1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Project> "Looky What I Found"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Cheesy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

LOL....I can honestly say I've never heard a description like that before! Thanks for the kind words though! 8)

Hey mcrwt644.... I wouldn't say I've done any proffesional fabrication, but I did work as a Truck/Trailer technician for ten years, rebuilding tanker trailers, been welding for 12 years, and wrenching since age 10. Just something I enjoy as a past time, and feel I have a decent eye for.

Thanks again for the kind words guy's! Well...time to put the kids to bed, and get back at'er!

2. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

i wouldn't worry about the lack of bracing at the front fender mount...I've seen way to many bikes with no front fender that weigh waaaay more than the max's and have dual discs with no issues whatsoever...NICE WORK btw.

3. Stinky

Stinky Member

I have been without a front fender for a long time. Never had any problems but you did a good job making that fender look good so it's use it. Well done.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Work of ART!

5. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks for the added info. and comments guy's!

Got a bit more done last night, and this morning. Painted up the tail light, and figured out a way to mount the seat. Had to figure this out before I could re-cover the seat. Anyway's this is what I came up with...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The foam in the seat is not to dense at all, and really squished down when installing the vinyl. Perhaps a little more than I like, but I guess that will have to be a sacrifice in odrer to have a nice tight fit

As well, here are a couple full side pics., as requested. As well as a couple more, showing the progress....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The green tape is there to give me a visual of what I think the paint will look like. Right now, I'm thinking on doing it all flat black, with a single (flat) red stripe, running from front to back. Anyway...Off to hack up the microwave.

Cheesy!

6. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Oh Ya.....Found a set of brand new pods locally, for $40 shipped to my door. Should be here is a few days! 8)

Guess I better get those carbs. cleaned up this weekend as well!!

7. IkeO

IkeO Member

VERY nice man! wow its looking great. what did you do to paint. im interested in learning how to paint as well. any info is appriciated. looking really good right now man! that tail light turned out perfect and your seat looks WAY good with it covered. im glad it actually got smaller. i think it fits better.

8. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks IkeO..... I wasn't 100% sold on the seat, and if I had another one I would probably try something a little different. Oh well..... Just have to work with what I'm giv'en 8) As for the paint.....Spray Bomb Baby!!! Just using up what I have laying around at the moment. Although I'm going to have to run out and buy a couple more cans of the "Automotive Flat Black Paint". I painted the springs silver, then sprayed them with a candy red. Plan on doing a few accent pieces that way. Not to much though, just enough to give it a bit of colour.

Anyway....I got to hacking away at my microwave, and come up with these..........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it helps proportion the seat a little bit more, now that the side covers are on. Almost gives it a bit of a Flat Track Racer look in the same sense.

I'm still seeing a few more good parts on the microwave as well. And for some reason, I'm feeling an over whelming desire to incorporate the "Popcorn" button, now that I've officially used a microwave to build my bike :lol:

[​IMG]

9. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

why not POTATO? J/K...can you talk a bit about your taillight and how you cut the lens and how the lens and bulbs are held in place??? Thanks, and btw your side panels are amazing...I'm not sold on the seat springs though. Especially if they aren't functional...

10. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

Looks great.What are you using for engine paint?Thanks

11. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks for the kind words dw! Here is some more info. Hopefully it answers any questions you may have....

The springs are some what functional. Not in a way that they act as seat suspension, but in the way that they help support the rear of the seat. I felt they looked better than just the plain mounting bolts. Definately not for everybody though 8)

As for the tail light, I used the existing socket, and backing plate out of the original. I simply cut it down to fit inside the fender, and bent the bottom portion of the backing plate backwards on a 90 degree angle to act as a "L" bracket. Then fastesed it down with two self tapping screws, and drilled a hole to run the wires....

[​IMG]

Then I just Sicoflexed the front fender cover down, both inside, and out...

[​IMG]

I then used an angle grinder with cutting wheel to cut my lense out of the existing lens. Shaped it with a soft disk, and alligned, and drilled the holes..

[​IMG]

Here is an end shot, to show you the existing nuts that I used to mount the lense....

[​IMG]

The lense was a very snug fit, so didn`t need any collars to hold the lense in place. The fender actually tapers as well, which acts as a stop for the lense.

Cheesy!

12. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks Bean..... `The engine was painted when I got the bike, but I`m told that a high temp. paint was used.

Got a bit more done...... Painted front fender, and side covers. Took carbs apart, cleaned, re-assembled, and detailed....

Before...
    [​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

13. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Got the hand controls on, bled the front brakes, ran some cables, and did some more wiring. I also got to some painting as well. I decided to go with a Candy Red stripe, instead of my original flat red stripe idea. I think it turned out rather well. Not perfect, but then again, it's not a show bike....

Front Fender....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tail Section...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Filled the indents on the tank, where the emblems where. May have to do a final coat with spotting putty. Will know better after I sand it tomorrow. Also have the base silver layed down. Hopefully get it finished up tomorrow some time.

P.S.> NO.....That's not a straw in my beer, lol..... That was used to bleed the front brakes :wink:

14. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

Looking good man, great idea with the stripe too.

P.S. You know you sip your beer with a straw you don't have to lie. HAHAHAHAA

15. Ease

Ease Member

Looks excellent!
    Cool paint, sweet taillight and great job on the carbs!

16. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

Yeah forgot to mention the tailight.. thats a sweet looking arse end.

17. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

very very nice...

18. Timetonut

Timetonut Member

So when do we get to see the tank back on this?

19. IkeO

IkeO Member

what kind of paint are you using?

20. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks Guy's! I'm quite happy with the way the tail light turned out as well. Saved me a bit of cash too. With any luck, I'll have the tank completed tomorrow evening. Hard to get motovated at doing body work, when you hate it, lol. I am however anxious to see it done as well! I should have most of the day free tomorrow to get back at it though. As for paint, this is it....

[​IMG]