1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

pushing???

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by rotax74, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. rotax74

    rotax74 Member

    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    ROME,NY
    when i go to move my bike around in the garage or park on the side of the street i cant move forwards or backwards with the wheel cocked left or right is something hanging up, and its not because im not strong enough me and my friend cant even move it when the wheel is cocked unless i use the engines power like i always do.. just hoping somebody would have a good cheap answer to my problem
     
  2. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    The first thing to do is see if the Brakes are too tight.
    Put the bike on the Center Stand.
    Put the Bike in Neutral.
    Rotate the Rear Wheel ... it should rotate freely.
    If not the Rear Brakes could be too tight.

    Press down on the rear of the seat to elevate the Front Wheel.
    Spin the Front Wheel.
    The Wheel should rotate freely.
    If it does not the Front Brakes are hanging-up and need to be overhauled and lubed.
     
  3. grimreaper169

    grimreaper169 Member

    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Mims,Fl.
    Rick what about the axel not being in the center of the forks. I have my thoughts on this mater. My bike is very hard to back out of the shop when I am turning the forks. Tell us what you know about why the axel is ahead of the center of the forks.

    Most all of your dirt bikes have this kind of setup. Makes them more nimble and agial. I have never seen this configreation on a street bike untial I got my xj750.
     
  4. rotax74

    rotax74 Member

    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    ROME,NY
    that is a very interesting idea, cause my front wheel and rear wheel both spin freely realy well.. would love to learn more about the front axel.. thanks
     
  5. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    I think they did it (moved the axle to the front of the fork) on the streetbikes to be able to make the lower fork longer to accomodate the anti-dive on the Seca models...the difference in steering geometry is minor, it does make the front more knife-edge steering-wise...
     
  6. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    I have never given that a thought until I read about it, right here, just a moment ago.

    What? Mod lower tubes for an extra degree or two of Rake rather than re-weld Frames already in the assembly process?

    I don't know.
    I'll have a look at my bike tomorrow and see if I can come-up with a better idea.
     
  7. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    Having the axle ahead of the fork does give another couple inches fork length without having to raise the top of the triple tree.
     
  8. grimreaper169

    grimreaper169 Member

    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Mims,Fl.
    Just those couple of degrees of rake are what is making the bike hard to move when the forks are turned.
     
  9. grimreaper169

    grimreaper169 Member

    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Mims,Fl.
    Hey Rick what do you think?
     

Share This Page