1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Quick Fix!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bigfitz52, Jul 18, 2014.

1. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Bump. Just cuz.

2. ImmPoser

ImmPoser Member

I'm so guilty of this. This bike has been my regular form of transportation for years. Despite, or perhaps because of, that I've never put in the time effort and money to make it right. Instead I've just focused on keeping it running. But now my girlfriend has fallen in love with it and I'm not gonna let her ride my 30+ year old death trap. That and having just had the rear brakes lock up on me has convinced me of the need to do things right. Thankfully I bought a parts bike last year and spent a few hours with my dad stripping it down to the frame. Now I can start fresh and only put on good working reliable pretty parts. She'll be like a brand new bike.

3. RaCCoonRoCkStar

RaCCoonRoCkStar New Member

- I just purchased my first bike (XJ750 Maxim) yesterday...
    This could be the most single terrifying post I've read here... ;) Although it is a lot of truth and I am excited to get my hands dirty...

Thanks!

4. drifter

drifter Member

[quote="bigfitz52]

You WILL NEED to do the work yourself; honest shops won't touch thirty-plus year old bikes and those that will are just going to take your money and make matters worse.
    [/quote]

Often true not always.. I am blessed with a mechanic that also is a vintage bike enthusiast he let's me pick his brain and gives advice on turning my own wrench... Infact encorages it and he doesnt clean out my wallet when i need his help..very reasonable..learning to turn your own wrench is good advice .. Helps to get real intimate with your machine .. Just my opinion I am a newb for the most part :)

5. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

It helps to find a good shop to hang out at. I had one in Clearwater when I was living in Florida, guy specialized in exotics and sportbikes in general and managed a couple small AMA teams when he could find good riders, but at the same time he worked on vintage stuff. I met him through a friend of a friend while I had my Ducatis, started hanging out at his shop and helped him with a few things given most of my bikes were at the time 70's era. Great shop, should have gone to work for him full time but I wanted to stick with construction. Now I'm stuck in Texas, sigh.

Look for independent shops if you are trying to find one, and start with little stuff like tires and chain/sprocket stuff, things any shop can do. Get a feel for them, get to know the mechanics, seriously just hang out and chat and you'll find out if you are welcome or not, and more importantly if your bike will be welcome. Still, it helps to figure out your bike on your own.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The 750 doesn't have a chain/sprocket drive.... They're shafties. If you mean internal chain/sprocket stuff, a newbie won't be at that level for hopefully a long time. I'd say start learning with brakes tires first.

Dave

7. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Well granted in THIS case the chain/sprocket is not a good example, but you get my drift. Throw your local shop a bone with some little stuff and see if you get along with them. If you are getting new tires, DO NOT BRING TIRES TO THEM, I have met few shop owners that appreciate customers bringing parts to them and causing them to lose the markup on parts. Yes you could buy the tires cheaper yourself, but shops don't make much money on labor rates alone. Again, throw them a bone if you want to build a relationship with them.

8. Old_Ironsights

Old_Ironsights Member

I'm kinda in the same both as a previous poster, in that my 81 is my "daily" commuter.

Add to that that I have neither a garage (just a small tin shed for wintering), nor tools, nor mechanical ability beyond re-attaching the tach cable when it falls off the head (again), I'm in a pretty rough spot w/o a gear head to help me out. (I DO have the '81 printing of the XJ650G Service Manual, but I can actually read Greek better...)

So, I HOPE I can find someone around here (Riverton WY/BFE) I can work with. Lots of Big Twin guys, but not so many UJM cranks... (sigh).

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Want to keep the tach cable from falling off the head?

The next time you tighten it, HOLD the ferrule on the cable itself (it has flats on it for that purpose) to keep it from turning when you tighten the collar.

If the cable turns when you tighten the collar, it "winds up" and preloads itself to unscrew.

10. Old_Ironsights

Old_Ironsights Member

Heh. And thus you see how completely non-mechanical I am.

Discuss Politics, Philosophy, Comparative Theology or fix a firearm, I'm good. Grease & wrenches, not so much.

11. EarMachine

EarMachine Member

I realize this is an old post but still a gooder.
    I bought my bike knowing next to nothing, and all I know is I need to be patient and that I can't be cheap or cut corners on safety or cleanliness.
    haven't had the chance to meet Fitz but have learned most of what I know from what he has written.
    So cheers to wherever you are and hope alls well
    -EM

12. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Have not heard from Bigfitz in a long time......he must be on a much needed perpetual vacation

13. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

I seen this thread and seen bigfitz pic and was like he's back but I was wrong

14. REVELCAL

REVELCAL Member

My personal philosophy when buying old vehicles (including this 550 I just picked up)
    If it starts, runs and stops its worth something as a vehicle. If it doesn't do those things its worth something as a project or as parts. I don't need more projects or parts.
    If it runs one month for every $100 I spend on it, its worth it. Thats less than a car/bike payment. For example, I spent $700 on my 550, it should self destruct by the new year if its a warm fall, maybe last until spring if the fall/winter sucks. I spent $100 on oil, filter, plugs, air filter. Thats should get me another month from it. I'll spend $100 on RevelCal's Big Carb Weekend. That buys me another month. I'll spend $100 on new brake parts. There is another month. etc etc etc. I might be spending some of these hundreds up front to keep me from dying in a fireball of brakeless glory... but all I think is "I'm adding 1 month of riding time to the bike" every time I spend it. After a while I'll run out of months to buy, because I've "paid the bike off" (ie made all the $100 monthly payments I can to fixing it up and there is nothing left but the regular routine maint.) Either that, or it breaks down to the point that there is no point in making more payments. In that case I add up my payments, compare it to the months,and hopefully I came out ahead of the game. If I don't, then hopefully I can craigslist it or part it out for the difference.

TL;DR: I make $100 a month bike payments to my self for my XJ550 instead of to a harley dealership for a street 500. Natch.

BaldWonder likes this.
  15. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Moderator Sticky Please

wgul likes this.
  16. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

There should be a NEW MEMBER READ FORUM that include threads like this. Imo THE INFORMATION OVERLOAD HOUR should be the first post.

Gary H.

Stumplifter likes this.