1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Project> "Looky What I Found"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Cheesy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. willierides

willierides Member

Damn. I haven't looked at this thread since waaay back in December (not sure how I missed all the updates). This bike is looking awesome! I'm impressed. It almost makes me look forward to next winter so I can spend some time working on my projects! Moved into a new house this past winter and I have yet to even finish my annual winter tear downs on our dirt bikes, let alone work on the Maxim.

I really really like the paint and the silver just made it pop and finished it off sweetly. I'm really diggin' it.

2. veedub88

veedub88 Member

What did you use for the black wrap? I've been trying to find a cheap coverup for my pipes

3. Stinky

Stinky Member

It's just exhaust header wrap in black. I found it on ebay.

4. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Yup...What Stinky said..... E-Bay is by far the cheapest that I've seen. The speed shops charge an arm, and a leg.

Not much left on this build, other than controls. Then cables, and wiring. I'll continue to cover the remaining mods., as well as seek information when it comes to trouble shooting, etc...

I'd like to thank the great people here for providing me with their vast knowledge, and great inspiration through out this project. It has been a very fun build, and I hope I may have helped inspire others, as they have inspired me with their builds and wonderful input, and comments.

Truely an Amazing Site !!!

Thanks Everyone !!!!

Cheesy!

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

We're proud of YOU ... Cheesy!

All the work and sweat you poured into that project SHOWS!
    Very nice, indeed!

Nice work, guy.
    I know it wasn't easy.

Guy's like you make it look too easy.
    But, we ALL know ... it AIN'T!

6. englishsandwich

englishsandwich Member

I have to say, these builds aren't my thing...but it's looking good! It seems like you are doing it right, and I eagerly await the results. Thanks for the paint tips. I have an involuntary oppurtunity to do some engine detailing (bent 2nd gear fork = spring engine rebuild), and was going to shoot the tops of my carbs.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: you have me looking at header wrap now too. It seems it is either 15' or 50' only. I am nervous that 15' will not be enough--How much did you need? Thanks.

7. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks Rick...Appreciate the kind words.

Thanks as well english...... You will definately need the 50' roll, as 15' is not near enough. I used approx. 6' per header pipe. I'd suggest giving yourself 7', just so you have a little extra to work with. Makes it easier to keep the last bit nice and tight. I also soaked mine in warm water before wrapping it as well, just to help get the stretch, and it will pull tighter when it dries as well.

Another thing I found benificial, was to use stainless gear clamps, as opossed to stainless zip ties. I found the ties never pulled, and stayed tight enough. I'm sure they would have fallen off after the first few rides.

Cheesy!

8. englishsandwich

englishsandwich Member

Thanks, I will post the results when I get it down. (still need to get the engine sorted).

9. atlantiandreams

atlantiandreams New Member

WOW your bike is looking extremley tight you have a lot of talent. i was looking over all your posts and sorry if i missed it somewhere, but i was wondering what you filled in the gas tank logo indents with, and what type of paint you used on the tailpipes.
    good luck with future projects.

10. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

is the exhaust bracketed? as in connected to the frame at any point?

11. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

It is connected on both sides, just behind the swing are bolt. If you need/want a couple close up's, just let me know.

Cheesy!

12. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks for the kind words! I used a High Heat paint, (with ceramic) rated for 1200 degrees, for the tail pipes. Purchased at Canadian Tire, and made by Dupli-Color. Not sure what the equivelent auto/hardware store would be in the US, but it should be readily available. As for the tank, I simple used body filler. Remember to knock down, or cut of the connecting tabs first though, as they do tend to stick out a little further than flush. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheesy!

13. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

For Sale !

14. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

SOLD!!!

Guess that concludes this build

Hey Dan....I did snap the pictured of the side cover mounts before it was sold. I will upload them, and fire off the pictures soon.

Cheesy!

15. crispy

crispy New Member

Cheesy meet Crispy; Crispy, Cheesy. LOL. Hey, excellent build man! I guess selling it must have been bittersweet eh? Anyhow, I really appreciated the thorough write-up you did along the way. Kinda got me thinking about trying to find a basket case to work into a ratbike. Currently I have an '82 Seca 400 and am slowly but surely working it into a cafe bike. I think if I find the time I will document the project like you have done. Awesome work!

Cheers,
    Chris

16. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Hey Chris...Thanks for the kind words. It was a fun build for sure. Would have been nice to see it 100% finished though. Hate not following through with what I started, but time is definately not on my side at this point in time. I'm sure I'll build something up again this winter again, as I do every year. Have a couple idea's rolling around in my head right now :idea:

Be sure to document your build. Sure it takes alot longer, but it is well worth it in the long run. Getting others input and ideas is always helpful, and sharing your own ideas and knowledge is alway's rewarding. Had I not documented my build with lots of pics., it would have taken twice as long to explain how I made a tail light and side panels out of a microwave, and a hunk of fender :lol:

17. short_circutz

short_circutz Active Member

I've had mixed results with the "anodizing" paint...and I found out the hard way that it is NOT fuel resistant as it states on the can.I used purple on my bike, and after a couple years, the purple on the flames painted on the gas tank started shrinking and cracking under the clearcoat, as well as the anodizing paint on the front fender.

I tried it on the air cleaner and valve covers on my '91 S-Blazer (in blue this time), and it has worked good so far on the valve covers, but for some reason, it shrank and cracked on the air cleaner.

Now, the Duplicolor Mystify pain worked well for me. (used it as the "base" color on the gas tank). Clear engine enamel makes for a good fuel resistant clear coat.

18. mfchapman

mfchapman Member

I'm a little late but that bike is a beauty! Love the chopped rear fender. Did you try any risers to clear the tank with the drag bars? I'm having a tank-clearing problem on my 85 maxim 700 and I've got some 1 1/2" risers (adjustable) on order. Hope that solves the problem. Any input on extending the length of the bars to allow the controls to clear?

Awesome job.
    Marshall

19. schooter

schooter Active Member

wow, thanks for digging this up, its a nice bik, ive been here 3-4 months, and i dont think ive seen cheesy, so your answer wont get answered, but man, this is hte kind of thing i was wanting to do this winter, build a bobber. his is really nice tho, and i have lots of questions to ask but i know they wont get answered

20. mfchapman

mfchapman Member

thanks schooter.