1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Preferred Tunes!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Gabriel, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

My tastes fluctuate depending on mood...
    Obscure/mainstream 80's metal,
    Progressive rock ala Genesis, Yes, ELP, King Crimson Kansa etc...
    90's Dishwalla, Gin Blossoms, Tonic, Alice in Chains etc...
    Anything Chris Cornell touchess lol
    John Mayer, City and Color..

just a rough idea, never on the bike though, fully agree with Fitz'assessment

And Fitz ..... Stan Rogers? ever make it up this way for the festival?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not yet, but it would be a good destination. Something about his voice and lyrics just strikes a chord with me. Another great talent lost too soon.

3. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

So very true. It seems like most of these band's best works were their first album or two. Perhaps it was the 80s that destroyed good music :p

See, you don't have to be "old" to listen to good music.

4. Gabriel

Gabriel Member

Ah crap. How could i forget about "The Dan?" I'm a bad fan...

Favorite album...?

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Only ONE?

Volunteers, Jefferson Airplane.

6. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

I haven't been listening while riding long. Just playing around with the bluetooth functionality of my Scala com system.
    At work we have a thing about what kinds of music are acceptable no matter how much we enjoy them. ACDC is about as hard as we rock since when the Metallica and Slipknot get going all the nuts and bolts mysteriously get torqued too tight and parts get clamp marks in them from overtightening vices. I carry this to riding music. Keep it on Airborne Toxic Event, Kings of Leon etc.
    Out on some far off hwys I'll cut loose with Tech N9ne, Kottonmouth Kings, Ozzie, Rammstein, Manson though I don't recommend it. The darn speedo needle just keeps sneaking up and up.
    Keep the volume down but really, my exhaust is obnoxiously, retardedly loud so I'm not losing an situational awareness due to the noise coming from inside my helmet.
    I'm gonna keep at it for another week or two then go back to without and see how I feel about it. Just like any other potentially distracting activity it's paramount to catch yourself if your mind wanders. unacceptable.

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You mean that you DON'T like the second grade level rhymes?

Pollack's got it right though....it's amazing how much the noise can fatigue you when riding. My ear plugs drown out all the "right" noise without blinding me to the "wrong" noise, and they leave me arriving fresh and awake.

Like others, I'm pretty eclectic with my music and my little mp3 player is mostly loaded with old school rock to keep me fired up but the music only comes on when the road is long and empty....usually with several hundred miles stretching in front of me.

jeff

8. XJNEWFIE

XJNEWFIE Member

I have to respectfully disagree with such a blanket statement.

If you are listening to music at an obscene volume where you cannot hear anything but the music, I'd have to agree with you... but if the volume is low enough to allow you to hear your surroundings, I don't think it's a safety issue. I can't claim to have the riding experience you have (which is why I respect your opinion on the topic), however I think my 17 years riding experience allows me a pretty decent opinion here (which just so happens to differ in this case).

Cheers

9. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

I feel the same way. I have never listened to music loud enough where I couldn't hear the vehicles around me. I feel ear plugs would be much more of a hazard

I can understand the reasoning though. But a good sounding motor will typically make me sleepy :p

10. redsix

redsix Member

I'm too new to riding to feel comfortable with tunes in. I'd probably enjoy it for the first minute or so, and then it would make me so nervous that'd I'd have to pull over and turn it off.