1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Plug, Patch, Or a New Tire?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by i_am_the_koi, Mar 2, 2011.

?

How should I fix my tire?

1. Plug?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Plug and Patch?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. New Tire?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ride til it blows!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

I never realized you could put a tube in a tubeless tire....

I had it figured that they were different constructions for some reason and that it wasn't built to work that way....

I think I'm going to buy a second rim and try plugging the hole, having a back-up/spare tire for the bike, if it works, great, if not, no time lost.

I wound up buying a new tire from the local cycle-gear. The guy felt my pain and hooked up a new tire at cost.

as the majority here voted for a new tire, as well as all other research out there I could find. There were the flukes, just as there are when it comes to car oil vs bike oil that swear by the plug, but then there's the majority. Being new to the world of bikes, and remembering my first set of tires for my camaro, that also picked up a nail in their first week, I chocked it up to murphy. Granted, this one gets a hole I'm doing two things, bitching to bridgestone themselves, and plugging one/both before buying a new tire and a different brand.

Thanks to all opinions/votes!!!!!

2. waldo

waldo Member

Murphy hes everywhere!! If I have a question like yours I call the manufacturer Personally to me it depends on where the hole is how big it is and so on. I have used the plugs on my bikes but after that I dont push them as hard its that little voice

3. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I still do and I've seen plenty

I've also seen a lot of tyres with damage from being run underinflated which isn't picked up until the tyre is stripped off the rim and I've seen tyres explode from that damage while being inflated to check where the puncture is or while in service

The majority what i work with is car stuff but I have seen the same with bike tyres

edit: over the years I have also seen dozens of those plugs you insert from the outside continue to either leak slowly or fail altogether

4. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Reat tire? Plug it and don't give it a second thought. Front tire? Maybe or maybe not. The front your on my lt is over $200. If the tire was new I would probably plug it and watch it very closely. I carry a plug kit and air compressor so I wouldn't be stranded if the plug worked loose.

5. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

ok, let's try this. tires crack from neglect. not from patch or plug.

old tire. weather cracked from age.
    new tire. cracked from under inflation. (ABUSE)

it's neglect from the customer. not the repair.

tires also flex. causing the glue to dry and crack and lose the patch.
    plugs don't flex. but the glue could still dry out and crack.

plugs don't fail unless the hole was too big for the plug in the first place.
    or the person has an old tire that should have been discarded.
    or the tire still has a leak and the person didn't keep the pressure up.

any failure rate that does exist isn't because of the patch or plug. it's becuase people ARE STUPID AND LAZY and don't take care of there crap.

i too carry plugs and a compressor on my bike. people don't like it then that's there opinion. it's still cheaper then a tow bill. then they can do whatever tickles there fancy.

me personally. i'll take plug over patch any day. been driving for 30 years.
    have used nothing but plugs. AIN'T never had a problem.

tires fail becuase of old age. underinflation. and mileage wear.

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The reason plugs and or patches are not recommended is because of the possibility that there is structural damage to the tire, not because they might leak. A tube doesn't change that. If the tire fails the tube will be nothing more than an additional piece of rubber flapping around the wheel.

If you're bound and determined to reuse the tire going with just a tube might be the smartest option. At least that way there is no chance of causing structural damage rasping out the hole.

I don't doubt that most of the time you could use a plug/patch/tube and not have a problem. If you're the exception you could be in for a world of hurt.

7. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

looks like the debate is no longer an option now.

out here. you get a flat tire. youi buy a new tire. AND tube if the case may be.

patches and plugs are no longer done by a shop.

wonder if they'll be outlawed and banned from sales.

8. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I would recommend exactly what you did, i.e. go to a LOCAL shop and ask the guy who sees this happen 5 times a week or more, and knows all the rules and new technology and how it applies to your situation, can take off the tire to look at it, etc.

Some things you just don't get online. Running shoes, motorcycle tires, Russian brides...the slightly lower price just isn't worth the trouble and inability to see what you are purchasing.

I'd also send an email or letter to the customer service department at the online store you purchased from to let them know that you won't be buying anything else from them ever again...and neither will 1000 of your closest friends.

