1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

petcock woes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by maxim xjj, Sep 24, 2023.

1. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

I've got a 82 xj750j and something new just happen to have me write in for advise and knowledge. I took the petcock out to check to make sure the filter were not dirty and I noticed that the main tube and filter are not there. The resaerve side is still attached and clean filter. Being that the other tube is gone would this cause issues with? or any ideas if this would cause problems?

2. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

If the main tube is gone, you effectively have no reserve as the tank will drain to the bottom with the petcock switched to "ON". The lack of the filter tube also means the lowest point of the tank will funnel all stray rust and debris directly to the carbs. Not the end of the world if you have an additional in line filter. If not, your pilot jets become your filter, and that aint good.

Presumably you got it repaired, but if not, keep it switched to "RESERVE" at all times to maintain some filtering.

chacal, chris123 and k-moe like this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

contact info@xj4ever to get a correct replacement. If you're lucky the original one is still inside of the fuel tank and just needs to be shaken out. In either case it's a good idea to use a center punch to stake the metal along the side of the screen base in order to keep it held in.

chris123 likes this.
  4. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

5. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

Hey Roast644, thank you for the reply back and appreciate all that yopu guys to for me aqnd my bike