1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pod Filter size for xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dustball, Mar 25, 2008.

1. dustball

dustball Member

Anyone know the size (mm) for the xj550 factory carbs? I'm looking at some k&n pod filters.. 47mm? or 51mm? Thanks

2. dustball

dustball Member

I think it's 52mm... and I think I answered my own question.... just asking if someone else had put these on their xj550

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

51mm...and they will just BARELY fit on the 550 carbs....the bottom plates end up touching, but not enough to prevent them from fitting......

af32) Aftermarket K&N high-flow, re-usable HIGH PERFORMANCE POD AIR FILTER ELEMENTS. Made from 4-6 layers of a tough cotton gauze material bonded between aluminum retainer screens, K&N individual "pod" air filters flow much more air than any other style air filter avalble, and can be cleaned, re-oiled, and re-used almost indefinitely. Each set of 4 pod filters comes with a tube of filter oil and cleaning/re-oiling instructions. You absolutely will have to re-jet your carbs when replacing a stock paper element with pod filters! Always check your plug insulator colors after installing any intake or exhaust modifications to insure proper mixture conditions and settings!

HCP1665 K&N high-flow Pod Air Filter Elements, with polished chrome end caps. Fits all XJ550, XJ650 (except Turbo), XJ700 non-X, and 1981-83 XJ750 models. Will also fit XJ700-X and XJ750-X models very tightly (those models can use either this set or the larger HCP1666 pod filter set listed below). Complete set of 4 pods:
    $ 124.00

HCP1666 K&N high-flow Pod Air Filter Elements, with polished chrome end caps. Fits all XJ700-X and XJ750-X models, XJ900RK, and XJ1100 models (XJ700-X and XJ750-X models can use either this set or the smaller HCP1665 pod filter set listed above). Complete set of 4 pods:
    $ 124.00

NOTE: both the HCP1665 and HCP1666 pod filters listed above come with a bright-plated "worm screw" flange clamping ring that is used to secure the pod to the carb intake throat. For an upgraded look, you can use this stock style "screw cinching" type of clamping ring for a more "factory" look!

HCP566 OEM pod air filter flange Clamping Ring, fits both the HCP1665 or HCP1666 pod air filters listed above, each:
    $ 6.00

HCP566SET4 OEM pod air filter flange Clamping Ring, set of 4:
    $ 22.00

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... t=180.html

garicao likes this.
  4. dustball

dustball Member

If 51 barely fits then I'll go 52 like the other guys here.. I've seen some after market ones on ebay for less than $40 shipped for all 4 so I think I'll go that route.. and they come with the clamps.. or any $.50 clamp will work ..

5. dustball

dustball Member

yep... I ordered them from ebay... got all 4 for $36.50 shipped... just typed in "52mm air" .. Next.. I'll take my girlfriends socks(thin type) and cut them up into boots for the new filters.. makes cleaning them a breeze! I use her socks and stretch them over my Jeep XJ k&n and it works awesome..... little trick I got from a mechanic

DarbyC likes this.
  6. chacal

Dust.......it's not a matter of the flange diameter (51mm, 52mm, etc.---which really determines which carb "throats" they will fit.....fyi, 550 carbs are 50.15mm throat O.D.), it's that the 550 carbs are spaced so close together........you'll find the same thing is true on all pod filters, regardless of mfg.

In fact, those $40 cheapie pods on eBay, if they are EMGO brand pod filters (which they probably are), have a pod "base" that is actually too wide to fit the 550's without hacking up the base, and of course that's going to allow unfiltered air into the carbs..........the K&N pod filter bases are shaped different (more an elongated oval rather than truly round) and that is the only reason they will just barely fit on 550 carbs......the truly round base filters are simply too close to fit each other.

garicao likes this.
  7. dustball

dustball Member

hmm.. dang... well they are on the way now... so I guess I'll have to make it work.. I can always wrap a rubber inner-tube, cherry tape, or some kind sealant to keep the unfiltered air out... thanx man... I just don't want to spend over $100 on air filters... my bikes far from show room quality for now.. so it's mainly just functionality... o yeah.. i want the pods too cuz I don't want to fuss with the airbox connectors.. seems like something that I would get frustrated on and smash...

