1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pod Filters?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Scizor, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

And I clean and oil them regularly with a K&N recharge kit. 1 kit usually does about 3 cleanings.

2. sybe

sybe Active Member

They had no style

Polock likes this.
  3. sybe

sybe Active Member

Who ever does buy pods, the one thing i recommend to buy are water repellent pre filters. https://www.outerwears.com/products.asp?cat=12582 is where i get mine. I leave them on all the time to give extra protection from dirt. When i wash the bike my UNI filters are bone dry afterwards. its awesome. I used to only put them on when i went to work in case there was a surprised shower, then i got lazy.

Mobius Williams likes this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

what jets did you use?

5. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

I still have the stock jets in......or at least the ones that were in the carbs when I got the bike. I'd have to check what size for sure on my next cleaning. Did a carb rebuild, running sync, and tuned in my mixing screws and that's it. No issues whatsoever. Except of course when it rains.

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

And what happens when it rains? Bear in mind water is used as an in cylinder coolant and nox reducer generally, and that it takes qite a lot to actually quench a burn enough to cause a misfire?
    Someone I knew once used to race a Renault v6, turbocharged to 30 psi. His answer to detonation - water injection, "p**s it in" was his phrase I recall....

7. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

It gets in the passages in the carbs and causes a state of really crappy running until I clean the carbs. They really have to get drenched for this to happen mind you......but it has happened to me.

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

And if the coils pick up a little moisture through a crack, you’re gonna be really stuck

9. DoubleTigerLefty

DoubleTigerLefty Member

Yeah, it's true, there might be some niggling losses that we might not notice, but in the end, if you're happy with it, and it works well enough to get around on it, then they work.

I just found an ebay store called sigma 6 racing that does jet kits for custom setups. I messaged them my setup, and they've already shipped my kit. Will report. Will note that I am dealing with an xs400 j maxim, which has offset jets, left bigger than the right, so I was VERY uncertain about where to start. For $80 canadian and allegedly a lot of time saved, I reckon I'll be happy.

Mobius, I'm so glad you're saying it's your daily. That's my plan, too. These bikes seem like they could run forever. How many miles you got?

I just did a bunch of niggling tinkering (like rebuilding the brake caliper) because the bike sat for at least 4 years after last start. carbs looked interesting. So it's a little rough still, but another carb clean should do it. Will pre-emptively get throttle shaft seals just in case, but she rides for now.

10. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

I don't have the original odo on the bike. But when I got the bike it originally had over 75,000 miles on it. Was set up for touring and had the original factory manual with every service since it was new jotted down in the back. So with the 3 years I've been riding it I know it's gotta be well over 100,000 by now. Had 2 different clusters on so I can't add up a completely accurate answer unfortunately.

11. DoubleTigerLefty

DoubleTigerLefty Member

Thanks for easing my worries, mate. I'm setting mine up as a scrambler with a big tank, aimed at adventure. Not the most ideal, sure a drz would've worked better, but when you have limited funds and lots of time, this is the preferred route.

12. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

Dont forget to replace your carb boots. They end up leaking over time and screw up your sync. If you haven't already. You can get a set on ebay now for like 25.00 usd.

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

there were some intake manifolds from ebay that have fallen apart. don't know if their still around or not.
    just say'en

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That's the same ones.
    Utter crap.

15. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

Fair enough. I just saw them when I was doing some browsing. Got a little upset because when I bought mine the only ones I could find cost me 90 I believe. If that's the case though I guess I'm glad I got the pricey ones. Good to know.

k-moe likes this.
  16. 50gary

50gary Active Member

"And I clean and oil them regularly with a K&N recharge kit. 1 kit usually does about 3 cleanings."
    Have you read the K&N recommendations on cleaning intervals? Almost funny really clean every 50,000 miles
    for highway use. K&N are virtually a lifetime air filter system, better for the environment than throw-aways
    Cheers, 50gary

17. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

Yea I clean them way more frequently than that. When I do they are filthy too. My pods aren't K&N's though. They are however made to run dry or oiled. I find it convenient to use the K&N recharge kit because it has everything together already.

18. sybe

sybe Active Member

Invest in pre filters for the pods. If it rains you put them on. No water problem. takes two seconds. You can even get away with just putting then on the 2 outside filters.

19. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

I'll definately have to look into those. Would you happen to have a link?

20. sybe

sybe Active Member