1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

please help my 81 xj 750 seca....front forks..??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jacemotes, Dec 4, 2011.

  1. jacemotes

    jacemotes New Member

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    i am having a tough time replacing the front fork seals on my 81 xj 750 seca. first of all if anyone has a link to view a repair manual , please let me know. on my forks, im not sure how much oil to put back in each tube. and after i take the bottom allen bolt out, why dosnt the fork tube split apart like most others ..? thanks for your help
     
  2. MercuryMan

    MercuryMan Active Member

    Messages:
    1,154
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Springdale, NWA
    First Welcome to XJBikes. Help is on the way.

    Sorry just saw your post. I am doing mine this winter so I have already done some research. It's not the easiest job, but not the hardest either and from what I've read some models have more difficult forks than others. Here's some of what I've found.

    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3 ... place.html

    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3 ... place.html

    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3 ... l+750.html

    You can also look in Chacal's XJ4Ever catalog and go to the section on forks. Useful information there.

    If you are still trying to do this in 2 weeks let me know because I will have mine done by then. Hopefully someone who has done this very thing on a bike just like yours will see this and chime in. Be patient. Meanwhile look into getting a manual for your bike, so far I've needed mine for several issues.
     
  3. ManBot13

    ManBot13 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,592
    Likes Received:
    177
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Fairfax, VA
    XJ 750 Seca Fork >SPECIFIC< rebuild can be found here

    WARNING: The wave washers inside the fork are unobtanium. Even chacal will tear down a whole set of forks just to sell you those washers. If you go about willy nilly slide-hammering the forks out, and bottom them too hard after removing the bottom allen bolt, the wave washers WILL get chewed to BITS.

    I know it wasn't reviewed very favorably, but might I suggest this method for driving the seals out. I built the following apparatus as a poor man's shop press. It WAS messy, but the internals were undamaged, even when the old bushings were twisted up and didn't want to be driven out.
     

Share This Page