8. chacal

Okay, good luck, let us know what you find. You MIGHT be able to get them to fit by trimming the "depth" of the rubber mounting flange a couple of mm's on two of the pod units, and then "staggering" one pod filter as fully far down onto the carb throat as possible, and then the adjoining pod filter, space it as far "out" (away from the carb body) as much as is possible, just having it hang onto the carb throat by the very end of the pod "flange"....in this manner, the pod bases may be "staggered" one behind the other enough to allow the bases to clear each other.....but you still may have to bash in the mesh filter "element" covering a bit to get the more deeply set filter base to clear the "futher out" filter mesh. Let me know what you find!

9. dustball

dustball Member

I see what you're saying... I don't mind if it's staggered.. might be kind of cool lookin.. if anything... maybe I can put them in a vice between 2 wood blocks and make them kind of an oval shape

10. maximuschop

maximuschop Member

Is it just me, I couldn't find any 51mm on ebay?

11. 07spacker

07spacker Member

i'm not sure if there is a difference but i used EMGO pod filters on my 650 and they fit just fine... don't interfere with one another anything..... hmmm...

DarbyC likes this.
  12. leaningleft

leaningleft Member

K&n part num rc2372 have a set on order myself still waiting for my local carparts store to get them. There a two in one filter .Still don't know how to load a pic to a post but a have them in my gallery if you wanted a look.

13. maximuschop

maximuschop Member

how much did those cost you?

14. chacal

The 650/700/750 Hitachi carbs have a wider spacing that the 550 Mikuni carbs, and the pods from almost any filter mfg. will fit those Hitachis just fine.

Same for all other series Mikuni carbs...they have throat center-to-center spacing that is wide enough to accept pods easily.

It is ONLY the 550 Mikunis that are jammed so tightly together (the #1/2 and the #3/4 carb "pairs") that makes pod filter installation a lost, and losing, art, rather than pure bolt-on mechanical science.

HCP1738 Aftermarket chrome EMGO wire-mesh POD AIR FILTERS, fits all XJ650, XJ700, and XJ750 models with HITACHI carbs and all XJ700-X models with the MIKUNI carbs. One filter does one carb. Each:
    $ 9.50

HCP1738SET4 Aftermarket chrome EMGO wire-mesh POD AIR FILTERS, fits all XJ650, XJ700, and XJ750 models with HITACHI carbs and all XJ700-X models with the MIKUNI carbs. One filter does one carb. Set of 4:
    $ 29.50

HCP5739 Aftermarket chrome EMGO wire-mesh POD AIR FILTERS, fits all XJ900 and XJ1100 models with the MIKUNI carbs. One filter does one carb. Each:
    $ 9.50

HCP5739SET4 Aftermarket chrome EMGO wire-mesh POD AIR FILTERS, fits all XJ900 and XJ1100 models with the MIKUNI carbs. One filter does one carb. Set of 4:
    $ 29.50

15. 07spacker

07spacker Member

hmmm so is suppose it it just the spacing... well i'm glad i have a 650!

16. willierides

willierides Member

I have "ebay" pods on my '81 650. They are probably Emgo....I bought them so long ago that I can't remember. They are a snug fit, space-wise. I have to kind of wiggle them in there and the "bases" of the filter portions to kind of snuggle up against each other. See? Instead of "interfere with each other" I used the term "snuggle" and made it all nice.

God, I hope the weather turns soon. I'm getting a tad screwy.....I need to ride something besides this keyboard.

17. leaningleft

leaningleft Member

K&N 2in1 filters from K&N costing me 110.00 each but then just need two_Only place i could find em.

18. oz_johnno

oz_johnno New Member

How about jetting changes? I imagine with more air coming in the bike will run a bit lean. I'm wanting pods on my '81 xj seca as well.