and eventually it turned on for a moment, looking at the gas meter which was half full upong arrival, I realized it's empty and as the engine dies out I look down to see most of the tank dripping out of my airbox, lol. I wasn't even mad, because the forums had told me if my carbs weren't maintained these things were destined. So I removed my carbs today and saw the airbox still had a bit of a puddle, drained the oil and the oil filter, what about the plugs? I left the oil screw up capped and poured a whole quart to try and get most of that gas/oil out of the engine.
    What am I missing?
    Never cleaned a carb before but the videos look straight forward, removal took me 15 mins so i think I should be able to clean and rebuild on my own, anything else you'd do?

History
    Brake cables and system redone
    Cables lubed, fusebox changed, alternator system checked I believe I had to change a minor part, replaced soloniod , i forget what it's called but I think handlebar bearings, the thing that controls the turning and how straight you drive, and fork seals redone, new tires, new battery,

Everything works except I'm missing the battery receiver? The thing that tells the dash that the battery is there and the headlights are garbage but oem none the less lol HELP love you guys, seriously this bike is a blessing and a curse but you guys make it more of a blessing, feels good to hear the engine of this thing running beautifully

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Float stuck, float needle(s) not sealing, or float needle seat gaskets have failed.

IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN

Setting the fuel levels

Replacing your Hitachi throttle shaft seals

Battery sensor: Wire a 5.6 k Ohm 1/4 watt resistor inline with the sensor wire and hooked to the battery positive terminal (using appropraite connectors and shrink-wrap).

The headlight probably just needs a new bulb, and maybe the inside of the housing cleaned.
    The other "headlight" is a fog light, and will look like it's crap until you realize that it's showing you where the edge of the road is so you don't ride off of it when it's misty and dark out.

Contact @chacal for parts (he has the correct ones, and most other resellers do not, but will be happy to sell you the wrong ones).

Further informative reading can be found in the links that reside in my signature.

You did fine dealing with the oil contaminated gas. Spark plugs will be fine as-is, but leave the oil fill cap off overnight to help the remaining fuel evaporate

Edwin Portillo likes this.
  3. Edwin Portillo

Edwin Portillo New Member

Thank you so much! I've been memorizing the warnings and am ready to take my time! In church of clean is vital between the forums and the videos I think I can do this I'll take pictures and post here if anything Thank you I will contact chacal, should I consider an inline filter? Does chacal also carry?

4. Njc009

Njc009 New Member

I’m all for inline filters, but get a good quality one. I got auto zones premium one (still cheap though) and the bike died on me while riding. After being stuck for two hours I found the inline fuel filter had bent and the feed nipple had crimped near shut. Took it off and put new line on and it runs great now!