1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Project Cheap Racer

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by kookie31, Dec 8, 2010.

1. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

It's either way rich or burning oil.

Toss a fresh set of (the correct) plugs in there and check again after a ride or two.

Best to take the pictures against some brown card borad for us internet folks to see.

Search "plug chops" and you'll find pictures good and bad and all over in between.

NGK Plugs should only cost about $8 for the set and you can get them at any autozone or advance usually. BP7ES I believe.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It could be overly-rich from misadjusted float levels, and it's dumping fuel.

OR, it's in need of valve stem seals (or even rings.)

Have you A: checked the valves? B: done a compression test? C: checked the float levels using fuel and the "clear tube method?"

3. kookie31

kookie31 Member

@iwingameover: sorry bout the pics. I'm going to get some plugs when i get off work.

@bigfitz52: A: No (not sure how but there probaly some info somewhere on this site). B: No (dont have a compression tool). C: Will check when I get home.

I'm new at this I probaly messed something up but I'm not telling my wife that :)

Also: Would running a hotter plug (BP6ES) help or would that just cause more problems?

4. iwingameover

This is how to do valves: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14827.html

It's fitz's write up. Top notch.

Compression tester can be had at the same autozone you get your plugs at for about $25. Some may have a loaner for free.

Valves should be check/fixed prior to your compression test so as not to give false readings.

I don't think I know your wife so you're probably safe there.

5. kookie31

kookie31 Member

thx for the link. that looks like something that will have to wait when i get a day off (if that ever happens).
    do you think running hotter plugs (BP6ES) is a bad idea or possible help since it seems to be running rich? i dont think its burning oil (wouldn't there be traces on the plugs?)
    sorry to sound like i'm asking dumb questions i'm just trying to find the easiest fix with the least amount of time needed (since i really dont have alot between work and home)

6. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I don't think that exists in owning a motorcycle, especially an old one! :roll:

7. kookie31

kookie31 Member

good point. looks like im just going to have to deal with the sh*t storm my wife is going to give me when i take this thing apart. :D

8. iwingameover

Make sure you have donuts and a gasket BEFORE you take it off. The old donuts won't seal the cover back on if they've been there for awhile.

There are no shortcuts. You can do it right or do it again.

The valves don't take long at all. A bit of a pain the first time but after it's no big deal.

Have you had the carbs apart? (didn't read back through) Jets in the right place? What size? Maybe drilled?

9. kookie31

kookie31 Member

i didnt take them completely apart. just the bowls and the diaphram and piston. shot some carb cleaner through them with a small straw. didnt check jet size but they may be larger than stock if its running rich. or it could be something else

10. Maxim-X

With flipping the bars around and other stuff you've done is it possible that the choke (enrichment) is not completely off, therefore running on the rich side. Just throwing it out there.

11. kookie31

kookie31 Member

i didnt think about that. something to check. i will kick my own ass if that what it is :lol:

12. Maxim-X

Sometimes it's easy to over think an issue and not consider the obvious, I think we've all done it a time or TEN. (I know I'm guilty) :oops:
    ...and from your earlier post, it sounds like your wife is quite capable of doing it for ya! :roll:
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

13. kookie31

kookie31 Member

Well I checked the float levels (that was fun) and they were a lil high (18mm) on all four carbs and there was a lil slack in the choke so i closed that all the way. I got some new plugs and going to ride it a lil bit and check tonight when I get home to see if that helped.

14. moellear

moellear Member

may as well check 'em wet too. use clear tube method on bowl drains and it'll tell you the amount of fuel sitting in the bowls that way you KNOW how much fuel is in there. its the only way you'll know for sure.. search on here for "float height" and you'll find a pic of approx how high fuel levels should be. its a PITA but worth checkin if the carbs are off

15. kookie31

kookie31 Member

Well found and corrected the problem. Valves werent closing all the way. I did a motor flush to get the old oil outta there gave her an oil change (duh). New plugs and shes running just fine. So, since I got that fixed (fingers crossed) I decided that she needed a lil sprucing up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still working on the tail section and some side covers. I will post more pics this weekend

16. Maxim-X

What is the #7 in reference to? If I missed something in an earlier post, sorry.

17. kookie31

kookie31 Member

Its a lucky number for me. I was also born June 7th so it really fits

18. kookie31

kookie31 Member

Well I got some more work done on the bike
    mocked up the side plates
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Side plates mounted and base coat sprayed
    [​IMG]
    Got some clip ons on the way so the old bars are off. Also gotta add the white stripes to the side plates and tail section before clearing it all. Seat upholstery should be here by the end of the week

19. grinder

grinder Member

man that thing looks full of purpose.hope she goes as good as she looks.

20. kookie31

kookie31 Member

Well I finally got her dialed in before I did the redo so she should be a great runner. Cant wait to button this girl up and hit the road (again lol)