I'm a big fan of Cycle Gear too. It's great to be able to buy something online and still have a local shop to take it to. They also know that making $5 20 times is better than making $50 once.

9. waldo

waldo Member

This is what Dunlop has to say about tire repairs:
     TIRE REPAIR
    Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.
    Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform
    an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after
    repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise
    your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three
    (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected. See the
    Dunlop Service Advisory for additional motorcycle tubeless-tire repair
    information. Follow the same repair procedures for tires on rims requiring
    tube replacement. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any
    instructions to the repaired-tire user.
    Advise your customers that no form of temporary repair should be
    attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object
    may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.
    Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form
    of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask
    secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Advise your customers that reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and
    accident. If you want to read for yourself, http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/pdf/11D_FL_SAFETY.pdf
    Searching the websites of AVON, Bridgestone and Metzler did not turn up any recommendations on tire repair

10. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I've always had good results using the fiber type tire plugs in all the vehicles with just a hole in the tire. As long as the hole is small (1/8" or so) the tire plies shouldn't be damaged and a plug should do the trick. I would use one in my rear bike tire if the need arises, and not be too concerned. As far as a hole in a front tire, I'd use a tire plug to get where I'm going and address the problem when I get there.

11. Kickaha

Pretty short sighted attitude especially if it isn't a manufacturing fault which it is unlikely to be

12. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

Having now got the tire in hand and looking at it, it looks like I pissed off a bee and he put a hole in my tire, it's that small a hole. As much as I hate it, a can of fix a flat might have given me 5000 miles of life. I did get a new one installed however, and so ya'll know, cyclegear in my area had a 15 dollar road coverage plan, next hole is covered. ya live ya learn. buy local!

13. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I think the short sighted attitude is the one of stingy customer service. That is something an online business cannot afford. They have too much competition.

It may not be a manufacturing fault, it could be that it got punctured in shipping and processing, or all sorts of things.

But road damage without evidence or recollection of an event? That seems even less likely.

14. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

fix a flat in no way would give you 5000 miles of life.

the stuff only lasts 2 days at most. in which case it's all goopy water after that.

like i said before. that crap shoulda never been invented. it's just a can of air to get you to a shop before it leaks again.

if youi want a can of fix a flat. it's your money to waste. you still gotta buy a new tire. or dismount it and clean it and fix it. if your state still allows such repairs.

as for discounted tires online. it's not all bad. i needed new tires and the going rate was $350 from the local shops. and the mileage claim was 7k miles.

my bike just hit the 10k mark after 17 years. the original tires just came off. and the exact replacement just went back on. ordered online for $215.

since the originals lasted 10k. the replacements are the same and should also last 10k. for $135 less then what i can buy locally to only get 7k miles.

15. Kickaha

Possible but also very unlikely as it wouldn't take 6 days to go flat and it is actually a lot harder to puncture a tyre than you might think

I work in car tyres and I see that every day, I see no reason motorcycles would be any different

16. WacoBrian

WacoBrian Member

tube it!! and get back to enjoying your life

do not fixaflat or Gooo

17. whiterabbitwonder

whiterabbitwonder Member

So a funny story, I had a scooter (ack?!) while in maui (it was too expensive to ship a bike). They're great, 30mph max, 80mpg. Taught me patience, as I longed for my bike.
    Anyway, a few days after i got the scoot, it caught a nail in the tread, that went in at an angle and ripped up the sidewall from the inside. Plugging the tread hole was no big deal. But the sidewall? Then I read about this farmer who said he plugged sidewalls all the time, up to 5 of them in a row for a long tear. The tear in my sidewall was at least 3/4 inch.
    Anyway, I figured, since I can't really go fast enough to actually injure myself if it blew out, and it was the back tire, and a new one was $90 plus mounting, screw it I'm going to plug it. I put 4 plugs in side by side. It was supposed to be 25 psi, but could only hold 15 without leaking.
    Long story short, that sidewall plug lasted me a couple hundred miles and 6 more months before I left the island.
    But, that was a scooter. Nuff said.